View Poll Results: Which "major" system of the 1990 SUCKS?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm going to have to say Super Nintendo

5 1.79%
  • I'm going to have to say Sega Genesis

0 0%
  • I'm going with 3DO

56 20.00%
  • I'm gonna have to say Neo-Geo/Neo Geo CD

3 1.07%
  • I have to put my vote on the Sega 32X

54 19.29%
  • No question, I have to go with Atari Jaguar

79 28.21%
  • Sega CD sucked big time. That's my pick.

15 5.36%
  • The TurboDuo was lame. Hu cards and CD's sucked

5 1.79%
  • The Sega Saturn was a total freaking dud. Admit it!

6 2.14%
  • Playstation, Gaystation, that system sucked. I don't care what anybody says!

23 8.21%
  • The Nintendo 64 was an abomination to gaming! Yuck!

32 11.43%
  • Sega Dreamcast deserved to die a painfull death, and should have died sooner!

2 0.71%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Worst "Major" Game System of the 1990's!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by FurinkanianFrood
    Man, I miss the good old days when people cared more about games than systems and their makers.
    I do care more about games, why do you think I hate Sony so damn much! I see Sony as a major part of a long running spiral of gameplay into the bowels of hell.

You act as if console manufacturers have no influence on software.

Or are you just in denial?

By controlling the market for a number of years, they have steered things away from gameplay, toward flash devoid of substance.

I vote for PS as worst system that is, was, and ever shall be.

The damage it has done cannot be repaired. The real Sega is dead. Nintendo was forced into taking less time to perfect games because they were being rushed.

Look what Sony did to 2D. Look at how they make importers suffer. Look at the way the murdered a far superior system with a half-assed video playback gimmick.

!@#$ Sony. They have done so much to trash our hobby.

How can you defend them? It's insane.

They convinced uninformed people cd's sound better than vinyl, that the PS was more powerful than Saturn (it isn't), that the PS2......

And yet people rush out to buy a cheap feeling and looking $350 portable that they swear looks "sexy" whatever the hell they mean by that, as if it actually had enough games to justify it.

BTW. If you waited for them to be cheap the 32X and Jag are both great. They just lack in quantity of games, they both have some quality in their libraries.

They don't suck. They didn't hurt gaming.

I didn't pay $350 for them, no dead pixels or two hour battery, and they have better games than PSP. So bah.
    So much anger. So much bitterness. So much bile.

No, I'm not defending anyone, because I really don't care. Nor am I going to debate you on these dead horse, beat into the ground accusations because I'm not a system warrior. I'm just going to say for someone who claims to care more about games, you sure are taking the existance of the PlayStation personally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoMan
    I hear yah, but it seems like your making this a "What was your least fav. Nintendo system" poll. That's just what it seems like to me.
    Nope, I *LOVE* Nintendo just as much as anyone but the N64 just really .... really dissapointed me - thus, that is why it got my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by FurinkanianFrood
    So would I, but you just named my all time favorite systems among the alternatives so that isn't saying much. You aren't trying to say anything bad about Saturn, DC, Duo, etc are you.
    No not at all. What I meant was I would much rather play just about every other system on that list over a N64 (that's why I voted for it)

I'm not trying to bash any system, or company for that matter. To me, the N64 is just one of those systems that I have a hard time playing. Not just because of the so-so games but because I have a hard time playing it. I just can't get past the controller. Maybe it's because I'm 6'4" and have large hands? I don't know. A good controller will let you experience the games without even thinking that you have a controller in your hands. Whereas with the N64 I'm constantly switching my hands between the "prongs" trying to find something usuable, but I just can't.

I must say they won me back with the Gamecube - sweet, sweet controller. I love it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy
    I would've voted CD-i.....
    I'll second that. If the Jaguar was a "major" system, then the CD-i sure as hell was. THe CD-i is the biggest piece of crap out there. There is simply no reason to buy this thing. Most of the games are already available on other consoles (3DO, Sega CD and Jaguar CD), most of which do a better job at it. The controllers sucked, especially that non-gaming controller thing-a-ma-jig with the trackball built into it. Then on top of it we get games like Link: The Faces of Evil, Zelda's Adventure, and Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon. What a shame. I can't think of the last time I played any game on the CD-i and enjoyed myself.

If I had to describe the CD-i in one phrase, I'd use that saying they use in cop shows, "Move along please, there's nothing to see here."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    Man, I miss the good old days when people cared more about games than systems and their makers.
    Those days never existed. There's been fanboyism since the Atari 2600 and the Mattel Intellivision.

-- Z.
    They both sucked. Colecovision ruled!

Just kidding. When I saw that I remembered the fanboyism of olden days.

The majority of kids had the 2600
    The quirky kids had Intellivisions
    The rich kids had Colecovisions
    The kids who were behind the times had the Fairchild Channel F
    and of course the diehards still had their Odyssey 2 claiming it was better that everything else.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How can anyone say the N64 disappointed them? HOW!

Sure it didn't have the largest or the all round library most popular consoles have but that was because the console was under appreciated, not coz it sucked.

Was Super Mario 64 disappointing to you?
    Was Zelda OOT disappointing to you?
    Was Zelda MM disappointing to you?
    Was Blast Corps disappointing to you?
    Was Goldeneye 007 disappointing to you?
    Was Wayne Gretzkys disappointing to you?
    Was Tetrisphere disappointing to you?
    Was Perfect Dark disappointing to you?
    Was Banjo Kazooie disappointing to you?
    Was Mario Kart disappointing to you?
    Was Diddy Kong Racing disappointing to you?
    Was F-Zero X disappointing to you?
    Was Mortal Kombat 4 disappointing to you?
    Was Bomberman 64 disappointing to you?
    Was Top Gear Rally disappointing to you?
    Was San Francisco Rush disappointing to you?
    Was Turok series disappointing to you?
    Was All Star Baseball disappointing to you?
    Was F1 World Grand Prix disappointing to you?
    Was NFL Quarterback Club disappointing to you?
    Was Lylat Wars disappointing to you?
    Was Pilotwings disappointing to you?
    Was Wetrix disappointing to you?
    Was Bust a Move disappointing to you?
    Was FIFA 98 RTWC disappointing to you?

and all ther others............

After reading this post and you still think N64 is crap or even more disappointing than GC, well you neeed to run to a doctor ASAP

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The controller was disappointing.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    I'll second that. If the Jaguar was a "major" system, then the CD-i sure as hell was. THe CD-i is the biggest piece of crap out there.
    Is the CD-I even a game machine? Phillips never marketed it as solely a game machine. It was supposed to be a interactive multimedia player. That's what 3DO was initially, but they wised up and dropped the "multimedia" crap.

Why isn't the Jaguar a "major" system? "It had crappy games" is not a valid reason. It was a dedicated console from Atari intended to take on Sega and Nintendo. Not an add-on. Not a multimedia device.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as people talking about whether or not such n such is a major system, or this system is a major system and it's not included, or this isn't a major system and it shouldn't be included, or this is really a add on, etc, etc.

here is my take on this....

Basically, I picked all the major systems from the 90's that were major players in the game, or at least attempting to be major players in the game.

I didn't include the CD-I or the FM Towns Marty or the NEC PC-FX or the Amiga CD32 for a reason.

None of them were ever a "serious" competitor, and had I included any of those systems, they would be an easy "out" if you know what I mean.

They would be an easy way out, because you would be able to vote for a system that nobody really gives a damn about anyways, and then you could get away without pissing anybody off.

I deliberately wanted to avoid that.

Also, some people complain about the add ons. Well, the Sega CD had a flavor all it's own, and it basically competed on it's own as far as I was concerned. Sure you need a Genny for it to work, but I like to consider the Sega CD as it's own system, of course I'm just thinking of the CD games and not carts when I do this.

Same thing with the 32X. I'm only considering 32X carts. I'm not taking into consideration the fact that it can also play Genny carts. I'm just looking at it like it's, it's own unique system, with it's own unique flavor.

And in regards to any of these systems not being "major", I think some people have argued that the Jaguar was never a major system, or the 32X was never a major system, well, they never achieved the success that they were looking for, but that doesn't mean that they weren't a major system, and that they didn't compete for the ultimate prize in terms of market share. Ultimately they didn't stand a chance, but that doesn't mean they didn't give it the ole' college try.

All the Gaming magazines covered Atari Jaguar and Sega 32X during the beginning phases of their availability, so I consider them to have been "major" players during the 90's.

The CD-I never really received major coverage by anybody. It was more of an oddity than anything else, and I think including the CD-I, just gives people an easy "out".

