Thread: PSX games originally sold w/NO manual?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSX games originally sold w/NO manual?

OK.. here's what I'm talking about.. anybody know what this is?

About 4 months ago I won a copy of Hot Shots Golf 2 on eBay. The picture showed the disc in an open case with what appeared to be a manual in the front half of the case. BTW.. the seller did NOT advertise it as "complete" (live & learn).

So when I got the game.. there was the game CD in a totally clear PSX-style jewel case along with the back inlay. What I thought was a manual is simply a folded "leaflet". I mean.. it has a front illustration just LIKE a manual. On the inside of the front is obligatory warnings and "hint-line" info. The backside of this cover has an ad for Hot Shots golf balls and a towel. The inside of the back has the warranty info.. just like a manual.

This appears to be the FULL game CD.. not a demo. Looking at this "leaflet" it is NOT reprinted by anyone (i.e. taken off the net and ink-jetted).. it's the real thing. There are NO staple holes in the spine and the leaflet itself is simply too thin to ever have held any "insides" (i.e. manual pages). In other words.. it looks like it came from the factory this way. Nor is there any "Not for resale" markings on the CD or leaflet or back inlay anywhere (meaning it's not a "pack-in").

I can't imagine a golf game coming WITHOUT instructions and the game has no in-game tutorial.. per se. I only collect complete games with manuals. I'd like to bid again on the game but was wondering if anybody else with this game could confirm that this is just the way it comes.. or not. I'm baffled. I own 100+ PSX games.. all complete.. but I've never seen anything like this.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know you say it's not home-made, but for some reason, my fishy-o-meter is going off at full tilt from your description.

Is this a "twilight game", i.e. one of the final titles released for the system, usually by a small developer in small quantities on a small budget? That might be it, but even so...yep. Needle on the fishy-o-meter is still pegged.

Have you tried the game out to see if there's an in-game tutorial that covers everything that the manual might have done?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uh-uh.. Hot Shots Golf was a very popular title for the PSX.. so much so that they made HSG 2 (Which this is). This series was actually a straight Sony release. This thing is legit.. no doubt about it. The CD is "screened" (printed?.. whatever) with a picture of one of the characters (the fat guy) and covers the whole CD.

This "leaflet" is also definitely not a home or amateur print. It is glossy and the art and printing is crisp and clear. Like I said before.. I'm sure this is not some kind of "pirate" or ANYTHING like that. Nor am I claiming it's some kind of rare mistake.. as the leaflet looks like there is simply no room for pages to fit inside even if there were some. But maybe it was a manual that didn't get it's insides stapled in.. I dunno.

Although there is no in-game tutorial there is a small section in the in-game menu that somewhat explains the basics of golf.. but that's about it.

If someone else has a copy of the game.. I'd simply like them to confirm the presence or lack of.. a manual. So I don't buy this again and find they're supposed to be like that. Thanks.
    My DP feedback

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a Saturn game, Sega Rally, it did not have a manual just a leaflet type insert.

I believe it was a pack-in game. perhaps the playstation had hotshots as a pack-in game as well.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

I just checked my copy of Hot Shots Golf 2 and there is indeed, just a "leaflet" like you describe. Weird. I never really thought about that before.

And, yes, there is a full tutorial in the game, so maybe that's why they decided to forego the manual.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Good Morning, Fireman Stu is here to put out the fire.

Sony (and only Sony) released a few games for the Playstation that came with that little cover glossy insert, the manual was actually a poster that folded out to show the poster on one side and instructions on the other. Parappa is the only other game off the top of my head that also came like that.

Dont feel bad, as these things are picked up used from game stores alot of the time those posters arnt there anymore and since the insert looks so nice and pretty they dont think that its not complete when they ebay it.

Sony has continued this tradition today with the Jak and Ratchet games, having the much more interactive poster manuals. They are cool, just sometimes a little annoying.

@ PDF: Nope, this was a Sony produced game, that came out well before the twilight of the system. Even the final games all came with full and complete manuals. Sony has strict guidelines about releasing games, print manuals are a must.

@ LogicDustbin: Nope it was never a pack in game. The only packin games that come to mind are the launch games Ridge Racer and Battle Arena Toshinden (and maybe one of the Harry Potter games for the PSOne)

Crisis Averted. Game ON!
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks PapaStu! I went back on eBay and examined every HSG 2 auction I could find.. and was still confused. Most games listed by sellers as complete said they included the manual.. but I suspect they hadn't really checked that closely, as you mentioned. There were a couple that said they included a "poster" (one guy even called it a "map") and they were shown pictured. So I guess if I want a complete copy.. "pseudo-manual" included.. that's what I'll have to get. Thanks again for clearing it up.
    My DP feedback

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can think of some titles that came with a paper poster or the like. MDK springs to mind, at the back of the poster was also a little guide for the game.

But anyway, almost all games originally came with a manual. PAL 1s tend to be thicker.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Dangerboy runs in ready to answer, all groggy from just waking up, sees Papastu's calling card on the desk...lowers his head, and wanders back out, turning off the super hero music...

Just to make this relevant...

Oddball PSX Instruction Manuals:
    Parappa the Rappa - Map
    Hot Shots Golf 2 - Map
    Lunar 1 and 2 - Hard Bound Books

and...uh....yeah this was a wash....

YAWN

Jason