Thread: 2D and 3D, why can’t both exist?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 2D and 3D, why can’t both exist?

What happened to simple games? It seems that lately games are either complicated and ridiculously time consuming OR their puzzle(ish) titles. Games like Contra, Double Dragon, Ninja Gaiden, Mike Tyson’s Punch Out, Kid Icarus and Super Mario 1,2,3. Or somewhat time consuming titles that take a while but not a lifetime like River City Ransom, Castlevania II, Mega Man and Metroid.

Sure, some of these titles have seen remakes or new titles in the line but most have missed the point. Many of not all of the remakes are “Enhanced” or “Improved”. Do some titles really need to drastically change? Games like Ninja Gaiden or Mega Man. Did these titles really need to go 3D? Sure, Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox is nifty but is it really Ninja Gaiden or just a new game with a name attached? The same goes for Metriod. The GameCube titles aren’t what Metroid was supposed to be. I’m not saying they’re garbage, I’m just saying they’re not Metroid.

Some things don’t need changing. Pizza is good and there’s nothing wrong with the good old pepperoni and cheese. Sure, improve on it, make some crazy specialty pies but keep the good old standby as well. The gaming industry for the most part has dumped the classics in favor of the next big thing. Why can’t there be both? How about a full-blown next-gen 2D Metroid with amazing animation, FMV scenes, amazing music everything that made Metroid and Super Metroid so great? You can bring out Metroid Prime as well, just give us both. I’ll take the super deluxe garlic roasted chicken and alfredo pizza AND the standby pepperoni and cheese. Hell, throw in a pitcher of Pepsi and an order of wings.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sure there are still a handful of 2D games for niche groups of gamers, but times have changed, and most casual gamers just base what game they buy based off of the graphics...

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To this I say "Hooray Nintendo"
    I thought at first that releasing old NES games on the GBA was a quick money-maker for them, but really, these games are still worth $10-20 dollars, just because they are fun to play. This way, younger kids who may be more inclined to own a GBA can experience some of the titles that made Nintendo the name in platformers. I have to say that I really enjoyed Viewtiful Joe too, and that game would be impossible in a 3d environment. There is a market for 2D games, it's just not "cool" so corporations can't put much money toward it.

Although, it's a tough call between Mario Bros. and Sonic the Hedgehog for my favorite platformer...

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

It's probably a laziness thing. If you model something once, you have it ready for any pose or movement needed. If you make a sprite...well, you get to make every frame.

Conversely I would assume making 2-d levels is massively easier than making 3-d ones.

It is definetly unfortunate though. Game industry has become far too much like hollywood, or fashion, constantly jumping to the next big name. Pretty crappy really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am also happy to see that alot of these "greatest hits" collections are coming out recently like mega man collection, sega smash hits, midway arcade classics, street fighter ann. collection, and soon sonic gems.

Gives the kids of today a chance to brush up on what makes the games today so enjoyable, or for people like us to remember what makes the games today so enjoyable.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I really wish they'd start making collection discs of series we are just now getting the Nth title in.

I would pay good money for a Megami Tensei collection with translated games. Oh man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What I don’t get is why they don’t make titles for new consoles. Compilations like the Mega Man Collection sell well as do new GBA 2D titles (Metroid and Castlevania come to mind). Again, why not make both? Nintendo fished out the GC Metroid titles, why not fish out a new 2D title as well? With titles like Super Metroid selling so well in the used market, I just can’t help but think there would be a market for an all-new 2D Metroid title on the GC. Again, I’m not saying they shouldn’t take it in new directions, they should make both.

I’m using Metroid as an example. There are also many more titles like this that should be made as well.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with you... I guess. As much as I love Super Mario 64, it doesn't beat the classic 2D sidescrollers from before.
    I think Nintendo might be realizing this with their release of 'New Super Mario Bros.' Thats sort of a hybrid of 2D and 3D.