Thread: Sphinx & the Shadow of Set/Misfortunate/Cursed Mummy...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sphinx & the Shadow of Set/Misfortunate/Cursed Mummy...

WHEW! It's gone through quite a few title/name changes but I assume basic gameplay has remained the same...

It was featured as a Buried Treasure on Judg(e)ment Day recently, & Ive never been steered wrong by them- I've even bought games BECAUSE they were featured on the Buried Treasures segment.

So I dug up a demo of it the other day & found it intriguing, & enjoyed it more than the Prince of Persia: SoT demo I played before it (I have that full game). However, the Sphinx demo didnt seem to be "complete"- that is, I got to a certain point for each playable character (Sphinx & the Mummy in separate instances) & didnt know/wasnt told what to do next. For Sphinx, there was a rope I obviously had to climb, but never could grab onto it, although he was climbing a rope in an FMV. As the mummy, I obtained a special key but wasnt told just what to do w/ it.

Now, I usually like to figure out ingame puzzles for myself, & I dont NEED to have my hand held by a game, but I DO appreciate hints/clues as to what to do next.

So Im asking those who've played it- is the game worth tracking down? Does it lead you on & then leave you hanging AFA puzzle solutions go? Reviews I've seen all agree/convey there's something lacking in the game.

What say you?
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, thanks for reminding me that I have to play this game still. I picked it up not too long ago after hearing so much good stuff about it and finding it for dirt cheap (~$8), but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

Hell, I still have the original demo disc they mailed out and Haven't even cracked the wrapping on it

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is worth playing -- it was my first Xbox game, actually -- but you have to realize that looking for an FAQ about the game is a way of life. About 95% of it can be figured out with clues. The last 5% though it seems you need a guide for.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sphinx & The Cursed Mummy is a great game. Fun as hell platformer. I've played about halfway through it, but haven't gotten around to finishing it yet. I found the control good, the story fun, and the music and graphics excellent. Honestly, it might get snuck into a Sleeper later on It's that fun. I have it for the Cube....well worth the $10 I paid for it new!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely worth the purchase...and its so much easier with the cheap price

If I remember correctly, when I played the demo, it seemed kind of unfinished also. But the game is quality fun so I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, espcially for the price, its' a damn good game!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool guys! I found the last copy on the "bargain table" at the local CompUSA. Paid around $15 ($20 w/ 30% off) but from what you've said it's worth every cent. Cant play this weekend but I'll get into it ASAP.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also picked it up for cheap on the PS2, but the game didn't grab me.

There's a lot of "Tomb Raider" esque exploration, where they will just show you where you need to get and let you figure out how to get there.

Also, from the brief time I played, cheap instant deaths are the order of the day here (again like Tomb Raider).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sphinx is a great game. I had way more fun with it then I did with the PoP games not that it's really anything like them. By the way the mummy parts of the game rule!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I didnt mean to tie the two games (Sphinx & PoP) together- I just happened to play the demos back to back.

I wasnt expecting an under-the-radar game like Sphinx to be so intriguing compared to 99% of positive things I heard about PoP where its demo didnt grab me so well...but thats usually what happens to me- I go for the underrated/unknown titles over the popular blockbusters- although PoP was definitely overlooked to a degree.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sphinx was a great game overall, but as mentioned above, sometimes you will need to consult a faq. My only gripe about the game was the friggin ending. I kept thinking to myself, I played through the game for this?!