View Poll Results: Which "major" system of the 1990 SUCKS?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm going to have to say Super Nintendo

5 1.79%
  • I'm going to have to say Sega Genesis

0 0%
  • I'm going with 3DO

56 20.00%
  • I'm gonna have to say Neo-Geo/Neo Geo CD

3 1.07%
  • I have to put my vote on the Sega 32X

54 19.29%
  • No question, I have to go with Atari Jaguar

79 28.21%
  • Sega CD sucked big time. That's my pick.

15 5.36%
  • The TurboDuo was lame. Hu cards and CD's sucked

5 1.79%
  • The Sega Saturn was a total freaking dud. Admit it!

6 2.14%
  • Playstation, Gaystation, that system sucked. I don't care what anybody says!

23 8.21%
  • The Nintendo 64 was an abomination to gaming! Yuck!

32 11.43%
  • Sega Dreamcast deserved to die a painfull death, and should have died sooner!

2 0.71%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Worst "Major" Game System of the 1990's!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    Man, I miss the good old days when people cared more about games than systems and their makers.
    Those days never existed. There's been fanboyism since the Atari 2600 and the Mattel Intellivision.

-- Z.

it always goes back to george plimpton... basturd

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Jaguar, no question. Some slight enjoyment here, but not much.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    Man, I miss the good old days when people cared more about games than systems and their makers.
    Those days never existed. There's been fanboyism since the Atari 2600 and the Mattel Intellivision.

-- Z.
    Funny about that, back in those days my friend with the Intellivision didn't rag on me because I had a 2600. We just enjoyed the fact that we could play different games at each other's houses. Not to say that fanboys didn't exist back then, but things sure as hell weren't like they are now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Wow TurboDuo and Genesis only two systems to not get any votes.

That's much love. I sure as hell would never give either of those systems a vote.
    I was gonna say the exact same thing last night, when the tg-16 had zero votes. That was a good little "underdog" system. I could see why hardly anyone would pick the Genesis...The best console for shmups, period. And of course, there's Sonic.. It's add-ons are a whole other story..

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

voted 32X

A lot of people here seem to vote Jaguar just because of hear-say but do not realize that at the time :

- Alien Vs Predator : revolutionnary killer app
    - Tempest 2000 : addictive killer app
    - Doom : best port ever
    - Iron Soldier 1 and 2 anyone?
    - Val D'Isere Skying : that was SSX before SSX
    - Rayman : ... was supposed to be an exclusive... still a gem anyway
    - the bundled game was the first game ever to allow free roaming in your entirely 3D environment with gouraud shading... bad game but still impressive.
    - the VLM blue away everybody who saw it.
    - + lots of fun little games like : Attack of the Mutant Penguins, DinoDudes, Theme Park, Syndicate, Rayden...
    - CD add on with Myst, Highlander

Jaguar is more the #1 missed opportunity than the worst system of the 90's.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted 32X even though I would agree that it is not a *major* system, but an add-on. Having distinct games, as was pointed out before, does not make this a separate console.

Super Nintendo: Come on, this was a great system, even though I very rarely play it anymore.

Sega Genesis: Now this is what I'm talking about. The finest video game system ever made.

3DO This is a contender. Not much here I ever cared for. The more I think, this might be worse than 32X because if I have a 32X, at least I can still play Genesis games. With this, I just have crap.

Neo-Geo/Neo Geo CD: Never played, but Metal Slug and those fighters look sweet.

Sega 32X: OK, what do we have here? Terrible version of Doom? Check? Poor craftsmanship that makes games freeze? Check. Games that look like they couldn't have been done on the Genny..... Hello?.....Anyone?

Atari Jaguar: Crap, but AvP, T2K and Visual Light save it.

Sega CD: Very underrated, I see. Lunar? Rocks. Popful Mail? Roxors. Silpheed? Ugly, but Roxx. Hell, these games looked like they couldn't be done on the Genesis, but it only added a few effects, as opposed to the 32X, which supposedly doubled the power of the Genny.

TurboDuo: TG16 had Military Madness, assuming you can still play this on Turbo Duo, it stays.

Sega Saturn I never really played Saturn. Hell, I've OWNED one for months and still never set it up. From what I hear, might be a contender.

Playstation: No way, The graphics may not have aged well, but I had a LOT of fun with this.

Nintendo 64: Not great, but I have a collection of 35 games, 30 of which are really worthwhile. I don't really want any more games for this, but there are some gems.

Sega Dreamcast: Don't hit me, please, but I'm not a DC guy. I hated Shenmue. Didn't care about PSO. I'm not saying the system (loud as it is) was no good, just not my thing.

