Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The greatest FMV / CGI scenes in a game ever!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default The greatest FMV / CGI scenes in a game ever!

If you could single out a handful of cut scenes (CGI / FMV Etc...) from games, what would they be?

What scenes stick in your mind? What would you class as being the greatest cut scene / game intro / end scene ever?

For me, back when Resident Evil II was released, the intro blew me away. It still does to some extent.

Then you have the beginning of Metal Gear Solid II: Sons Of Liberty - Where Snake bungee jumps from the bridge onto the ship...

Final Fantasy? Where do I start??? Final Fantasy VIII is full of great cinematics. Final Fantasy IX has a few greats too, but Final Fantasy VII has got to have the one which I think sticks in every gamer's mind - The end of the first disc where Cloud lowers Aerith into the Mako pool where she sinks deep into the planet... <Wipes away yet another tear>

I also like what Square did with the older titles when they rereleased them on PSone - I especially like the opening scene for Final Fantasy VI, and part of me wishes it had been there all along!

And my all time favourite (I rate this higher than the afore mentioned Cloud / Aerith scene) is the intro to Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver!

This won a number of awards I believe (Was in an EMMY?)for best cinematics from a game. And quite rightly so too!

Another series which astounds me with it's intro's is the Oddworld series. I also believe the first two games (Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus) both won awards for their visuals too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: The greatest FMV / CGI scenes in a game ever!

Hmm, I remember being impressed by the Sarge minigun movie for Quake III...way back when.

Many of the scenes where you're moving about the house - especially the foyer - in The 7th Guest are incredible, and eerily beautiful. Love 'em much.

There's some good semi-CGI sequences for talking heads in the Fallout games. Man, The Master has to be the nastiest looking boss in the history of (western) gaming. Fo' real.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

The opening video for DOA2 Ultimate. Talk about powerful. I mean it's one of the most beautiful things i've ever seen.

The intro cinematic for RE: Outbreak is also good. Hell it's the only thing good about that peice of crap.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Without a doubt, some of the scenes in Xenosaga were the best I've seen.

I actually felt the tension during the final scene. It was exciting.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Loved FF7's with that "weapon" closing in on the city, very cool.

Insert Coin (Level 0) The Plucky Little Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The opening to Stranger's Wrath is a good one, but the greatest CG cutscene of all time...

The opening to Final Fantasy VIII. I'm still blown away when I watch it. It's like a kick ass preview to the greatest movie ever made... and I don't even like the game all that much. I actually pop that game into the Playstation every once and awhile simply to watch the opening cutscene. It's just that frickin' great.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As mentioned, FF7 and FF8 have some GREAT cinematics.
    Overall, I think FF8 gets best overall. From the dance sequence, space scene, and that AMAZING battle cinema in the middle, it just wins hand down.
    Get the "eyes on me" cgi remix someone made on the internet, and you're good to go.

Other than that, the MGS games have good story sections, and RE1/0 on the gamecube look great.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drewbrim
    Loved FF7's with that "weapon" closing in on the city, very cool.
    i always liked when cloud gets the bike in the shinra building. the music helps a lot too. i remember i saved right before that and would rewatch it once in awhile just cause i like dit.
    yes i did it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Plucky Little Ninja
    The opening to Final Fantasy VIII. I'm still blown away when I watch it. It's like a kick ass preview to the greatest movie ever made... and I don't even like the game all that much. I actually pop that game into the Playstation every once and awhile simply to watch the opening cutscene. It's just that frickin' great.
    I know how you feel! I do exactly the same to some games every now and again, especially Soul Reaver!

Mind you, I have just had a great idea! - I can link my PS2 to my PC and actually record the sequence as a .WMV / .AVI file and watch it anytime I want!

<Pops off to find game and PlayStation...>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD FOR KLONOA ON PSX

The ending FMV where klonoa and huepow must say goodbye. The sequence is scripted very well, and was one of the few times I truly shed a tear from a videogame.

Check out my fansite for klonoa!

www.klonoasite.cjb.net

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with Resident Evil 2's intro...still awesome to this day...I love how RE Outbreak tries to re-create that moment.

Another favorite of mine is the opening intro to Final Fantasy Tactics on PSX...that was a nice intro...
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Resident Evil 2

Fallout series

Sid Meyers Alpha Centauri

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked most of the cutscenes in Ninja Gaiden for xbox. Each one was kind of a reward for killing some of those crazy bosses. Most Final Fantasy and Resident Evil games also had memorable ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And for the third time this evening i'm going to play the Broken Sword card - The Broken Sword series has some nice cut scenes, and pieces the story together quite nicely!

Parasite Eve II also has a few all time greats - Especially THAT shower scene! How i'd love to see a director's cut of THAT! (Whadda ya mean she's not real???)

Oh, and then what happens straight after is also memorable too! (I almost went poopy the first time I played it!)

I must admit - Sometimes I think Squaresoft put more effort into their cut scenes than they did some of their games!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DTJAAAAM
    PSN
    DTJAAAAM

The opening cinemas to Soul Edge and Final Fantasy VIII are my two picks.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really liked the ending for Oddworld Stranger's Wrath. The Billy Hatcher intro is pretty okay too.

I also used to watch the Diablo II cinematics constantly... Those are some of my favorites too.

Cherry (Level 1) The_4th_Survivor's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are so many to choose from as of late, so I'll go with the following for now:

Resident Evil (GameCube) - The intro sequence to this game not only rekindled my interest in the entire RE series, but was the main reason why I ended up buying my GameCube in the first place! Capcom did an extraordinary job in re-making the original Resident Evil. If this game isn't considered beautiful in terms of graphics, I don't know what is.

Onimusha Warlords / Genma Onimusha (PS2 / XBox) - The opening intro sequence just screams quality. From the silky smooth animation to the realistic texturing, it's hard to believe that this was a game from 2000/2001. Those artists at Capcom paid a great homage to the Japanese culture with this piece.

Soul Calibur II (GameCube / Playstation 2 / XBox) -
    Namco broke all traditional 'weapon based' fighting game rules when they released the original "Soul Calibur" exclusively on the Sega Dreamcast. A few years later, they ended up outdoing themselves once again by releasing the inevitable sequel "Soul Calibur II" on all three major consoles, each with their own exclusive characters. For the opening intro sequence, they decided to render it completely, instead of using the in-game sprite models. I'm sure glad they did. Just watching that intro makes any fighting game enthusiast proud that they're about to play one of the best weapon based, 3D fighting games around.

I'm all tapped out for now, but once I think of some more games with cool intros or endings, I'll post them here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final Fantasy 7 and 8.
    But what nobody has mentioned which I really enjoyed is the intro to Chrono Cross. I really thought it was awesome, and I watch it every now and than.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked the updated CG intro to Gradius 3 & 4. Nothing better then seeing Vic Viper blowing up shit on a 128 bit system.

OH! As long as I'm talking about Vic Viper here, the intro to Zone of the Enders 2 is simply awesome!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A lot of choice picks have been already noted, so I'll do something that nobody will mention.

Which is of course, the opening for Vampire Hunter D. I expect many to have never seen it, but it's really quite good. Unfortunate the real game isn't nearly as entertaining.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."