Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeper of the Week: Demon's Crest (SNES)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sleeper of the Week: Demon's Crest (SNES)

Today we have the third game in a series that generally gets roundly ignored by all but a handful of gamers, the Gargoyle’s trilogy. Sadly there’s no actual name for the trilogy so I made that up and it sounds awful, but the trilogy includes Gargoyle’s Quest (Game Boy), Gargoyle’s Quest II (NES), and our focus today, Demon’s Crest for the SNES. All three games give you control of the famous enemy gargoyle Firebrand from Capcom’s legendary action series Ghosts N’ Goblins. You’ve probably seen Firebrand in the Ghosts N’ Goblins series tossing little whirlwinds at you. But suddenly for this series, Firebrand is a good gargoyle, and it’s a whole new game!

The story of Demon’s Crest is a story of revenge. As Firebrand, you fought your way valiantly through a demon civil war and ended up taking control of six crests giving unlimited power. But during your fights you were mortally wounded and a nasty little backstabbing demon stole the crests from you while you were injured and now it’s up to you to kick his ass all the way back to hell. That’s right kids, learn vengeance!

When you start the game, Firebrand has already earned the basic Crest of Fire. However, you can add additional sub-weapons to it by beating levels and eventually completing the crest and gaining back power. You can gain each of the first five Crests back: Fire (which you start with) Earth, Air, Water and Time. I honestly haven’t beat the game so I don’t know if you get the sixth Crest back, but I’d assume so. With each Crest that you retrieve, you gain the ability to morph to a new type of gargoyle with different attack styles, movement and powers. Essentially, Firebrand can (and must) become five different playable characters. The Earth gargoyle for example can run at high speed and break stone statues, and can fire a blast of energy shooting along the ground as well as a normal attack. The main Fire form of Firebrand can instead shoot fireballs, blast through stone blocks, use tornadoes and claws, and blast demon fire.

In addition to all the special forms, Firebrand is very versatile. As a gargoyle, he can fly of course, but he’s heavy so he doesn’t stay in the air for long. Instead, you can glide for short distances, hover in the air and latch onto walls and ledges. You’ll need to use every nuance of Firebrand’s controls to really explore most levels of the game, so be sure to master it all! You can also use special items and even shop in shops in the game, as well as headbutting enemies…even in the air! Firebrand is one capable gargoyle! The game controls very well and you can make some very detailed movements. When you beat levels, you even fly around with Mode 7 and explore a fairly large overworld similar to Actraiser II or Final Fantasy III.

Musically, the game is classic SNES. Don’t expect anything stunning, but it’s solid music, very well-suited to the game. The graphics are very nice and smooth as well. The sprites are very well-detailed and creative. I’d be willing to bet that the same artists and animators that did the Ghosts N’ Goblins series also made Demon’s Crest, as it has a very distinctive look to it. With seven main levels to explore, Demon’s Crest is a fairly sizable game. Don’t expect a 60 hour quest or anything, but it’s a good game for an action platformer! If you can find a copy, go check it out! Copies eBay from $5-25 depending on your luck, and that’s for at most a boxed copy. Here’s some images to tantalize you with!

scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Defenitely a must play SNES title. It's pretty weird, and not your average platformer. The crest transformations were unique and the game was pretty tough in quite a few parts. The music was defenitely very well fitted and creepy. I also love the opening scene of this game, an immediate boss fight with a HUGE bone dragon.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you mention the multiple endings?

Sleeper? This baby is LEGENDARY!

Demon's Blazon to our Japanese friends...and nice to say if you are French or French-Canadian Firebrand aka "The Red Blaze" who has won the war against the Demons to keep Demons and Humans at peace finally...

I slap my offical seal of approval on this week's sleeper...