So there you go; 32X or 3do.
    Hmmm, should we be worried about the 360 or PS3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

N64

I completely agree with sabre2922's last post. The N64 is what made me loose interest in videogames altogether. It wasn't until I bought a Playstation a year or two later that I regained my interest.

I've loved Nintendo ever since the NES, the SNES is my favorite system of all time.. and I really love the Gamecube. But N64?? Total piece of crap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those days never existed.
    I don't suppose anybody was fighting over which Home Pong clone was better.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I'm kinda suprised that the Jag has such a commanding lead in this poll.

I'm also kinda suprised that the 32X is 3rd behind the 3DO and Jag. The 32X should be winning this poll in a landslide.

As for the Jag, I will admit that the Jag does indeed suck, but it doesn't suck as bad as the 32X. Not even close. The Jag actually had a few redeeming games. The 32X didn't have squat. And don't bring up Knuckles Chaotix, because that game is pretty damn lame. I'm a huge fan of the Sonic games, and I have to say of all the 2D games in the Sonic Universe, Knuckles Chaotix is the worst.

Now I have talked alot of smack about the Jaguar in the past. I've talked about how I think the Jag is much closer to 16-bit than 64-bit. I've talked about how the Jag isn't much more advanced than the Super Nintendo. I've talked about how alot of Jag games could have easily been done on the Super Nintendo, but let's not forget that the Jag did have a few pretty good games.

It had an awesome version of Doom. Many people feel that the Playstation version of Doom is much better, because the PSone version has music and the Jag doesn't, and I probably agree with those sentiments, but the Jag version of doom was damn good. Way, way, way better than the 32X version of Doom. Then you have Aliens Vs. Predator. AVP was the one Jag game that actually made you think that this system could really be 64-bit. That game kicked major ass when it first came out. It was definitely next level entertainment at that time. The 32X doesn't have any game even remotely close to AVP. Then you have Cybermorph. Some people don't care for Cybermorph, they don't see the beauty in it, but I sure do. Cybermorph is an absolute classic that is tremendously underrated. It had a really good version of Raiden, a very fun overhead racer in Power Drive Rally. Iron Soldier definitely was better than Metal Head.

The Jag was definitely a crappy machine, I'm not going to argue that, but it had SOME redeeming games.

The 32X didn't have any.

By the way, the only reason the 3DO is in second, is because alot of people haven't really sampled what the 3DO has to offer, and the 3DO has a huge library of really crappy games. But it also has some very good games too. Way more good games than the 32X.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cityside75

"threatened my videogaming credibility" - no mention of punishment or house arrest here...

All I meant was that I'm considered the videogame expert by my family and friends, and when I hyped the N64 up as the next big thing and bypassed the Playstation to wait for it, we all expected more than we got. A lot of my friends were fighting game fans back then and some of them had bought Playstations for Tekken, etc. The first year of the N64 brought Mortal Kombat Trilogy, KI Gold, and Fighters Destiny x_x . So when I finally sold it and got a Playstation I received some "good-natured ribbing" from some friends.
    Ahhhhh okay... I get it now.

Didn't mean to write that post in such a prickish manner myself. Was pretty eccentric and saw the post and was like "HAHAHAH FAMILY HATES THE 64? HAHAHA OMG *posts*".

And yeah, I agree the 64 was pretty overhyped.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everyone who voted "32X" is wrong.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do care more about games, why do you think I hate Sony so damn much! I see Sony as a major part of a long running spiral of gameplay into the bowels of hell.

You act as if console manufacturers have no influence on software.

Or are you just in denial?

By controlling the market for a number of years, they have steered things away from gameplay, toward flash devoid of substance.

I vote for PS as worst system that is, was, and ever shall be.

The damage it has done cannot be repaired. The real Sega is dead. Nintendo was forced into taking less time to perfect games because they were being rushed.

Look what Sony did to 2D. Look at how they make importers suffer. Look at the way the murdered a far superior system with a half-assed video playback gimmick.

!@#$ Sony. They have done so much to trash our hobby.

How can you defend them? It's insane.

They convinced uninformed people cd's sound better than vinyl, that the PS was more powerful than Saturn (it isn't), that the PS2......

And yet people rush out to buy a cheap feeling and looking $350 portable that they swear looks "sexy" whatever the hell they mean by that, as if it actually had enough games to justify it.

BTW. If you waited for them to be cheap the 32X and Jag are both great. They just lack in quantity of games, they both have some quality in their libraries.

They don't suck. They didn't hurt gaming.

