Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awesome "Underdog" Games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Awesome "Underdog" Games

I'm wondering what kind of Underdog (Intelligent Qube as compared to say Mega Man 3) Awesome games you can tell me about so I can check it out.

Cherry (Level 1) eightbitonline's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Awesome "Underdog" Games

Quote Originally Posted by BeowulfXXIV
    I'm wondering what kind of Underdog (Intelligent Qube as compared to say Mega Man 3) Awesome games you can tell me about so I can check it out.
    you mean like sleeper hits? check out:

twisted tales of spike mcfang (SNES)
    disaster report (PS2)
    deception (PS1)
    alfred chicken (NES)
    kickle cubicle (NES)
    kiwi kraze (NES)
    krazy kreatures (NES)
    legendary wings (NES)
    metalstorm (NES)
    space shuttle project (NES)
    untouchables (NES)
    vice project doom (NES)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Beyond Good and Evil. One of my fave games ever, and its cheap cheap cheap to pickup. Check it out. Everything about it is awesome.
    I game therefore I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ninja Five-O (GBA): I think of it as a spiritual sucessor to Sega's Shadow Dancer. People who know of this game and have played it know that it is a top notch Ninja action game. It has three levels of difficulty, as well as a time attack that you can unlock. Plenty of replay value in this game, and the Time Attack's and Hard Mode may leave you pulling your hair out. Also, I can't remember if it was SunSoft or Hudson Soft who made this game. Don't let the Konami logo fool you, they only published this great little gem for a U.S. release.

Xexyz (NES): Very obscure title by the great Hudson Soft. A hybrid platformer/shooter adventure game mixed with shmup levels. This game is great fun.

Geki-oh Shooting King: Shienryu (PS1): Warashi's enterence into shmupping domain. The domestic release, published by Natsume can be had for pennies. It comes complete with slowdown, but it's nothing major. This is a quality shmup that often gets overlooked by the more popular Psikyo, Cave, and Raizing shmups. It has some similarities to the Raiden series, but I wouldn't quite call it a Raiden clone.

Wrath of the Black Manta (NES): If you like Shinobi, you might like this game. I've always found this Taito ninja game to play quite similar to The Revenge of Shinobi. The big difference (besides being a completely different ninja game) is that it has a minor, storybased, feel to it. You get cutscenes when you rescue captured civillians, and worthless information when you get ahold of the red baddies. It's always funny because the game tells you that the red bad guys will talk, but they almost always have nothing to give you, usually saying "I don't know" to whatever you ask. The music is catchy too.

Kings Knight (NES): A game that is not listed on the DP rarity guide (I would like to know what level of rarity it is!!!). I always thought that Einhander was Squaresofts entry into shmupping territory but I was wrong! This Square title is a vertical scrolling shmup, but with a midevil theme. You have by default four heroes. A Knight, a Wizard, a Monster, and a Boy Thief. You use them in that order. I haven't gotten far in this game, because it is hard as hell. When you die, that character is gone for good. So once your run with the Knight is over, you say goodbye to him and start up with the Wizard. Each character has it's strenghts and weaknesses. Powerups are abundant in order to level up your characters.

Punky Skunk (PS1): A rather easy, but fun 2D platformer from Jaleco. Get it if you are ever able to find a copy!

Gunbird 2 (DC): Out of all the domestic released shmups for the DC, this one seems to get the least love. I've see many people bash this game (mostly idiots on GFaqs), and it is less talked about than even the origional Giga Wing (WTF?!). It's your solid Psikyo shmup experience, complete with short stages, multi-morphing bosses, and an insane degree of difficulty. If you've ever played any of their Strikers series, then you will be familiar with the gameplay. The big difference, is the setting. This is a semi-cute em up shmup.

Gradius Galaxies (GBA): The only shmup worth owning on the GBA IMO. The game was made specifically for the system. It is very similar to all the other Gradius games out there in terms of stage themes, but it's a new experience. A definate kick-ass horizontal shmup.

That's all I have for now, I'm tired of typing.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wiz 'n' Liz for Genesis. What a blast. Truly delighted me when I was a moody 10 year old. The graphics are almost SNES in quality, there's tons of hidden stuff, and the game is very simple and fast-paced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Look at my signature, and play those games
    Its my most favorite underrated games signature.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I second Beyond Good and Evil; I own the Gamecube version, which seems to have disappeared from ebay recently... hmm.

I saw a copy of King's Knight for $4 at a local shop. Boxed, unsure if complete...

Back on topic:
    The Guardian Legend (NES), Pulseman (JPN Megadrive), and Gunstar Heroes (the ultimate overlooked great!). Shooters and platformers, gotta love them.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

body harvest N64
    <a href="http://bunnysnoog.cyborgcow.net/index.html">
    I adopted a cute lil' death fetus
    from Fetusmart! Hooray fetus! </a>

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Xexyz
    Kings Knight (NES): A game that is not listed on the DP rarity guide (I would like to know what level of rarity it is!!!).
    King's Knight has always been in the database (doesn't look as if our section editor cares for it as much as you do though):
    http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/game.cmf?gameid=6452

PS great post!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mole Mania (SGB): This game looks and sounds best when played on a Super Gameboy, but it is still very enjoyable on any Gameboy, whether it be the original, pocket, super, color, advance, or sp The game is an action adventure game, like the Zelda series, but it involves puzzles that are far more entertaining... kind of like the Lolo series. This game is a total sleeper, very much an Underdog, and you will love it if you ever give it a chance.

Modern Interactive Fiction (PC, GBA, and many other systems): Remember Zork? Well, there are plenty of writers that are still making great interactive fiction games... for free! Not only that, but all you need to play these games is a Z-machine (an emulator of sorts), and there are free Z-machines for basically every platform that you can game on, from the Apple II to the C64 to the GBA to the PC! I suggest any interactive fiction game by Andrew Plotkin:
    http://www.eblong.com/zarf/if.html

Start out with Dreamhold, as it is for newbies and teaches you how to play. Then branch out into whatever you want. There is far more to IF than fantasy dungeon crawls. "So Far", for example is a plot driven drama. And best of all, the games have superior graphics, because its all rendered in your brain

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rocket Knight Adventure (and Sparkster)
    Gargoyle's Quest 1 and 2 (GB and NES)
    Demon's Crest (SNES)
    CastleVania Bloodlines (Alot of people I've met at my store still don't believe this existed )
    Fighter's History (SNES)
    Power Instinct (SNES)
    The 11th Hour (PC)
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

X-com Enemy Uknown. (PC) Most already know about it I just want to pimp it out some more.

Silent Storm (PC) It's really Fun try it you'll like it.

Cyborg Justice (Genesis) nothing like ripping off the arms and legs oppents and using them for yourself.

Macross DYRL (Saturn) Awsome Shump. Only released in Japan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

Silent Bomber for PSone. Awesome shooter/action hybrid. Still haven't bieaten it, dammit.

Pandemonium! for PSone and Saturn. Sequel not as good.

Custom Robo V2 for N64 (Japan) Mech fighting heaven.

Mass Destruction for PSone and Saturn. Saturn version is faster.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Street Racer. This SNES kart racer is better than Super Mario Kart!

Also, Super Buster Bros.(SNES and some other platformes) is good.

And Bust-A-Move 3000 for GC is a good game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys for your input! Some of these sound intriguing to me, especially King's Knight...I'm such a squaresoft buff! On a side note, I made a good find at a local store today...Darius Twin, Super R-Type, Gradius III, Equinox, and Zelda: lttp, for a total of 13$! ^_^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh man, some of my top picks were already mentioned

Silent Bomber, Mole Mania, Intelligent Qube, Body Harvest, Shienryu (which even the shmup community seems to overlook ), Beyond Good & Evil, etc....damnit.

So I'm going to have to start off with the game I'm currently obsessing over:

ChoroQ for PS2. It looks like a retarded preschooler's racing game, but it's actually a reasonably deep and involving cutesy racing game with some nice story/rpg elements thrown in. I hear Road Trip is even better, but I never even knew that existed until I played ChoroQ and tried to reach out to like minded fellows on the interweb. The game can be had for ~$10 brand new anymore (it originaly retailed for $20) and it's an absolute blast.