These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Legendary to you maybe It didn't sell all that well though, and a lot of people have missed it IMO. One of my personal favorites too...very unique and fun!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    Legendary to you maybe It didn't sell all that well though, and a lot of people have missed it IMO. One of my personal favorites too...very unique and fun!
    Yes you are correct, it sold like crap during 1995...I found this baby in a Wal-Mart for $20 brand new...I took it home that day,...finished it in 2 hours...and I thought "Wth??" and little did I know, this game is loaded with exploration and about 6 endings I think?

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Demon's Crest proudly prolonged the Capcom tradition of pitting the player against an obscenely large yet easily conquered boss in the first level.

There are a total of four different endings, and the best two you get by beating the game, getting a new password, and beating the game again if I recall correctly. While it's true there are only a handful of levels most of them had alternate paths and bosses, encouraging backtracking because of the different abilities you earned as you progressed. Definitely more here than the surface suggests.

Even Nintendo Power admitted the game was published in small numbers when they covered it, citing that Capcom didn't expect high sales. The Gargoyle games had to be someone's pet project for them to have pushed the sequels irregardless of profits.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't own and have never played this game. I've heard of it before but never knew it was related to the G&G series. It sounds great and i'll definitely be picking it up.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

God, I remember receiving this game along with Crash Bandicoot 2 almost 10 years ago for Christmas from my grandmother. I guess time really flys when you spend most of it goofing off, eh?

Anywho.. yeah, Demon's Crest was a awesome game that's not only graphically amazing, but the gameplay was rock solid too. Too bad it never really took off because I would've loved to have seen a 32-bit update to the series.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always thought it played more like Mega Man than Ghouls N' Ghosts, because you get crests(parts) and can fly short distances. Great Game.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes! Awesome pick and my favorite SNES game of all time. An excellent platformer with many hidden secrets that will keep you coming back and playing for a long time. Plus the game's legitimately fun, which certainly helps. I loved the fact that you could fly in the air by pressing a button after you've jumped and just motor around.

Nice review and good screen caps, max.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So why does such a great series have such lousy box art? The GB game make the character look like some goofy corporate mascot and SNES one looks like something you would have airbrushed on a liscense plate at the flea market.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think this is the first edition of Maxlords sleeper hit where I actually own the game already. Looks like I won't have to try and track this one down for once.

As usual, great pick. I had no idea there were multiple endings so I'm gonna have to go back and play this one again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the game kicks ass. one of my all time favorites. 2D in all it's amazing glory.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I've been meaning to get this back ever since I sold my copy... which, if I remember correctly, I sold to max.

Definitely a killer game, one of Capcom's best SNES titles. It's worthy of any SNES fan's collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51
    I've been meaning to get this back ever since I sold my copy... which, if I remember correctly, I sold to max.

Definitely a killer game, one of Capcom's best SNES titles. It's worthy of any SNES fan's collection.
    That you did! I replaced my rough ex-rental one with the minty one ya sold me too, otherwise I'd send it back to ya.... :/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is definitely a must play for the SNES. I found it kinda short (I think I beat it in only a few hours), but it was great. Definitely should have had a sequel to this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slimedog
    So why does such a great series have such lousy box art? The GB game make the character look like some goofy corporate mascot and SNES one looks like something you would have airbrushed on a liscense plate at the flea market.
    One word to explain bad box art for any US title "Rushed!"

Yes I remember Gargoyle's Quest...purple monsters...a smiling goofy green gargoyle who looked like something on a can of "Devil Potted meat"

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51

That you did! I replaced my rough ex-rental one with the minty one ya sold me too, otherwise I'd send it back to ya.... :/

No worries... I'll snag another copy eventually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely a gem. I've played the game but never finished it - gotta remedy that sometime.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Feck, I still need a copy of DC... but I have played it. WHOA. Excellence defined. Truly one of Capcom's milestone titles. I like it much more than the Gargoyle's Quest games, which are also great in their own right. The different manifests Firebrand can take and the excellent, challenging boss battles (that Belth fella kicked my ass quite a few times) only enrich the action and adventure that DC is rife with. Who would have thought that the ability to play as one of the Red Arremers from the G'NG series would be so excellent? Heh...
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp