Thread: Ebay Fraud ????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ebay Fraud ????

I ran across this while looking for vintage games check it out and tell me if you think it is fraud

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz 512K L2 Cache 800 MHz FSB
    1 GB (2x512) DDR PC3200 RAM
    60 GB Hitachi Hard Drive 7200 RPM
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro w/ 128MB Module
    15.4" LCD Screen
    4x DVD+RW Drive (Also burns CDs)
    4 On-Board Speakers
    Keyboard with multiple function keys
    Mouse Touchpad with handy dandy scrollbar on the side
    Color: Saucer Silver
    Inputs:
    1 Parallel Port (for Printer)
    1 S-Video Port
    1 Mic Line In
    1 Speaker/Headphone Input
    3 USB 2.0
    1 Network
    1 Ethernet
    1 Infrared (for use with included remote control)
    1 VGA (monitor)
    1 PCMCIA Port (For included wireless Internet Card)

The starting Bid is $6, it is a 24 hour sell, no paypal. The seller is asking you not to use ebays "ask the seller a question" feature. Previously the seller only sold kids clothing and used paypal. Now the seller is selling alienware laptops, dvds, plasma tvs, sewing machines, etc, etc. Even the wording from previous auctions do not look or read like these 24 hour ones. I smell a scam.
    Aha! Now we see the violence inherent in the system!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sounds like he's selling stolen goods.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I doubt they're stolen - this looks more (to me) like the guy's selling stuff from a store that went out of business...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't tell you about this auction in particular. Though any of them who ask for western union only to spain or italy is most assuredly, fraud. Like half the plasma tvs on ebay. You'll need to contact people a ways back who have left feedback to the seller, find out a little about the seller, then compare to the person you're talking to and see if their personal info matches.

Trust there are tons of hijacked ebay accounts ripping people off even now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Teo
    I can't tell you about this auction in particular. Though any of them who ask for western union only to spain or italy is most assuredly, fraud. Like half the plasma tvs on ebay. You'll need to contact people a ways back who have left feedback to the seller, find out a little about the seller, then compare to the person you're talking to and see if their personal info matches.

Trust there are tons of hijacked ebay accounts ripping people off even now.
    Well I did exaclty that I reported it to ebay and I emailed the original email address listed on the account. I just received a thank you letter from the true owner of the account and ebay pulled all the listings. It does put a little scare in you though. The hijacker wasn't very good but a much smarter person could have pulled it off I think.
    Aha! Now we see the violence inherent in the system!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by TNTPLUST
    Well I did exaclty that I reported it to ebay and I emailed the original email address listed on the account. I just received a thank you letter from the true owner of the account and ebay pulled all the listings. It does put a little scare in you though. The hijacker wasn't very good but a much smarter person could have pulled it off I think.
    Dude. Damn. I feel like an idiot now.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper
    I bet the original owner of the account feels like more of an idiot... for disclosing his/her password to the hijacker, either through typing it into some webform somewhere, or by allowing her/himself to be infected with a keylogging trojan.

Anyway, another red flag to watch out for when looking at eBay auctions, is users with feedback almost exclusively from sellers who "sell feedback" in the form of 0.01 items (such as recipes, desktop wallpaper, other intangible things that can be delivered by e-mail) just to boost their rating. They're everywhere if you look.

eBay should really put a column in the feedback that lists the ending price of the item sold... even if the items have already expired from the database. I do commend their continuing efforts to cut down on fraud though, such as putting alerts about accepting western union and stuff.

I would still love a job with them to do nothing but sniff out fradulent auctions all day though. ;D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Audigy
    I bet the original owner of the account feels like more of an idiot... for disclosing his/her password to the hijacker, either through typing it into some webform somewhere, or by allowing her/himself to be infected with a keylogging trojan.

Anyway, another red flag to watch out for when looking at eBay auctions, is users with feedback almost exclusively from sellers who "sell feedback" in the form of 0.01 items (such as recipes, desktop wallpaper, other intangible things that can be delivered by e-mail) just to boost their rating. They're everywhere if you look.

eBay should really put a column in the feedback that lists the ending price of the item sold... even if the items have already expired from the database. I do commend their continuing efforts to cut down on fraud though, such as putting alerts about accepting western union and stuff.

I would still love a job with them to do nothing but sniff out fradulent auctions all day though. ;D
    I want a job sniffing out people who sell crappy bootleg games from China and e-book/scan/rom CDs...

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Auction is closed.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want a job sniffing out people who sell crappy bootleg games from China and e-book/scan/rom CDs...
    That too... I bet between the two of us, we could get every single seller of pirated GBA games removed from eBay.

Actually... we should orchestrate some type of marathon or something, where for a few hours each day, we go in and report as many of these sellers as we can.

I could set up a website for it and everything... get tons of people to help out. It wouldn't have to be limited to video games either... hmm.

Hmm... *gears turn*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That too... I bet between the two of us, we could get every single seller of pirated GBA games removed from eBay.

Actually... we should orchestrate some type of marathon or something, where for a few hours each day, we go in and report as many of these sellers as we can.

I could set up a website for it and everything... get tons of people to help out. It wouldn't have to be limited to video games either... hmm.

Hmm... *gears turn*

I'm all for it! Count me in, I am so sick of searching for GBA games only to find that they come with "box flattened" no instructions and that they are from Hong Kong. Not to diss every legit seller who is selling out of Hong Kong, but if I see a GBA game is from Hong Kong I hit the back button on my browser.
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Hmm... *gears turn*
    I'm surprised there isn't a list of bad eBay sellers around. I'm pretty sure that there was one a while back, but for game CDs...

I'd report more of these bad sellers, but you know, the problem is that we can't prove that they're selling bootlegged items. Sellers like GKWorld.com and max-boons make a killing selling bootleg crap, and they almost always get good feedback. People just don't know any better.

I don't mind seeing bootleg CDs IF THEY SAY THEY'RE BOOTLEGS. But when they try to pass them off as originals, I get really pissed. This is why I don't buy anime CDs at stores in big cities. I never see any legit items, ever.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hehe, my boyfriend came up with the most awesome domain name...

ebayesian.org

Bayesian Filtering is basically the thing that email servers use to determine which emails are spam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_filtering

That just lends itself to the most awesome pun ever.

domain's been registered... I'll get the ball rolling tonight or tomorrow on content.

The general purpose of the site will be to provide quick links for reporting infringing items, and to provide information on what constitutes counterfeit items for certain categories...

and also... warning signs that point to accounts that may exist solely for ripping people off such as the one at the beginning of this thread.

It'll probably have an extremely simple main page with info on the current "sweeps" - 'report every single infringing item you can, and get your friends to help' (probably going to start with bootleg GBA stuff) and also a message board to discuss stuff on.

I really suck at website building, which you'd know if you ever visited my site... but this one shouldn't need to be too elaborate.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[

I'd report more of these bad sellers, but you know, the problem is that we can't prove that they're selling bootlegged items. Sellers like GKWorld.com and max-boons make a killing selling bootleg crap, and they almost always get good feedback. People just don't know any better.

I don't mind seeing bootleg CDs IF THEY SAY THEY'RE BOOTLEGS. But when they try to pass them off as originals, I get really pissed. This is why I don't buy anime CDs at stores in big cities. I never see any legit items, ever.
    Hm... I'm pretty sure that eBay has a specific clause in their terms about bootleg Nintendo games of any type. I'll get the details later.

You can't prove 100% of the time that they're selling bootlegs, but there's a pretty consistent checklist you can check against to see if a seller in general is selling legit products.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can't prove 100% of the time that they're selling bootlegs, but there's a pretty consistent checklist you can check against to see if a seller in general is selling legit products.
    well if i see a GBA title with a buy it now of £2.87 and it's only just been released with a retail of £29.99 and it's shipping from hong-kong alarm bells tend to ring with me