Thread: Sleeper of the Week: Gunvalkyrie (XBox)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sleeper of the Week: Gunvalkyrie (XBox)

Many of you may have played Gunvalkyrie when it came out for the Xbox. Most of you probably hated it. What I’m here to tell you today is that regardless of your opinions from renting it, it’s a damned good game. Ok, you may have at least 3 broken Xbox controllers on display due to sheer frustration from Gunvalkyrie. It happens. But you’ve simply got to give this one another chance!

Gunvalkyrie is a rather different Sega action game done by Smilebit, makers of such other classically frustrating games as Jet Set Radio and Panzer Dragoon Orta. It’s a virtual certainty that the programmers at Smilebit are required to come into work in full bondage gear. In fact, every Smilebit game is unbelievably hard. But hey, what’s a game without challenge? In Gunvalkyrie, you are tasked with obliterating hordes of rampaging insects to save the British Empire. Weird, huh? It has kind of a Starship Troopers feel to it, but much more graceful of course. The graphics, even for early Xbox, are very nice, and the music is excellent. A domestic soundtrack was even released, though I wouldn’t put it in my top 10 game soundtracks. What we really want to discuss about Gunvalkyrie though is the control.

Gunvalkyrie has one of the most non-standard, non-intuitive control schemes ever seen in a modern video game. It’s almost like Smilebit was intentionally trying to make a game that no one could control without hours and hours of studious practice. When I say hours of practice, I’m not exaggerating either. When I first played the game, it took me somewhere in the neighborhood of four hours to get a basic feel for the controls, and I still have trouble with some of the more advanced moves. L and R triggers for jumping and attacking, face buttons only to change weapons, use of both analog sticks at once to simultaneously control aiming and movement, the list goes on and on. It’s difficult to explain just how different Gunvalkyrie feels without letting someone play it for a while. In addition, you must also master a large number of very delicate special moves that combine quick thumbstick movements with timed button presses. In short, the game is damned hard to control.

Now that I’ve made it fairly clear what Gunvalkyrie is like from a control standpoint, I’d like to tell you to try it anyway! I found that once I got a feel for the controls, that the entire game was an incredibly rewarding experience. Once you really can control the game, you slowly realize that the controls make perfect sense. They’re actually quite elegant if you can use them as they’re designed to be used, and they make game play a very memorable experience. Flipping around in midair while hovering and drawing a bead on an enemy and then dashing down to the ground, all at high speed…it’s amazing the level of control that Gunvalkyrie gives you. You can do simply amazing maneuvers, but it’s much more realistic than the average game because instead of “Press A to do special uber-complex move” you instead actually have to execute that move flawlessly with a complex combination of inputs. It’s a daunting task, but it’s damned fun! Add to that the beautiful visuals, decent storyline and music, multiple playable characters (ok, two) and stress levels added by timed missions, and you have all the makings of a game that you’ll get a ton of gameplay out of.

I found it to be a very rewarding game, and one that isn’t just…over. So many games today are far too easy to blaze through, not really making the gameplay itself an experience, but more of a medium to slog through to get the gore or action or story out of the game. To make the controls themselves such an integral part of the game…well, it should be respected. Sadly, almost no one bought the game, and those that did mostly hated it. Almost all reviews talk about how horrible and clunky the controls are, and many people didn’t give Gunvalkyrie a fair shake when they did try it. If you want some actual challenge to your games, do yourself a favor and check out Gunvalkyrie. You might getfrustrated a bit, but you won’t regret it!

scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, it's frustrating and hard to control (no, I haven't finished it yet), but I like it. And I'm a far cry from mastering the controls. But even at the stage where I am, it seems like you should be able to pull off the most amazing maneuvers. I salute Gunvalkyrie for respecting players enough to challenge them.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like this game, but I need more practice. I can't even finish the 1st level because the controls are so difficult!
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Insert Coin (Level 0) The Plucky Little Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I though I saw this mentioned in another thread, but the biggest hint for Gunvalkyrie is to watch the demo mode after the title screen. THAT'S how the game's meant to be played.

I need to start in on this one again. I was really getting into it, made it up to the first boss, and then I got sucked into Star Wars: KOTOR, so you can guess where my loyalties have fallen for the past week.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Monkey Ball = Amusement Vision, yes?
    -----

And GUNVALKYRIE is a pretty good game when you get used to the controls. But even after doing so, I still can't get past the first boss...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I gotta sit down and try this one again. I picked it up for about $10 from Gamestop and liked it, but jeez did those controls ever confuse the crap outta me. I'll watch that demo...maybe It'll help me a bit.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Cherry (Level 1) The_4th_Survivor's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh man, for the longest time, Gunvalkyrie was really pissing me off in terms of the control scheme.

What made me so mad was the one time when I had broken my FACTORY XBox controller playing this game!

Yes, I actually broke my controller. Well, not the entire controller, but I messed it up just enough so the "L" and "R" shoulder buttons didn't work right along with the "R shift" (press the right stick inwards) button.

That game forces the player to literally do some amazingly acrobatic stuff with the control pad.

Eventually, I mastered the controls enough to finish the game.

Although the game had an interesting storyline, I was kind of hoping that it had gone on a little longer.

In the end though, I was quite happy with the results.

I just wish that it was a direct sequel to the 'still awesome' "Burning Rangers" for the Sega Saturn.

That would have been cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GobopopRevisited
    Super Monkey Ball = Amusement Vision, yes?
    -----

And GUNVALKYRIE is a pretty good game when you get used to the controls. But even after doing so, I still can't get past the first boss...
    Crap. Yes. For some reason I thought Super Monkey Ball too was a Smilebit game....it feels like one!

Games ACTUALLY made by Smilebit:

Hundred Swords
    Jet Set Radio
    Jet Set Radio Future
    90 Minutes
    J League Pro Soccer Club
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Panzer Dragoon Saga
    The Typing of the Dead

Reference: http://www.neoseeker.com/Companies/profiles/Smilebit/

I didn't know they made Panzer Dragoon Saga. Cool
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My experience with Gunvalkyrie was the same as posted in the review. Once familar and used to the control scheme, it is an immensely enjoyable game; the control scheme adds to the gameplay experience because pulling off difficult moves is rewarding and it fits the game.

There are games which require to invest some time and are not immediately enjoyable and therefore are underrated -- Gunvalkyrie is one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Oh the controls are confusing, but if you get the hang of it the game is so well worth it. I picked up a copy at gamecrazy for 5 bucks, I figured I couldn't lose.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The controls didn't bother me. It was the Gauntlet style enemy spawning that I found tedious. I still like the game and the atmosphere is amazing but I expected so much more from Smilebit after Jet Grind Radio.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always see this game at EB for $4.99, and everytime I think about picking it up, but I don't. Panzer Dragoon Orta annoys the heck outta me so I can just imagine what Gunvalkyre would be like. But I like PDO a lot, so I'll have to get this one and give it a spin next time I'm at EB.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved the game and did fine until I got to the first level that is timed. I could not get through it in time and gave up and went on to other games.

The part I liked the best was the level with the big pit that has an updraft. Once I mastered the controls I could go any where in and around the pit and never fall in.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That sounds right up my alley actually - thanks!

/adds to want list.
    <center>

Basking in the summer sun.
    I greeted the seaguls...

But then...
    I entered the demons den.
    -Ship Archives</center>