Thread: I need playstation 101 - teach me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I need playstation 101 - teach me

My wife will be visiting friends this weekend and I just got a call from the husband offering me first crack at a PS1 setup and an assortment of games. If we don't buy it it will end up being traded in. Off the top of his head he couldn't remember any of the titles, but said it was a system and 2 controllers.

Now here is the question, I won't be going so I can't appraise the set, so I need my wife to do the dirty work. What should/shouldn't she look for when inspecting things. What is a good price for a system, say 10 common games, and 2 controllers? What kind of trade in could he expect from one of the game shops so I have an idea when formulating an offer? I know enough to tell her no sports games (mainly because we won't play them), but beyond that I am clueless about the system. I'm checking out the Master List on the system, but perhaps a short list of the ultra rare titles or best titles so she can memorize them would be good. Besides the newer smaller form factor, what are the differences in the early models, dual shock, etc.?

I'm always up for a new system, especially if it's a deal, but I don't have the first idea when it comes the playstation. If nobody has time to school me, a link would be handy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

These are the Funco trade in prices for the PS One system as of last sunday:

Complete system $30 (controller, av cables, and power cord)
    Extra Dualshock (Sony): $5
    Extra Reg. Controller (Sony): $1
    Memory Cards: 25 cents to 50 cents.

Games:
    (each title is different, but here's a good ball park)
    Sports: less than $1
    "Arcade Games" (Frogger, Arcades Greatest Hits, etc.): about $5
    Action games: $3-9
    RPGs: about $7-15

That should help you base a price on what stores will give them, so you can give a good counter offer.

Dual Shock controllers is what you should go for. There are a few games that only use them (very few), but any game that uses them makes the control a bit easier to handle. If a game doesn't support DS, it's fine. There's a button to switch that function off.

Someone else will probably be better to explain the differences between the systems easier than I would. Though, it is easier to get the PS One up and running for a "portable" i.e. screen, car pack, battery.

This http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1570 should help you out with board favorites.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK.. let's see if I can clear it up for you..

When someone sells a system.. they don't want to sell the system + 3 games and be stuck with a few others.. they want to sell ALL or nothing. That's what any place will offer them.. so you'll be stuck buying it all.

Offer them a few bucks above trade ins ..

Also, it's important to look at the system. Make sure it's clean.. make sure the lens has no dirt in there.. and system model is very important: it's written on the outside in the back, 5000, 7000 series or PSone (the tiny one) are great.. do not buy 1000 series ones.. they're nothing but trouble.

Hope this helps!

LK