I didn't pay $350 for them, no dead pixels or two hour battery, and they have better games than PSP. So bah.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by studvicious
    I've loved Nintendo ever since the NES, the SNES is my favorite system of all time.. and I really love the Gamecube. But N64?? Total piece of crap.
    How can you say that? While the N64 may not have been near as great as Nintendo first two consoles, it does have some of the greatest (and most innovative) games of all time on it. Super Mario 64, LOZ:OOT, Super Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye. All 4 of those games are far better than anything that 3DO,32X,Sega CD,Turbo Duo,Sega Saturn,Sega Dreamcast, or Neo Geo have to offer.

I don't even like the N64 that much and only have a handful of games for it, but I can't stand how people are bashing it like this. You can't even compare it to the crap systems on that list. The only systems on that list that are better than N64 are the SNES the the Genesis. Everything else was never popular, and was like that for a reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

Quote Originally Posted by imanerd0011
    How can you say that? While the N64 may not have been near as great as Nintendo first two consoles, it does have some of the greatest (and most innovative) games of all time on it. Super Mario 64, LOZ:OOT, Super Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye. All 4 of those games are far better than anything that 3DO,32X,Sega CD,Turbo Duo,Sega Saturn,Sega Dreamcast, or Neo Geo have to offer.
    Well see, that's just your opinion. Personally I would much rather choose to play Dreamcast than N64. And I would also choose Sega CD, Saturn, Neo-Geo, and Turbo Duo. That's just my personal choice.

I would MUCH rather play a crappy game on a console with an intuitive, easy to use (and control!) controller, as opposed to playing a quality title on the N64.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

32x. Loved playing it back in the day when one of my rich friends was able to buy it for $200. Played it recently and it just sucked ass, completely. I don't think the thing is COMPLETELY terrible, but it's the worst in my opionion in this poll.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well see, that's just your opinion. Personally I would much rather choose to play Dreamcast than N64. And I would also choose Sega CD, Saturn, Neo-Geo, and Turbo Duo. That's just my personal choice.

I would MUCH rather play a crappy game on a console with an intuitive, easy to use (and control!) controller, as opposed to playing a quality title on the N64.
    I hear yah, but it seems like your making this a "What was your least fav. Nintendo system" poll. That's just what it seems like to me.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 4 people that voted for the Super Nintendo, if that vote was actually a serious vote, then you need to be taken out back and shot.

I mean, I know that's kinda harsh. Me saying that the 4 people that voted for the Super Nintendo, should be sleeping with the fishes, but damn, that is a bad, bad selection on your part, and I think the 4 people should all fess up and explain their brief moment of insanity.

And the Genesis, damn, true gamers know the Genesis was a dream. That's the best sign of respect you can get.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I would much rather choose to play Dreamcast than N64. And I would also choose Sega CD, Saturn, Neo-Geo, and Turbo Duo. That's just my personal choice.
    Amen to that. I'd rather play "Power Stone 2" all day than even consider an N64.

I wouldn't even use an N64 as a doorstop....thats how much i dislike that system.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 4 people that voted for the Super Nintendo, if that vote was actually a serious vote, then you need to be taken out back and shot.
    Only if they are Sony fans.

Personally I would much rather choose to play Dreamcast than N64. And I would also choose Sega CD, Saturn, Neo-Geo, and Turbo Duo. That's just my personal choice.
    So would I, but you just named my all time favorite systems among the alternatives so that isn't saying much. You aren't trying to say anything bad about Saturn, DC, Duo, etc are you.

If you are than you deserve to play nothing but Superman 64 life.

Power Stone 2
    Was it really that bad? It was weak and all, but.....

the Genesis was a dream
    Yes...
    And Sega was a dream, murdered by Sony's nightmares.

I don't even like the N64 that much and only have a handful of games for it, but I can't stand how people are bashing it like this. You can't even compare it to the crap systems on that list.
    I only have a handful myself, and I don't bash it either.

But what crap systems...... None of them lacked at least a few games that made them worthwhile.

Even the PS has decent games, just nothing that makes it worthwhile IMO. And it represents a side of gaming that I hate. Sony consoles are a symbol to me of flash over substance, of unreliable hardware, etc. It doesn't mean those problems don't crop up elsewhere.

I merely choose to make an example of the most blatant examples is all.

Some people bash Nintendo, I bash Sony. I feel I have reason to.

I wouldn't even use an N64 as a doorstop....thats how much i dislike that system.
    I guess I can't really complain considering I say the same thing about PS2 repeatedly.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FurinkanianFrood

Power Stone 2
    Was it really that bad? It was weak and all, but.....
    Weak? I do wish it had more levels, but that game rocks. Thats the one game right there that makes sure i never get rid of my Dreamcast.

I guess I can't really complain considering I say the same thing about PS2 repeatedly.[/quote]

I wouldn't mind owning one (PS2) but i'm not keen on owning a system that may stop working at any moment.

I like Sony, thier products have always been rock solid...WTF happened to the PS2?

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz