Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I'm finally an SCEA beta tester....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Default So I'm finally an SCEA beta tester....

Registering that PS2 online adapter that I've never ever used is finally paying off and I get to be a beta tester for Ratchet: Deadlocked. I'm waiting to get my beta kit in the mail and was just wondering if any of you have done beta for SCEA before and had any insights or advice as to what to expect. A few n00b questions:

1) How much gameplay am I expected to devote to this thing?

2) Will anybody seriously read the SCEA message boards if I post issues or suggestions?

3) Are there any percs at the end like a free copy of the finished game or a 3-month free online subscription? (not a big deal either way, but it never hurts to ask)

4) How can I best increase my likelihood of doing this again?

5) Assuming I get to keep it is there any relative collector value to a beta copy of the game?

6) Anything I failed to mention.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey welcome aboard, I just got my email yesterday that my kit is in the mail, and should "drop" Aug.5th woot....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    gruffbear
    PSN
    gruffbear
    Steam
    gruffbear

Yeah, I'm currently testing Jak X Combat Racing. Just got it on Monday. Pretty cool game so far, but I'm having trouble finding people to play against (it's online only).

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice, I missed the boat on that one... how is the game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have beta tested SOCOM2 and will soon be receiving my BETA kit for SOCOM3 (I was ranked #3 out of 10,000 in socom2 beta)

-As much or as little as you want! its really to test the servers.

2) Will anybody seriously read the SCEA message boards if I post issues or suggestions?
    -Yes, I believe so, eventhough I dont read the forums much.

3) Are there any percs at the end like a free copy of the finished game or a 3-month free online subscription? (not a big deal either way, but it never hurts to ask)
    -Nope, you just get the priveledge of playing it first, as well as having an upper hand in online mode for when the game is released.

-Be sure to sign up for the BETA's on the playstation website and check your email.

5) Assuming I get to keep it is there any relative collector value to a beta copy of the game?
    -Im not sure myself, I still have my socom2 beta, all it is is a disc and some stapled papers, but I guess to some people it is considered a rarity.

6) Anything I failed to mention.
    -SCEA has alot of guidelines when it comes to beta's, especialy giving out information or attempting/selling your beta, make sure you are clear on all of this. Infact your not even allowed to post to us here on the forums any pictures or videos, or information about the beta.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: So I'm finally an SCEA beta tester....

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon
    I would say as much as you can; the more the better.

Yes, at least the boards set up for the beta. However, there is a bug reporting form (on the left sidebar) which you should use for problems and suggestions. Don't just post in the forums, also use the form.

No. The beta tests tend to be pretty big, so it's usually not feasible.

I don't know. But be sure you follow all the beta guidelines (read the agreement carefully).

I don't know. Once the beta ends, the disc will be basically useless since it depends on the beta on-line service to play.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

if any of you have done beta for SCEA before
    Yes...

I have:Not much time to do it though..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

When any of you are done with the beta disc for Jak X or Ratchet: Deadlocked, will you trade it or sell it to me?

I'm serious. Those are my two favorite series this generation and I would like to have those beta discs.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I'm supposed to be beta-testing Jak X too, but I still haven't received the disk (had I known that SCEA was going to send it through DHL instead of using USPS, I would have used my work address as shipping address). The worst is that I have only a few days left to try it out and answer the survey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a question for you guys, what is the fastest way to get signed up for the next beta test?
    www.worldofgamespublishing.com
    Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How many times have you tried to be a beta tester? Since you said "finaly".
    And when you first get accepted is it only for one game or are automaticly a tester for other games to come also?

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

tell them that the game was Ok...but it would have been better in 2d and with brighter, more saturated colors.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get the fuck on another computer or a really kickass proxy and give us pictures and videos. I really don't care about the game. I just would love to see somebody piss off Sony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    How many times have you tried to be a beta tester? Since you said "finaly".
    And when you first get accepted is it only for one game or are automaticly a tester for other games to come also?
    I don't remember how many times I've been passed up; perhaps three or four since signing up for the GAP (Gamer Advisory Panel). It's not like I go looking for betas. Every now and then I get these emails from the GAP saying things like, "Beta test, yo. Sign up if you're interested." This is just the first time they wrote back and said I'm in. Pretty cool, all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by PDorr3
    SCEA has alot of guidelines when it comes to beta's, especialy giving out information or attempting/selling your beta, make sure you are clear on all of this. Infact your not even allowed to post to us here on the forums any pictures or videos, or information about the beta.
    Won't be a problem. I take non-disclosure situations pretty seriously. I used to guard nuclear weapons when I was in the Marines. I could tell some stories that would turn you incontinent, but I won't because of national security issues and all that. If you can trust me with a nuke, you can trust me with a beta game.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuplayer
    Get the fuck on another computer or a really kickass proxy and give us pictures and videos. I really don't care about the game. I just would love to see somebody piss off Sony.
    See above.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I just got approved for the Socom 3 Beta Test...I sure hope the disk includes the offline mode, as my only way to connect online here is through dial up (i have broadband at work, where I mostly use it). Anyone know if it does have offline mode on beta tests?

Oh well, I can always try. *shrugs*

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

how can i beta?

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I've beta'd for a few things. EQOA, SOCOM2 and Ratchet 3. I've got a friend who was a KillZone and HotShots 4 beta and really as PDorr said, its more for server load than anything else.

I played SOCOM pretty regularly but had issues with EQ (my command key didnt work) and there were issues with Ratchet and my internet so that never happened.

In regards to the betas being worth something, I'm all up for making an offer on yours and any paperwork that it might come with after your time is up. I've got a handfull and would love more.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default RE;.....(attempted to post last night)

The two top discs are Beta Discs...To be honest it's my wife that is the Beta tester.. .I just do the work/sometimes.. :P
    When we first got this computer she signed up using her email address,before I had set-up my email address and she was accepted..(me=computer noob)
    She's been sent all kinds of stuff as a "PlayStation Underground member"....I think I/she may have/other Beta discs around that she got and I never checked out(I have to ask her)
    I was accepted not to long ago myself to beta test,from what I remember I just answered some questions at PlayStation Underground..that I've been a member of for awhile..

I just missed out on the last beta test as I was sent an email to sign up for it but I could not log in..
    My password didn't work..
    I notified(Re: PlayStation Underground) and they fixed the problem but it was too late to sign up. :/

Not sure if my wife signed up though..I guess I'll see the envelope in the mail if she did..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Wow, this is pretty cool guys -- I had no idea Digital Press had so many people influencing the next generation of games!

If I had to test one of those games under comments I would just write, "would be better in 2D. Consider blockier sprites and get rid of all digital audio. Too many buttons and games should only take an hour to beat. Needs work."

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon
    Won't be a problem. I take non-disclosure situations pretty seriously. I used to guard nuclear weapons when I was in the Marines. I could tell some stories that would turn you incontinent, but I won't because of national security issues and all that. If you can trust me with a nuke, you can trust me with a beta game.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuplayer
    See above.
    Shit, so much for pissing... SOMEBODY SET US UP THE BOMB!!!