Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 foot Mario Statue (great buy it now price!)

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 4 foot Mario Statue (great buy it now price!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...530469109&rd=1

There's one of those Mario Statues that were in Game Stores in the mid-late 1990's. This one has a buy it now of $400, which is a very good deal considering they have been known to sell for $700+.
    Thought someone on here might be interested.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you very much.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

I would like scientific proof that Mario is 4 feet tall please and that statue is life size.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont understand that a figure like this is so expencive. Its not very pretty imo.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cuewarrior has bought it , yes! Oh it's much prettier than the super deformed version in my opinion.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, I bought this thing. Paid right away.

I paid $400 + $18 shipping (which is what his shipping calculator quoted me. Of course I knew he would have to eat some shipping because it's not the weight with this thing, it's the size.

Now I get this e-mail:

Ok lets see how to explain this . Yes shipping out ups is only 18+ for 30 lbs but thats why I gave measurement for it so You could check on the actually shipping price of it.Went to UPS store to ship it out their cost was 116.00 and the packaging I was going to pay was about 42.00. I am checking out other options for shipping to get the price lower.My co that i work for ships fed ex with discounts I will ck with that on Monday. Because Im sure you dont want to pay 116.00 for shipping. If you are sitting there shocked about the cost re read the description for the item and call Ups for tottal .Make sure you give them measurement when you do.Sorry about all this but I will check with other options and let you know on Monday. Thank You
    Am I right in my opinion that I have been quoted shipping and therefore only owe that amount? I feel that he should eat his mistake, just as any of us do when we make them.

Any input would be appreciated.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes he should eat the cost ....technically....

But........ You had to know it ould cost MUCH more than $18...

So the morally, and ethically right thing to do is pay for the exact shipping cost.

You know it's the right thing to do and you know it's what you would want done to you. ( Golden Rule )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

I would say that you're not right on this one, it does say to calculate based on the overall size, and thinking that it would cost only $18 to ship that thing was a pipe dream.

If you really want it, I'd just try to cut a deal with him where you each pay half for his "blunder," as it's also his fault for being sneaky with not stating that this thing was going to be $100+ to ship up front.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I would agree that you would have to pay at least half of the shipping because of his blunder, but it's one of those things that it was a mess up but it's just one of those things.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say make him pay the rest of the price.

I just recently did a stupid mistake of my own when selling stuff to someone and i didn't ask for him to send more money to fix my mistake.
    I ate the charge and sent him his goods.

I also learned my lesson to double check everything before making up prices.

Isn't there some way you can bring it up with ebay? Then you can find out what they have to say about it.
    I think he was falsely advertising the entire time his auction was up.

If that would have been me dealing with that much money i woulda been damn sure i knew how much it was going to be to shit that.
    The guy himself must have known 18$ to ship it was completely rediculous.
    R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

http://www.rfgeneration.com

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by izret101
    I say make him pay the rest of the price.

I just recently did a stupid mistake of my own when selling stuff to someone and i didn't ask for him to send more money to fix my mistake.
    I ate the charge and sent him his goods.

I also learned my lesson to double check everything before making up prices.

Isn't there some way you can bring it up with ebay? Then you can find out what they have to say about it.
    I think he was falsely advertising the entire time his auction was up.

If that would have been me dealing with that much money i woulda been damn sure i knew how much it was going to be to shit that.
    The guy himself must have known 18$ to ship it was completely rediculous.
    Did you have to eat a $130 shipping bill ?

And also Ebay is not stupid. The same type of thing happened to a friend over a snowboard. It was going to be $70 more to ship than the stated $20. Ebay asked my friend to pay the difference and when he wouldn't they just canceled the transaction.