I don't want anybody to have a easy out, I want them to have to really think and choose a system that maybe they don't really want to admit that they thinked sucked, because somebody on here might give them hell for it.

I like making people feel uncomfortable. You get closer to the truth when people are uncomfortable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRV
    I'll second that. If the Jaguar was a "major" system, then the CD-i sure as hell was. THe CD-i is the biggest piece of crap out there.
    Is the CD-I even a game machine? Phillips never marketed it as solely a game machine. It was supposed to be a interactive multimedia player. That's what 3DO was initially, but they wised up and dropped the "multimedia" crap.
    Yes it was. There were a lot of games released for it. I think about 115 games released in the US. More than tyhe Jaguar, that's for sure. Just because it did other things (play vcd movied) or have interactive educational items, doesn't meant was not a gaming console. Sega CD and 3DO both had those interactive bullshit CDs as well. Plus don't forget that "Make My Video" bullshit. The CD-i also had gaming controllers and a light gun available for it. Lastly, Magnavox realeased a model that looked like any other type of console at that time. It was meant to be a gaming machine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes it was. There were a lot of games released for it. I think about 115 games released in the US. More than tyhe Jaguar, that's for sure. Just because it did other things (play vcd movied) or have interactive educational items, doesn't meant was not a gaming console. Sega CD and 3DO both had those interactive bullshit CDs as well. Plus don't forget that "Make My Video" bullshit. The CD-i also had gaming controllers and a light gun available for it. Lastly, Magnavox realeased a model that looked like any other type of console at that time. It was meant to be a gaming machine.
    Look at the Commodore 64. It was a personal computer, but it probably had more games than any other kind of software. There were also different peripherals. They even made a consolized version called the C64GS. Does that mean it's not actually a personal computer?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there any official number on how many c64 games that were made?

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

No, but we're up to 17,000 at Gamebase64 and still adding...

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shit.. hehe, thats alot
    Why is so many games for C64 acctualy? If its possible to answer that.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had to vote for 32X. One of my buddies had it back in the day when it came out, he had Doom for it, enough said. The 3DO comes in a close second though, that system was pretty bad IMO and expensive!

As for the N64 discussion, I'll have to throw in my 2 cents. I only started playing N64 this year when I picked one up off my friend. Ever since I started playing Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 I've been hooked. Sure the controller isn't the greatest, but a lot of the games are pretty good, if you sift through a lot of the crap. Mostly the mario games though.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Based on the results of this poll, we can actually infer the opposite response. What is the best "major" system of the 1990's. The less votes you have for worst, makes you the best....

Well, not quite, but still, it's interesting to look at which systems got the least votes for being horrible.

1. Sega Genesis - Not one single vote. That is pretty freaking impressive if you ask me. Nuff Respect.

2. TurboDuo - Only a single vote. An amazing achievement considering that not that many people are familar with the TurboDuo and it could have been an easy choice as a scapegoat.

3. Sega Dreamcast - Only two votes for the DC. Pretty impressive. Especially considering both of these votes where early on in the voting and nobody has added any more votes to a system that died a very premature death.

4. Neo Geo/Neo Geo CD - Only two votes for Neo-Geo/CD. Kinda suprising, because both this system and the TurboDuo, could have been easy scapegoat choices. Maybe the fact that many people have never owned either, actually helped them!

5. Super Nintendo - 4 votes. The fact that anybody voted for this as the worst system, might just suggest that this poll is totally bogus, because everybody knows that pound for pound, there is no better system on God's green Earth.

6. Sega Saturn - 5 votes. This system had 2 votes very early, so it's pretty impressive to see it only get a couple more votes down the stretch. Back in the days I actually thought the Saturn sucked (da horrah), but then I found out about all the great games in Japan, and all the great games that I never played.

7. Sega CD - 11 votes. This is where it started to go downhill. 11 votes isn't exactly something to brag about. But the 6 systems above definitely got some respect as far as the 90's are concerned.

I'm thinking that the Sony Playstation should have also got major respect, but there are just too many people with Anti-Sony feelings on this board that it prevents them from being honest and realistic about the matter.

Anybody that voted for the Playstation, should definitely admit to themselves, that their extreme hatred for anything Sony clouded their judgement. They really should post the system other than the PSX, that they think sucks.

