Thread: COmplete list of Consoles/Handhelds...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default COmplete list of Consoles/Handhelds...

Was wondering if DP (or any of you DP'ers) had a list of consoles/systems/handhelds/computers /etc. I've got the systems totals list, but that hardly includes all systems. My collection has gotten to the point where I can start looking for more obscure systems and I would like to have a list to coordinate my searches. I've begun creating a list but any existing lists would simplify things. It's a bit of a challenge narrowing down what to include, how far turn take the collecting. Should I include a four switch , 6-switch, Vader, Jr. or ets. Atari system as separate entities or not? SHould I distinguish between a front-loading Neo Geo CD and a top-loading? Is console collecting as important (as enjoyable) as collecting the games themselves???

Trebuken

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I suggest checking out www.vidgame.net , and then look at the collection list. It's pretty all-inclusive.

Also, what's this systems totals list you mentioned?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you sound a lot like me a few years back...here's a link to my collection. I have made a list of 70 unique consoles...that is, no variations.
    http://students.washington.edu/nob/c...database2.html
    one time collector of consoles...I've had them all, literally. I'm now selling everything to raise money for Northwest Harvest, a charity that provides food and clothing for families in need in the Northwestern United States.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you need to ask yourself why you are collecting.

If you want one of everything, then sure, you need every minor variation ov the Atari 2600 there was (hint, there's more than 4)

If you just want to be able to let your friends play Warlords, then you only need 1.

I'm not really interested in collecting consoles. Just good games and the machines needed to play them.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Thanks for the input...

Thanks for that link can_dude great list, espeacially the pictures (what's with the sonic pocket knife? identification?).

I essentially have all the systems I'm likely to ever play (excluding a Neo Geo AES). Additional systems would just be collected for the novelty of it. I do enjoy collecting as much as actually playing games (I have an immense collection of science fiction books as well). Do I collect the variants only to keep them in a closet (the majority of my ssytems are currently hooked up somehow or other)? It's just money I suppose.

I think I'll probably continue to collect the consoles, though less eagerly, maybe trace the history of them as go, reading what I can fing out about them. Many of them are impoossible to find anyways.

I've got a quick list of consoles and handhelds (includes significant variations, color and mods excluded) created from can_dude's list (imported into excel), and a couple others and have reached almost 130, and have no doubt there's at least 30 more.

Looks like I've got alot of collecting left to go....

Trebuken