Sub Rebellion for PS2. The world has flooded and you pilot a submarine plundering the vast oceans for treasure while fighting the evil empire. Good controls, serviceable graphics, and some really fun mission designs. Another bargin bin gem that just should NOT be overlooked. Thank me later.

Freedom Fighters (PS2/PC/Xbox/GC). IOI was allowed to take a break from making Hitman for just long enough to pump out this piece of absolute solid fucking gold. You play a plumber in New York that's out on a job when the Russians invade Red-Dawn style and take over the US. You link up with the resistance and fight back at the evil Red army. Intuitive controls, great mission design, the Glacier engine (from Hitman), and some jaw droppingly badass music. Can not be recommended enough

The Chikyuu Boueigun / Monster Attack for PS2. Only released in Japan and Europe, both locations as a budget title, this title is from the makers of Robotic Alchemic Drive (and uses the same engine). You play a memeber of the Earth Defense Force and have to fight off a hoard of monsters swarming in from the coasts, ants attacking the cities, giant Godzilla-motherfuckers, etc. It's buggy and feels half finished, but it's still a blast to play. Total diamond in the rough. The sequel just came out (Simple 2000 Vol 81), but I've been too wrapped up with ChoroQ to play it

Rocket Robot on Wheels for Nintendo 64. I always recommend this game in Nintendo 64 threads to people looking for a killer title to play. 3D Platformer perfection with evolving/growing levels (as you find more tickets), a wide range of play styles, and just a loveable main character. Sucker Punch really needs to revisit the property at some point when they stop getting whored by Sony to do more Sly Cooper games (not that there's anything wrong with that! Sly Cooper rocks)

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Though it's been recommended before, I'll toss yet another vote in for Beyond Good and Evil. Amazing graphics, amazing musical score, amazing storyline, and impossible to catagorize (adventure? racer? fighter? stelth? photography sim?). Just a beautiful piece of work that I've played through *5* times. And I'm gonna go again this weekend.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dusty Diamonds All-Star Softball (NES)

This game is probably one the best hardball games out there. You pick your own team and each person has their own abilities. Also you play in very unique fields with different rules.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Xexyz
    Kings Knight (NES): A game that is not listed on the DP rarity guide (I would like to know what level of rarity it is!!!).
    King's Knight has always been in the database (doesn't look as if our section editor cares for it as much as you do though):
    http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/game.cmf?gameid=6452

PS great post!
    Doh! Thank you for pointing this out for me! I never thought to put an apostrophe in the word King's. It's not as bad he makes it out to be. Must have a thing against shmups...

P.S.- Not remembering who developed Ninja Five-O was getting on my nerves today, so I replayed through it on Normal Mode again. It was Hudson Soft.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

A few for the Xbox:

Deathrow: Ultimate Frisbee meets basketball, meets the WWE and a dirty mouth. A sports game at its' core, but combined with the ability to recruit new players and beat the living shit out of the other team if you don't feel like outscoring them makes this one a solid choice. Sadly, though reviews for this were mostly good (EGM voiced the lone negative opinion at the time, thanks in part to their knucklehead codes guy reviewing the title), sales were pretty rough and the chances of a sequel are about on par with a Michael Jackson comeback.

Phantom Crash: Think Custom Robo meets Gran Turismo meets a post-apocalyptic gladiator arena. Insanely customizable mechs, an awesome Japanese soundtrack and near infinite replayability make this one of my favorite Xbox games ever. Very fast and arcadey and you can tailor your mech to your tastes. Want a fast 'hit-n'run' mech? You can do it. Want a slow whale of a beast that can annhiate and enemy in three hits? You can do that too. Unfortunately, this one came out around the same time as the vastly overrated (and far inferior) MechAssault, so it was largely ignored.

One for the Dreamcast:

Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage: One of the best hack n' slash games ever made, based off a pretty good anime series to boot. Many complained about the large sword getting caught in narrow areas, but that's really part of the challenge (And plus, if the sword clipped through the walls in narrow spots, the same schmucks would complain about poor collision detection). Nice story and progression, though you'll replay several of the bosses and later areas as the difficulty ramps up a bit.

I have a lot more, I'll add some later.