Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20-30 Years of Dust

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 20-30 Years of Dust

If you buy a used console, computer or arcade board from the late 80's or earlier, you will often find that it is caked in dust. Thick, dirty dust that covers every chip and component. The dust could seriously shorten the life of the board components if it is not removed. Its so dirty and dusty that you wish you could put the PCB in the dishwasher to get rid of it all. The dust could seriously shorten the life of the board components. But you can't do that, so how do you get it clean?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, a friend of mine told me once that he knew of someone (and already this sounding so reliable ) that used to take old computers and wash them out with a hose, then let them dry. Iwouldn't try that with your next vectrex purchase, but if it's an old computer that's not too rare, you might try it out on that.
    Dude, they should have seriously put Kissinger and Nixon in their own reality/sit-com show. It would be like the odd couple.

Nixon: Is that chairman Mao on the phone?
    Kissinger: Yes, but you can't speak to him, you're too drunk right now.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Easiest way to clean arcade PCBs and computer motherboards is to put them in the dish washer. As long as you make sure everything is 100% dry afterwards they will work fine.

I've also used a toilet brush and a hose before. (toilet brush was new and never used for it's actually duty)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Canned air.

Dont spray it in your face.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

problem with water is that it helps metals oxidize faster. Which means any componets which are copper or silver turn to gunk and loose conductivity if left under water too long.

Ultimately though if you dry it quickly and make sure its completely dry before putting electricty to it, it should be fine.
    Tritium (aka Mel)
    ------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've done the 'water' thing a few times. Works great! Basically hosed down/washed the dirty equipment, and then let it fan dry so it wouldn't stay damp for long. Of course, I've only done this on the 'really' bad stuff.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kirin jensen
    Actually, a friend of mine told me once that he knew of someone (and already this sounding so reliable ) that used to take old computers and wash them out with a hose, then let them dry. Iwouldn't try that with your next vectrex purchase, but if it's an old computer that's not too rare, you might try it out on that.

...are you dense? Or is this some sort of highly advanced conceptual joke?

Water + Electronics != Desireable Result. This is basic fact of life in the computer age 101.

You should know this. Although, I hear an electric mixer makes a great bathtub agitator, you should try it out sometime

And to the poster - stop by a Radio Shack and pick up a can of compressed air. They sell for around $5-15, and will make dust a memory.

Plus, when you have a friend over, it's fun to give him a blast in the ear / back of the neck when he's not expecting it. It's also a great way of getting chicks at bars.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are several people over on the neo-geo boards who use their dishwashers for cleaning pcbs. I personally have always used an old toothbrush & mild soap/warm water mix, using it sparingly at that. Then dry off quickly to keep the water from just sitting around on it. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I follow that better safe than sorry motto. But it seems as long as you let them dry off well before powering up, you should be ok for the dishwasher. Although, you may not receive the ok from the wife to put the filthy, grimy mess of a pcb into the dishwasher, but if she's not looking...

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emumuumuucowgomoo
    ...are you dense? Or is this some sort of highly advanced conceptual joke?

Water + Electronics != Desireable Result. This is basic fact of life in the computer age 101.

You should know this. Although, I hear an electric mixer makes a great bathtub agitator, you should try it out sometime
    No, he's not dense. There's no problem with hosing electronics down and scrubbing them with anything you have handy. What's it going to hurt? As long as there is no cmos battery, or electricity being applied to the item, and you can completely dry it out within an hour or so after you drench it. It's a great cheap and easy way to clean something.

Putting it in the dishwasher is pushing it a bit just due to the high temp of the water and the length of the cycle. Plus the fact that you're going to get some soap residue on there and stuff even if you don't use any.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah... water is only a bad thing for electronics if there is electricity(either AC or DC) present while getting wet.

And I wouldn't worry about the higher temperatures of the dish washer... the components and PCBs are rated for some pretty high temperatures.

I clean all my arcade monitor PCBs with water before I work on them and I've never lost one. :shrug:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i use toothbrush and alcohol

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by googlefest1
    i use toothbrush and alcohol
    That's how I clean my teeth...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But mightn't an inductor or a capacitor retain an electric charge that could combine with the water to blow out ICs and other components?

I can imagine that there are many places that might trap water in a PCB, so how can you effectively return it to a "bone dry" state before water damages and corrodes the metal?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Great Hierophant
    But mightn't an inductor or a capacitor retain an electric charge that could combine with the water to blow out ICs and other components?

I can imagine that there are many places that might trap water in a PCB, so how can you effectively return it to a "bone dry" state before water damages and corrodes the metal?
    Well, assuming that the unit in question hasn't been hooked up to a power source in a long, long time, any charge that may have been retained has probably long since dissipated. If you HAVE hooked it up to a power source however, I'd suggest unplugging it and leave it sit somewhere for a few days, possibly a week even, if you'd like to be super careful.

After cleaning, set it up close to a fan for a few hours on each side for a few hours, depending on how much you want to make sure that this thing is "bone dry". If that's not enough, let it sit out somewhere for a day or so.

Mind you, I'm no electrician, but I'd say that'd probably be your safest bet if you plan on hosing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wash my PCBs in water also... lots of people into arcades stuff do too... just make sure it's completely dry before you try powering it up.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emumuumuucowgomoo
    And to the poster - stop by a Radio Shack and pick up a can of compressed air. They sell for around $5-15, and will make dust a memory.
    Try cleaning off an arcade PCB coated in dust + acid barf from an internal battery with a can of compressed air, no dice. Washing them with soapy water and making SURE they are dry seems to be the general wide use repair technique.

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK! as a chemist I must interject. If the water is 100% pure (distilled) it should not affect the boards...however, we do not live in a vaccum and air can oxidize with the help of water. so the point is DO NOT PUT WATER NEAR IT! Adding soap is even worse as that adds oxidizing agents.

So, if it is really nasty and compressed air does not work, drown it in rubbing alcohol. (not vodka, there is too much water content) and scrub with gentle tissues (that do not have lotion or power in them)

moral of the story

water=bad
    alcohol=good

and on that note i'm gonna have a drink...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The idea I had was to dump a few bottles of 91% isophropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) into a large bucket and wash the motherboard with some fairly vigorous scrubbing with a brush. Good idea?

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The idea I had was to dump a few bottles of 91% isophropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) into a large bucket and wash the motherboard with some fairly vigorous scrubbing with a brush. Good idea?
    That's kind of expensive. Why don't you just use a mini-vac with a brush attachment intended for keyboard/computer cleaning? Someone mentioned compressed air, that's probably the best solution there. Not such a bright idea to spray it on someone's skin though, on account of the potential for frostbite when the propellant leaks out.

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that sounds like a good idea chemically and it should not be too expensive. One bottle of IPA should be sufficient and only costs about 2-3 bucks. I would just be careful with what brush you are using, get a gentle one...you dont want to hurt your circuits.