Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Quest VIII

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dragon Quest VIII

Okay, previews are cropping up, November is looking like the month for a release, so I think it's time to get psyched. Unless, that is, this one has the pacing problems of the last one. I'd really like to replay DW7, but the first 15 hours were a killer, along with about 20 hours out of the last 75. Anybody played the import who could give me an idea how the pace is by comparison? Also, do we still have a job system, or have they just made the characters into single profession, fixed growth like in the first games?

Strawberry (Level 2) Kevin Listwan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am still not sure if I will pick this up yet. I love the NES games and I liked the stuff that wasn't released in the states. I played the translated ROMs.

Personnaly I just have a grudge against the Dragonball Z art style they are using.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, dosen't go away"

Phillip K. Dick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Listwan
    Personnaly I just have a grudge against the Dragonball Z art style they are using.
    isnt that one of the main appeals of the game in japan? the same artist that created dbz also did the art for the dragon quest games

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    isnt that one of the main appeals of the game in japan? the same artist that created dbz also did the art for the dragon quest games
    Yeah, Akira Toriyama's always done the character artwork for the Dragon Quest titles, as well as DBZ and being a member of the Chrono Trigger "Dream Team".
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    As much as I despize DBZ it's kinda hard to hate Dragon Quest when it's been using the same graphical style since the begining. And it's not as if the DQ games look anywhere near as craptastic as the DBZ ones. I find it's a "flaw" easily overlooked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, if you want to get all the news about Dragon Quest VIII, there's a new fanpimp site out there! DQ kicks ass, so I'd encourage all of you to join for application to the new Dragon Quest VIII fan site HERE

Here's the official US TRAILER!

AAAAAND the official Squeenix WEBSITE which has the DQ links...not sure if there's more besides the trailer yet tho!

Good stuff no? I'll be buying it as soon as it comes out!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

kindof offtopic, but squeenix is the best name ever

Strawberry (Level 2) Kevin Listwan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, Akira Toriyama's always done the character artwork for the Dragon Quest titles, as well as DBZ and being a member of the Chrono Trigger "Dream Team".
    Really? All the ones I have played the style does not look like DBZ stuff. Perhaps that is just due to graphical limitations.

I still like the DQ series alot though.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, dosen't go away"

Phillip K. Dick

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really? All the ones I have played the style does not look like DBZ stuff. Perhaps that is just due to graphical limitations.

Graphical limitations, mostly. Look at the original box art for DQ3, no question who it came from. It's hard to easily see any in-game until DW4, but if you're really looking, you can see some of his designs as early as DW2.

EDIT: Lots of in-game monster pics and box art at http://www.woodus.com/den/ , if anybody wants to take a look.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, Toryama has been doing the Dragon Quest series since day 1. YOu can REALLY see it if you know his artwork well, even in the character designs for the US Dragon Warrior 1.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oddly, my biggest hangup with the gameplay of the DQ series is that it seemed like the arbitrary level grind of DBZ show. "I can beat this boss if I can get my Mage Sayian power level to 32!" The artwork of DQ has always been something I liked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I *MUST* have this game I have shivers ("J'ai des frissons") every time I hear this music, it's so beautiful ! It's the first time I see it these graphics in motion (I saw many screenshots before) and it seems very good.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Look at the DQ boxart and artwork since DQ 1 and you'll easily be able to tell its Toriyama.

Couple weeks ago during the Simon Road Tour at my mall they had a Square-Enix booth where I grabbed a few DQVIII stickers they were giving out to promote the game.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slimedog
    Oddly, my biggest hangup with the gameplay of the DQ series is that it seemed like the arbitrary level grind of DBZ show. "I can beat this boss if I can get my Mage Sayian power level to 32!"
    I get the impression you either never played DW7, or at least never got to the Hellcloud, aka. the "No amount of levelling can keep this guy from whipping my ass 6 times in a row before I luck out and manage to kill the bastard" Hellcloud.

And, with numbers 6&7, they instituted that system where being too many levels above the monsters you fight keeps you from gaining job experience. That helps offset that "levelling to offset poor strategy" crutch in many console RPGs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had Dragon Warrior 1 as a kid, but going back to play it proved that it didn't age well...to me it is way too slow of a game. I never really wanted to pick up any of the other ones, due to my assumption that they were the same as the 1st. But when DW7 came out I heard enough good things to be interested again. Of course at the time I was busy playing other things so I decided to wait and check it out later.

Fast forward to about a month ago. I traded for a copy of DW7 and started playing immediately. Last week I finally finished it, with about 90 hours of gameplay....the most I've ever put into an RPG. Some parts were a little slow and I had to level up a ton, but thankfully it never felt like too much of a chore due to the speed of the battle system and the leveling up of classes. So now I'm kinda into DW and am interested in getting the new one.

I saw a video of it and it looks nice. I like the cel shaded look and as others have said it goes along nicely with the series (past artwork). Hopefully the gameplay isn't too much different than 7.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I like the Dragon Warrior series because it is the last "real" (to me, anyway) RPG series out there. I love leveling up, going to the next town, solving the next crisis, then doing it all over again. Needless to say, I LOVED DW 7

Cantwaitcantwaitcantwaitfor8!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just started replaying Dragon Warrior VII the other night... it's a looooooong game but I want to get into the RPG mood again for when VIII comes around...
    - MarkMan
    www.SDTEKKEN.com - SAN DIEGO TEKKEN
    www.tekkenzaibatsu.com - Tekken Zaibatsu

Idle

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I am sooo definately getting this for my birthday. Or prehaps a month sooner if they have any really nifty preoreder items.

(:

Is it really going to be Dragon Quest VIII though? I heard they were dropping the Warrior naming convention. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha, I had a good laugh at that one.

Anyways, I got about 35 hours into DW7 in the two weeks that I spent at home (my younger brother has the game). I certainly would get a playstation just for that game. It is a bit long, though, and I got hung up at a place where my levels were obviously too low (I was at the flooded palace, and I would repeatedly die... maybe my choice of jobs were wrong).

I wish that DW8 would be for gamecube.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    I am sooo definitely getting this for my birthday. Or prehaps a month sooner if they have any really nifty preoreder items.

(:

Is it really going to be Dragon Quest VIII though? I heard they were dropping the Warrior naming convention. :/
    99% sure it's Dragon Quest from now on. I don't really know why they would change it back at this point, but I'm not really sure why they changed it in the first place...