I'm a Sony hater too, but I have to begrudgingly admit that the PSone was one of the best systems of all time and has absolutely no business getting a single vote, much less 18 votes. It would be interesting to know what those 18 people would have voted for if the PSX wasn't available as an option.

Would the votes go towards the Jaguar, 32X or 3DO?

I know which system of those 3 that they should go to, but apparently my views are in the minority. God forbid.

he he

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

32X shouldn't even be on this list. It isn't really a system in my eyes but an add-on and its certainly not a major system. BUT If you can really call it a system and you classify it as a "major" system how could anyone in their right mind vote for anything other than this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Worst "Major" Game System of the 1990's!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Ok, we are going to take a look at the decade of the 1990's and vote on the worst "major" game system of the decade.

This is sure to start quite a bit of discussion and arguing.

Could be very interesting.

Now, let me explain what I mean by "major". Basically, what I mean is that we aren't going to consider the minor and insignificant consoles of the 1990's.

I don't know how you can call the 32X a "major" system. Not only was it an add-on, but it only had 36 games. I think every other system on the list had more games. I don't know too much about the 3DO or Jag but I've heard the 3DO actually had quite a few good games. I've never really heard anything compelling about the Jag. I can say though, I've played each of those exactly one time and they were both ridiculously horrible. I remember playing cybermorph for Jag and some FMV racing game for 3DO. Completely unacceptable. I did vote for the 32X though. I have all 36 games for the 32X and I can easily say if they didn't exist I wouldn't miss them much. Most of the good games for it came out for other consoles, like Blackthorne, World Series Baseball, Doom and Space Harrier, often in better versions. Sonic & Knuckles is mediocre and while Star Wars and Shadow Squadron are good, they would've been better on the Saturn. Even the Sega CD version of B.C. Racers is better than the 32X (except the graphics). Spider-man is really good, but not $100 - $200 good. The FMV games need not be mentioned by name as it would be a waste of time. So basically, if you take out the games that were released as better versions on other systems, the 32X had 5 worthwhile games:

Amazing Spider-man: Web Of Fire
    Blackthorne
    Brutal: Above The Claw
    Kolibri
    World Series Baseball

And that's if you like Brutal, which I don't. So my top 3 list of worthless systems is:

1. 32X
    2. Jaguar
    3. 3DO

Now that I think of it, maybe the Jag is worse than the 32X. Does the Jag have more than 4 really great games?

As for people voting for the SNES or Sega CD as the worst system, they must be deluded. Anyone voting for the SNES secretly loves it and anyone voting for the Sega CD hasn't played the worthwhile games. I'm also really surprised so many people voted the N64 as the worst. The poll isn't about living up to expectations, it's about the worst system. N64 had quite a few irreplicable experiences. Has anyone here ever even played Excitebike 64? It's one of the best games ever made for any system. It still amazes me today how well made and deep it is. Mario Kart 64 is THE kart game for any system, ever. Goldeneye was unmatched for it's time, even on PCs. Yeah, there was some fog, but if you've got a nice sharp TV it's not so bad. Look at the Playstation in comparison. PS1 had some of the worst graphics of all time. I still don't understand how people say it looks better than Saturn, and it's not even close to the N64. Although I do have to say the very first NFL Blitz for the Playstation is the best Blitz ever made.

Genesis - with a 6-button controller - Awesome

SNES - Awesome

Sega CD - take away all FMV games - Awesome

32X - barely even a system but a few great games - Sucks

Jag/3DO - I need to play more games - Probably sucks

Saturn - Awesome

Playstation - minus the top 5% of it's games - Sucks

N64 - if you like the controller - Awesome

DC - minus it's children's themed controller, which is the only system ever to have LESS buttons than its predecessor - Awesome

So basically get every system and you're covered.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ernster

Sure it didn't have the largest or the all round library most popular consoles have but that was because the console was under appreciated, not coz it sucked.

