Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game re-issues? Your thoughts please.

Cherry (Level 1) The_4th_Survivor's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Game re-issues? Your thoughts please.

From my experience with 're-prints' or 're-issues' of games (whatever you would call them), it all depends on the manufacturer as to whether or not the re-issued game title will have a different look from their original release version.

On one hand, you have the 'Platinum Hits' (XBox), 'Greatest Hits' (PS1, PS2) and 'Player's Choice' (GCN) re-issues, which are obviously different from the original release version titles, due to the fact that the cover insert, plastic storage case and game discs themselves are most likely to have a different color to them or simply have some sort of moniker (such as the Player's Choice yellow bar) emblazoned on the top of the cover insert. In other words, it's very easy to distinguish a re-issued game compared to it's original release, thanks to the package and game disc re-decos.

On the other hand, you have companies and manufacturers that re-issue games WITHOUT the obvious 'Player's Choice/Greatest Hits/Platinum Hits' moniker anywhere on the package. The only real indicator of the game being re-issued is usually the fact that 1) the title that was sold out or hasn't been sold for months at a retail chain store (places like EB Games, Target, Wal Mart, Etc.) finally reappears on the shelves and 2), the 'rare/out of print' titles are now being sold for less than what they were previously retailing for. That usually ends up with a price like, say, a game that was originally $49.99 on it's release date is now selling for $29.99 or $19.99.

These re-issued games sometimes do not have any indicators aside from the above mentioned instances in availability and pricing. The game discs and cover inserts themselves are the exact same as the original release version, just without the higher retail price.

Some games that come to mind in terms of being re-issued (usually for the demand they garnered to get re-issued in the first place) are the following:

AirForce Delta Storm (Konami, XBox)

Resident Evil 2 (Capcom, GameCube)

Resident Evil 3 (Capcom, GameCube)

Another interesting thing I discovered was that games like Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Disgaea, Digital Devil Saga, and Rez are supposedly getting re-issues.

Judging that these games are not the 'Platinum Hits' type of games (meaning that they probably didn't sell as many copies as say, Metroid Prime, Soul Calibur II, etc.), I have a feeling that the re-issued copies will look just like the original release versions.

I still remember seeing Xenogears retail for $39.99 at EB Games for the longest time, all the way up until about Spring 2003.

What does everyone else think about game re-issues in general?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't understand your reason for posting this, but anytime a game is rereleased it's fine with me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am glad they reissue games especilaly ones that i may have not heard about or never got a chance to get, so it's all good.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Game re-issues? Your thoughts please.

Quote Originally Posted by The_4th_Survivor
    Another interesting thing I discovered was that games like Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Disgaea, Digital Devil Saga, and Rez are supposedly getting re-issues.
    Yeah, I've heard that about the Atlus games but Rez isn't getting a re-release. People have been saying that for 2 years now but there hasn't been one. Same goes for Suikoden II.

Didn't Disgea already get a re-release last year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If its identical in every way, I could care less about re-issues. However, if the label on the outside of the box (or disc, or whatever) said "Players Choice" on it, I won't buy it. I'd much rather find a used origional copy somewhere than buy one new that has that. Why? I'm not quite sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love reissues. Even thought I'd never touch one of those ugly Greatest Hits boxes, it keeps the prices down on otherwise costly games. Even if I don't buy the GH title, I can still find the original for the same price. The only one that bugs me is VF4: Evolution. I'm going to have to make my self a new insert for that one because I really don't want to have one ugly red lable in my nice uniform shelf.

Speaking of which, whats the deal on the DBZ GT: Final Bout reissue. I found a guy at the flea market still selling the original version for $150 even though its reissue can be had for $10. Is he smoking something or is there some other difference, aside from the cover art and I would assume Atari being in the copyright screen, to this one?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slimedog
    I love reissues. Even thought I'd never touch one of those ugly Greatest Hits boxes, it keeps the prices down on otherwise costly games. Even if I don't buy the GH title, I can still find the original for the same price. The only one that bugs me is VF4: Evolution. I'm going to have to make my self a new insert for that one because I really don't want to have one ugly red lable in my nice uniform shelf.

Speaking of which, whats the deal on the DBZ GT: Final Bout reissue. I found a guy at the flea market still selling the original version for $150 even though its reissue can be had for $10. Is he smoking something or is there some other difference, aside from the cover art and I would assume Atari being in the copyright screen, to this one?
    The insert cover, manual and the game cd art are different. Collectors prefer the 1st print.

Basically the reprint, although it doesnt have green stripes are treated as 'greatest hits'.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Game re-issues? Your thoughts please.

