Thread: any1 have the SEGACD MultiBIOS file?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default any1 have the SEGACD MultiBIOS file?

I'm looking to do the Sega cd region mod to my Segacd. I understand the procedure, but need to burn the eeprom.

Does any one know where I can find the file? Does anyone have it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I could use this file too. It used to be at segaxtreme.com, but that no longer seems to be available as well.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'm thinking you could get away with each bios rom stacked into one image, burn it onto an eprom of the appropriate size and then alternate the address lines that are accessed with a mechanical switch of some kind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have some of the MultiBIOS chips available if anyone is interested. I got them directly from Arakon himself. He does not want the image file distributed freely since it took him effort to build it.
    Check out my site for Turbo Grafx/Duo, PCE, SuperGuns, and Sega Genesis mods and more.....
    http://www.multimods.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That makes sense. Not *legal* sense as it contains copyrighted SEGA code.

Does Arakon have some current contact info? I'd be happy to buy a couple from him if the price is fair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what I gather, 'Arakon' made a few changes to the BIOS images that removed the code that checks the Genesis's region setting.

Since adding region switches to a Genesis is trivial compared to adding a multibios, I don't see what the big deal is.

All you have to do is cat the BIOS images together, burn them to an appropriate larger-size EPROM, and add your own manual bankswitching method.

Before you burn the image, you need to byteswap it. Otherwise you'll get a blank screen on boot.

Also, I'd consider ditching the 2 switch method and use just a single SPDT switch to select the 3 regions. Sure, you won't be able to add an extra game or whatever, but it's a cleaner install.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, in essence you cobble the three BIOSes together, and of course region mod he Genesis, so the SEGACD won't balk at the Genny when it boots in Euro, or US, or Jp mode.

Makes sense. Will the BIOS files from emulation do the trick, if byteswapped?

As a bonus this method would sport the proper 3 different SEGACD splash screens for each region correct as well.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arakon charges $39 each for the BIOS chips. As said, I have them on hand and can sell them at that price. I got a stock of them from him for a bit of a discount.

He's also in Germany, so there was a shipping factor.

The fourth position on the chip is the game Columns. Pretty cool.

I highly recommend installing in a Gen Model 1. Much much easier and more reliable install. A model 2 is a royal bitch.
    Check out my site for Turbo Grafx/Duo, PCE, SuperGuns, and Sega Genesis mods and more.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    So, in essence you cobble the three BIOSes together, and of course region mod he Genesis, so the SEGACD won't balk at the Genny when it boots in Euro, or US, or Jp mode.
    That's all there is too it. Again, I prefer the 1 switch mod, using an SPDT ON-OFF-ON type switch instead of 2 seperate switches.

Makes sense. Will the BIOS files from emulation do the trick, if byteswapped?
    Those are what I used. Did 2 model-1 SegaCDs with them, both work just fine.

As a bonus this method would sport the proper 3 different SEGACD splash screens for each region correct as well.
    Yes it does - seeing that for the first time was quite satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Lite
    Arakon charges $39 each for the BIOS chips. As said, I have them on hand and can sell them at that price.
    I dunno man... I get 4mbit PROMs for less that $5/each, and if the only advantage to Arakon's code is that he hacked the region detection out of it, I'd rather roll my own. Plus the whole 'selling someone elses intellectual property for $40' thing seems a bit much to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kudos to Arakon for the efforts, but he could take a page out of Raz's book http://unibios.free.fr/ on how to do it correctly, legally, AND still sell the eeproms. I pay Raz to burn all of my Universe BIOS chips, even though I could save a few bucks doing it another way. Raz does not own the SNK code in the BIOS, so it's free for download, for NON COMMERCIAL use.

The code is free. Raz charges to burn the eeproms, but the code is freely available. It's a little grey, but Raz handles it in a classy way. He programs all OSG Universe BIOS chips with extra text in the splash screen "OSG Upgraded AES" fading in. It's cool.

Nevertheless kudos to Arakon for coding it as such. The community owes him a thanks. He should consider making it freely available (as he cannot own the code AND offer burning services). Nice and legal too.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy
    I dunno man... I get 4mbit PROMs for less that $5/each, and if the only advantage to Arakon's code is that he hacked the region detection out of it, I'd rather roll my own. Plus the whole 'selling someone elses intellectual property for $40' thing seems a bit much to me.
    I bought the chips I have directly off of Arakon. You aren't paying for the code so much as the effort he put into making it and the tutorial how to do it.