Was Super Mario 64 disappointing to you? <-- NO
    Was Zelda OOT disappointing to you? <-- HELL NO
    Was Zelda MM disappointing to you? <-- yes
    Was Blast Corps disappointing to you? --- Up urs too
    Was Goldeneye 007 disappointing to you? --- NO
    Was Wayne Gretzkys disappointing to you? <-- LMAO
    Was Tetrisphere disappointing to you? -- get a life
    Was Perfect Dark disappointing to you? - NO
    Was Banjo Kazooie disappointing to you?-- NO
    Was Mario Kart disappointing to you?--YES
    Was Diddy Kong Racing disappointing to you?-- you are smoking crap to mention that crap.
    Was F-Zero X disappointing to you?--- amm NO
    Was Mortal Kombat 4 disappointing to you? --- Just Give up
    Was Bomberman 64 disappointing to you?-- BORING
    Was Top Gear Rally disappointing to you?-- are you out of ur mind ?
    Was San Francisco Rush disappointing to you?---NO But it was much better on Dremacast
    Was Turok series disappointing to you?--- BORING
    Was All Star Baseball disappointing to you? --HOLY HELL YES
    Was F1 World Grand Prix disappointing to you? -- FUCK YES
    Was NFL Quarterback Club disappointing to you? -- FUCK YES
    Was Lylat Wars disappointing to you? -- FUCK YES
    Was Pilotwings disappointing to you? -- FUCK YES
    Was Wetrix disappointing to you? -- FUCK YES
    Was Bust a Move disappointing to you? -- FUCK YES
    Was FIFA 98 RTWC disappointing to you? -- FUCK YES

After reading this post and you still think N64 is crap or even more disappointing than GC, well you neeed to run to a doctor ASAP

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ernster

Was Super Mario 64 disappointing to you?
    Was Zelda OOT disappointing to you?
    Was Zelda MM disappointing to you?
    Was Blast Corps disappointing to you?
    Was Goldeneye 007 disappointing to you?
    Was Wayne Gretzkys disappointing to you?
    Was Tetrisphere disappointing to you?
    Was Perfect Dark disappointing to you?
    Was Banjo Kazooie disappointing to you?
    Was Mario Kart disappointing to you?
    Was Diddy Kong Racing disappointing to you?
    Was F-Zero X disappointing to you?
    Was Mortal Kombat 4 disappointing to you?
    Was Bomberman 64 disappointing to you?
    Was Top Gear Rally disappointing to you?
    Was San Francisco Rush disappointing to you?
    Was Turok series disappointing to you?
    Was All Star Baseball disappointing to you?
    Was F1 World Grand Prix disappointing to you?
    Was NFL Quarterback Club disappointing to you?
    Was Lylat Wars disappointing to you?
    Was Pilotwings disappointing to you?
    Was Wetrix disappointing to you?
    Was Bust a Move disappointing to you?
    Was FIFA 98 RTWC disappointing to you?

SM64 - Sucked stipid 3D and I hate feel sorry I gave it a new stry on DS
    Zelda OOT and MM - The complete feeling of the orginal Zelda was gone so I sold the games both soon
    Blast corps- Yes a decnt game
    Goldeneye, Turok, Perfect Dark - more 3D shooters which I can't stand anyway
    Tetrisphere - A average puzzlegame which didn't make it on Jag as it died too early
    Sportsgames - don't like them at all, anyway
    Bust-A-Move - Nothing special and released on som many other consoles with better controllers
    Wetrix - decent puzzle game
    Pilotwings - Nice game
    Lylat Wars - Disapointing sequal, only remember it cames with a rumble pack
    Race game - Mario Kart was good, didn't like DKR. SFR was also fun but prefer the DC-version. Top Gear never came to the level of the SNES-parts
    Mortal Kombat 4 - How can you like that crap, maybe start playing the sidescrolling Sub-Zero one or someting.
    Bomberman 64 - Nothing near the later SNES Supetr Bomberman games or Saturn Bomberman.
    F-Zero X- Nice update although I prefer the SNES-version.

I doubted too vote for the N64, in the end I voted for 3DO as it has even worse memories. Still don't get why the Jaguar is on one. The quality of Tempest 2000 makes me use the system every week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im staying with my N64 vote not just for the fact that it was such a let down but it was a very badly designed system as well

Hell just think what Nintendo or Rare could have done with the Jaguar
    I mean in all respect that IS a fair comparison.
    Sure the N64 was more powerful but both systems were badly designed the biggest difference being one was supported by a Powerhouse company and the other was supported by a dying once-king with very little money trying to make a comeback in an industry that had passed them by many years beforehand.

I honestly believe that if it hadnt been Nintendo backing the N64 (with Rare as a 2nd party) the system wouldnt have lasted 2 years.