So Ebay isn't going to just say "a contracts a contract" They look at both sides of the issue.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When you saw that the shippingcalculator only said $18 you should be "alarmed". I see you have done some shopping on Ebay so I guess you have some idea on what shipping costs generaly

It says in the auction that it will be sent with UPS ground. Also says how big it is and how much it weight. You could have checked this with UPS before paying when you saw it was only $18.
    Just to take one example, in some countries you get punished if you buy a fake gucci bag or rolex. When you see its damn cheap you should know its fake.

If I had done this mistake and the buyer refused to pay more than $18 in shipping I wouldnt sell it. Its human to do mistakes.
    Im sure you get to an agreement with the seller and get the statue soon

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would make him pay if i were in your situation, it'd be exactly like him say "oops, i meant the buy it now was $700, please pay me that instead".

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dieourumov
    I would make him pay if i were in your situation, it'd be exactly like him say "oops, i meant the buy it now was $700, please pay me that instead".
    Well.. not quite. In this case the buyer should have known that $18 was wrong shipping amount. If the BIN was $700 instead of $400 its no way that the buyer could know that.

It also says in the auction what shipping method that will be used and how large and heavy the statue is.
    How does the shipping calculator work anyway? Do the seller set it up himself?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

You cannot "make" anyone pay anything. The guy might leave you a negative and relist the item if you don't pay it. I think paying actual shipping is fair, if you want the item.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think this error is the seller's fault, and it was rude of him to ask you to pay the difference in the first place. It's true that the seller says the height and weight of the item in the description and tells potential buyers that they can pick whatever method of shipping they want and to check how much it will be, but then it specifically says that UPS ground is $18, so it would be logical to assume that that price quote is correct, and other price quotes for other methods of shipping would vary. After all, the seller expects you to find out the correct price of shipping the item, but can't do it himself (and when his price is going to be quoted in the item description, no less)? And so many of the posts here have said, "You have to have known that it wasn't going to be $18 to ship." So what? How often are the shipping prices paid on eBay actually what it costs to ship the item?

Compare it to this: when you overpay a seller for shipping, do they ever refund the difference? I can't tell you how many times I've paid $4.99 shipping on a NES cart, which only costs about $1.50 (including the price of the envelope). Or what about when a seller offers free shipping? Do they email you after the auction is over and say, "Oh, you know, it actually costs about $5 to ship this, so would you tack on $5 to the total?" No, they don't. I (and presumably many other buyers) subtract shipping from my total bidding price, to make sure I don't get screwed on the total. To add more shipping costs after the fact ($100 +/-, no less) borders on extortion.

Still, while I'm completely on the buyer's side on this one, it is an easy and common mistake on the seller's part, so there's no need to be a dick when dealing with them. If I were in the buyer's position, I'd tell them that either A) I'll pay $18 for UPS ground, or B) The deal's off. The seller will have to understand that, as well as you understand the seller not wanting to pay the astronomical shipping fees, either.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How often are the shipping prices paid on eBay actually what it costs to ship the item?
    Never, but I have never seen or experienced that the seller takes less in shipping than what it acctualy cost.
    And not long ago a seller refunded me $5 because I had payed too much in shipping. I didnt even ask.

Even if a seller makes a mistake the buyer can be more understandable. Like if you had listed a complete Stadium Events copy and had by mistake set the BIN to $1 and free shipping. Would you still sell if for $1 and give free shipping?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Sellers fault. He (she?) knew what it was going to cost, so the shipping calculator should NOT have been there to begin with. He simply could have put in the auction that shipping woulld be determined at the end of the auction. The shipping calculator was misleading, regardless of how off Cue knew it was. There's nothing in the auction that states he would need to adjust the cost due to the size.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Ok, I've researched this a bit. For it to make it my house, via USPS parcel post (oversized package included), it's only $60.

I don't know where you're at, but I find it hard to believe it's going to be a major diffference, especially going parcel post. Check into his claim it's that much before you do anything.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ask again How does the shipping calculator works and who manage it? If its the seller who set the prices in it its clearly a mistake by the seller as mentioned above.
    But I would be more understanding if I was the buyer even if I was correct.