Thread: Great story about new PC game Restricted Area

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Great story about new PC game Restricted Area

I was over at my bud's house the other day, and he was playing a slick Diablo-style game called Restricted Area. He said it was made by some German company, but was for sale at all the big game stores now. I looked on the back of the box, and it had the logo of a developer named Master Creating. Wait a sec...Master Creating?

Let's back it up a bit. In 98, I started up and edited an online magazine called Qb:tm. We had a small community of amateur programmers, but it was quite tight. Almost all of us were 15-20 years old, but we were all connected by webboards, icq and qb:tm. I published 12 issues. Over 1000 people would read each issue, and I got mail from all six continents and writers from places like Guam, Sweden, the UAE, Italy, China and the Philippines. Good times. Anyway, just as I was getting out of programming, a couple German guys put out a mini-RPG called Shadow of Power that was pretty funny and we all enjoyed. They mentioned they were working on another game called Restricted Area.

You can see a screenshot of the original version at the very bottom of of this page (the link is to a magazine run by a guy who really disliked me back in the day, so don't mind him knocking qb:tm throughout :-)).

Anyway, I checked out their site. Same guys. They now have 14 people working for them and are working on their second full game. I think we all figured we would be professional game developers when we were older, but these guys actually went out and did it! Good on them.[/url]

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

I think you should probably stay away from Something Awful's review of that game then.

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2993

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hahaha holy crap that review was hilarious!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that's a very interesting review lol, that's crazy

but game looks quite interesting might be something to try.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Johnson's special powers include using guns to kill people with the guns, and a plethora of other incredibly useful skills which I cannot remember offhand, probably because they do not exist.

Victoria Williams: A game made by horny frustrated males for horny frustrated males wouldn't be complete without the obligatory character wearing a tight PVC outfit for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I've always wondered about the functionality of the slutty, skimpy outfits undersexed game developers constantly cram their female protagonists into. If you're preparing to defend yourself from thousands of mutants armed with guns and knives, common sense dictates you'll want to strap on as much armor as possible, perhaps shortly before fleeing the state and seeking refuge in a much safer video game. But no, all the females in games decide to slip into outfits composed entirely of dental floss filaments, perhaps so they can film a late night Cinemax movie afterwards. Victoria is a psychic out to seek revenge on somebody for something which detracts considerably from her central story of "dressing like a slut" that's oh-so-critical to the award-winning Restricted Area plot.
    Since Victoria is psychic, she is equipped with all the standard cliched attacks: mental fireballs, psi-shields, regeneration, and all that crap. You'd think that such a smarty pants brain master would figure out kevlar stops bullets better than bellybutton rings and heart tattoos, but hey, this is THE FUTURE.

Ahahahah

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to defend the guys or anything, but as that review noted, most reviews of RA have been positive. I know my buds thought the game was a rad cyberpunk version of Diablo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"THE FLAMETHROWER SHOOTS THROUGH SOLID STEEL WALLS. You can kill 90% of the enemies in the game without even fighting them in the same room."

Sounds like a terrible game after reading that review. Also that review was probably the most detailed and honest of all of them that I looked at.

This is the kind of review I respect.