Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Who has the largest collection here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

6,000 plus unique console games here. Definately not the largest by far. On a very limited budget now raising a family, I think I have done okay. Almost my entire collection has been in the wild, not off of ebay.

I definately did not by many of my games at full price lol
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

My collection is at almost 1,000 so it is quite small in comparison to many people here. Still, it is growing and I've started (mostly) collecting only games that I intend to play.

Insert Coin (Level 0) GreatBazunka's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

its not huge but im pretty proud of it and it is growing quickly. I have to admit that collections that have all the different systems are cool but I have my sights set a bit more exact. I am going for all things Nintendo starting with NES. Check it out in my sig.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is the second thread like this.

Somebody said something 2 years ago about that guy named videogames, but Joe used to have pics of his basement posted (no clue if those pics are still around) and he has 30,000+

Me, I just hit 1000 according to IGN, so it is back to going for some deals and mini-collections.

I say if you find a collection not available on eBay, it is quite impressive.

Something that eBay doesn't have is always cool to look at.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SegaAges: That thread from two years ago is this same thread. Someone just bumped it.

I think the 30,000 games Joe has are just in the basement of his store inventory. I think his home collection is completely different and might be about half of that but at that point, what do you count as part of your collection and part of a business? That's where it gets weird because GameStop owns more games than anyone, obviously, but think of this as well, if you add up complete collections of every single system released in the USA for console systems (not PC) then it's pretty difficult to come up with more than 15,000 different games.

Obviously Joe is the only one that knows how many games he has, but I was under the impression he had around 30,000+ at/for his business, and 15,000+ at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    SegaAges: That thread from two years ago is this same thread. Someone just bumped it.
    Oops, looks like that was me pretty embarrassing, sorry guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman Jr. View Post
    Meh... its not THAT hard. I'm 19, only been collecting for a year, and I've got 1100. If anything, I think its easier. No rent, no buying food, no buying clothes. All my income goes to video games.
    Can you have a job at 14? And having a job at 16 isn't the most common thing around :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I'm pretty strict on what I would classify as a "game". For example, I would really consider Frog Bog to be more of a frog-type simulator. Other examples include Burgertime, a food tutorial; Super Mario Bros., a running and jumping exercise; Dragonfire, a duck and cover drill; and Halo 2, a checkbook and budget utility. So technically I've only got about three games.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    Iron Draggon, I'm not sure I'd want to tell anyone I bought everything brand new for $50 at the store. That's almost ludicrous in this day and age because if you planned on opening/playing them anyway, you might as well have bought them online or elsewhere with all the cheaper deals there are these days...that's almost wasteful because if you call your $75,000 an "investment", you'll never get your money back on them...

I understand wanting to play games when they come out and stuff, but if I ever go to the store and buy things, it's cheaper, $19.99 and under new games that have way less of a chance to hit rock bottom in value...
    Very true. I collect new games for modern systems as well, but with very few exceptions, just about every game hits $20 and often $15 or even $10 within a year or so of release. I can't see spending $50-$60 for new games anymore unless it's something I absolutely know won't be around in a year or I have to play immediately which works out to maybe 2-3 games every year.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raptor94k
    PSN
    raptor94k

I guess this was a couple of years ago...but DreamTR did you ever complete those collections you had only a couple of games left to go on? And ever take any pics of your collection?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

raptor, yeah, I put some in the Complete Game Boy/Game Boy Color/Game Boy Advance thread I started. Some of those are old pics, but you get the idea. It really is just shelves of games, I'm more of the library person but you can't visibly see every game on those shelves because I have fit as many as possible in there.

As far as completing stuff, I think everything that is up to date complete is in my signature. The ones I am trying to complete now are Xbox and GameCube, and I'm pretty close on those, and I'm trying to stay at least 70% up to date on Xbox 360, DS, and Wii, but it's hard to find cheaper decent condition newer titles these days.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raptor94k
    PSN
    raptor94k

DreamTR, since we are on the topic of completing system collections...how do you go about getting boxes and manuals? Like you've posted elsewhere finding the games is easy if you have the money to buy them...but boxes and manuals are slightly harder. Do you often have to rebuy another copy of the game?

And what do you do with all the duplicates you accumulate?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Owning the most video games is like being the prettiest waitress at Denny's.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raptor94k View Post
    DreamTR, since we are on the topic of completing system collections...how do you go about getting boxes and manuals? Like you've posted elsewhere finding the games is easy if you have the money to buy them...but boxes and manuals are slightly harder. Do you often have to rebuy another copy of the game?

And what do you do with all the duplicates you accumulate?
    I would have to rebuy if needed, yes. I don't have many duplicates of anything from those collecting days, I would just sell the dupes on eBay mostly.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only have about 1,500 retail and 500+ betas, but i have over a hundred xbox1 consoles... Size has to count for something, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    I only have about 1,500 retail and 500+ betas, but i have over a hundred xbox1 consoles... Size has to count for something, right?

Hell, weight alone has to count for something.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have close to 7,000 no where near being the max consider it middle of the road 250 are loose (mainly gameboy and nes games). It's pain in the ass trying to find the manuals and boxes for the loose ones. Hate to do the dupe thing to complete games but I guess I have to go that route. Any other ways around it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by All Things Sega View Post
    Have close to 7,000 no where near being the max consider it middle of the road 250 are loose (mainly gameboy and nes games). It's pain in the ass trying to find the manuals and boxes for the loose ones. Hate to do the dupe thing to complete games but I guess I have to go that route. Any other ways around it?
    Nope, not really. For me, the ultimate quest completing my N64 and Genesis has been a fun time, but at some point you have to buy dupes to complete CIB sets. I am like down to 9 manuals for Genesis and like 7 for the N64 for CIB sets. The ONLY way around this is to buy a CIB set outright....and fork down some serious cash. To me, that is not an option and personally, doesnt seem as fun. My genesis quest started almost 14 years ago, and sadly I have had to resort to buying dupes for last 50 or so purchases. Lucky for me, they arent too expensive yet.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    I would say that 1000 old rentals from a video store are worth about as much as 1000 turds on your front lawn... not impressive at all, no matter how many video stores you bought out to reach your higher numbers
    Seeing that video stores typically rented high-priced SNES RPG's, NES games that commonly go for $10 or more, N64 titles (i.e. Mario) that now sell for inflated prices on Ebay and uncommon PS1 titles, I guess the price of turd has gone up just like everything else.

My point is that the general assumption of "ex-rentals" is that they are always in poor condition or nothing but sports games. That isn't always true.

Is a guy who buys a bunch of "old rentals" (which I also do) that much different than the guy who cleans out the bin of 16-bit games at Game Crazy, sits up all night sniping huge lots on Ebay or buys large "lots" of games locally on Craigslist?
    Last edited by bangtango; 09-17-2008 at 09:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I agree with what you said bangtango. Alot of my Genesis games came from ex rentals, and were in pretty good shape. The ma and pa video stores of the past had some of the best stuff.