Quote Originally Posted by The_4th_Survivor
    What does everyone else think about game re-issues in general?
    I think they keep brands alive in the public eye and generate moderate profits for their publishers.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

some times reisues like that fix game problems (i.e. GranTurismo 2)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally do not like reissues. To me they kill the collectability of the game. Sometimes the thing that makes a game special is its scareness combined with the fact that it was an overlooked game.

I will never forget the look on my face when I went in a store and seen final fantasy anthology\chronicles and xenogears greatest hits. Alot of players\collectors got burned on that one. Talk about disgusted.

Do baseball card do reissues like Micheal Jordan rookie card?

I understand the need to squeeze a buck but some games are special and deserve to be left in there original state and run.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i like re-issues - they help keep customers happy

but i refuse to buy them - i buy only original release games

i don't like the "hits" packageing

only time ill buy a game like that is for an old system like genesis
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slimedog

easy solution, keep the greatest hits games separate from regular titles. i generally do this with all of my systems, for instance, with dreamcast, i keep the white spine games together and the black spine games together. it looks much nicer that way.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I buy to play, not collect and I rarely pay fully price. So yeah, I'm 100% in favor of reissues.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I agree with Capt. Wrong. I never could understand why companies don't just re-release games - even old ones - when they find out that the price goes way up on eBay. Why hasn't Atlus reprinted some of its games? No clue. Supply and demand is broken in the game industry.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the chance to get a missed game at a lower price. The packaging isn't really a great issue with me.....but if there is a choice between the silver Xbox case or the original green, then I'll naturally take the green one.

Case in point, I actually never did get around to buying SSX Tricky. I was able to buy it new as a Platinum for a very low price last night.

Condition of the disc/cart, instructions and outer case is more important than what edition it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    I buy to play, not collect and I rarely pay fully price. So yeah, I'm 100% in favor of reissues.
    I agree. If you collect games (especially new games) for investment value you need to find a new hobby.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I play games as well as collect. I collect to be able to play the games when I want to. I just think reissues kill the thrill of the hunt for rare games as well as decrease the vaule of the game. When games are released people have ample time to pick up the game via used trade or whatever.

Gitaroo man Valkrye Profile sat on shelves for a long time at low prices before it became a rare find. Rez too. Question would Panzer Dragoon Saga be a sought after title if it had been reissued.
    How about suikoden 2.

I know there are people that price gouge on ebay but i'm talking about getting a rare game at a steal. Nothing beats finding that hard to find title. The dp rarity guide would be tossed out the window.

Companies do reissue Air force delta storm/puzzle fighter/dbz final bout come to mind. Whether you buy to play or collect you got to admit nothing beats getting a rare game at bargian basement prices.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reissues are fine with me Greatest hits etc I rarely pay full price for a game unless its a new Silent Hill ,Gran Turismo or Tekken

I luv the Greatest Hits line for the simple fact that I can pick up (Mostly) Great games NEW for a fraction of the price of the original.

Sure the Green labels on the PSone games look guady but it really doesnt bother me but I understand the want or need to collect original prints if you are a collector its just more economical for me to pick up a greatest hits version if thats what is cheaper.

In fact the only greatest hits games that I have are:

Metal Gear Solid GH

Resident Evil directors cut GH

and Tekken Tag Tournament GH

I picked up all these games for less than $10 a piece so it was worth every penny

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto
    I personally do not like reissues. To me they kill the collectability of the game. Sometimes the thing that makes a game special is its scareness combined with the fact that it was an overlooked game.

I will never forget the look on my face when I went in a store and seen final fantasy anthology\chronicles and xenogears greatest hits. Alot of players\collectors got burned on that one. Talk about disgusted.

Do baseball card do reissues like Micheal Jordan rookie card?

I understand the need to squeeze a buck but some games are special and deserve to be left in there original state and run.
    Yes, but video game producers generally aren't bothered about people who 'collect' gaming products, or their collectability. They care about profits, and supplying to meet demand. The primary purpose of buying games is to actually play them, not leave them on a shelf.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto
    Companies do reissue Air force delta storm/puzzle fighter/dbz final bout come to mind. Whether you buy to play or collect you got to admit nothing beats getting a rare game at bargian basement prices.
    Was the fresh supply of Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PlayStation NTSC U/C) actually a reissue? I had heard from a source of unknown reliability that it was new-old stock from the deeps of some Capcom warehouse rather than a reissue. And when the second burst of them appeared, I don't remember seeing any of them at retail outlets--I got my second copy online. Maybe I just wasn't looking?

Also, when manufacturers reissue a title without defacing it with some bright fuschia "Greatest Hits" bullshit, is there always some way to differentiate the original from the reissue? Are some reissues identical to the original?
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY