Thread: What's the indicator, lower-left, in Dreamcast Centipede?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What's the indicator, lower-left, in Dreamcast Centipede?

Just after getting home from work this evening, I went into the basement (my office/gameroom/refuge) to fax some paperwork to somebody. While waiting for the fax to send, my son Nate came down and hung out with me.

He pulls Centipede out of my Dreamcast collection rack and asks if we can play it. Now, the game was still in it's shrinkwrap; I've never played it before tonight. (Sadly, I have a lot of games like that.)

So we agree that after his bath, assuming he's good and there's time, we can play games before he goes to sleep.

Now, firstly, he was surprisingly good at the game considering his age and lack of experience. Secondly, we played the 'Adventure' mode, which I found somewhat charming. I never really liked Centipede all that much to begin with, and pretty much always assume modern remakes of classic games will be lousy. I only played briefly, but the adventure mode Centipede seemed pretty good.

In the lower-left corner of the screen, though, was an indicator I didn't figure out. I quickly skimmed through the instrucitons and didn't see it explained there either, though I could have missed it.

The inidicator looks a little like a centipede-shaped progress gauge, or health meter, or something like that. And somewhere on Mission 2, after I trigger something, a bunch of scattered red 'somethings' appear with it, along the bottom of the screen.

Anybody ever play Dreamcast Centipede and know what I'm talking about?
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't remember what colors represent what, but the dots are the centipede segments, the other bugs, and the wee people you should be saving (if any).

And maybe some more, been a while sicne I played it.

Alex Kidd
    The Weed Of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit You Old Hag!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're describing the radar, on the bottom-right. I'm talking about something on the bottom-left of the screen.

But thanks for trying.

Nobody here knows what I'm talking about? Have none of you played this game yet ?

Hell, I've owed DP screenshots for a couple of years now. If Centipede isn't online yet, I'll grab shots of it tonight and send them to him. I'll mark one and post it so you guys know what I'm talking about.

-- Steve
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, it's taken an all-nighter, including freeing up nearly 1Gb of space on my drive, installing WinXP SP2, and then having problems with the forum search (to try and get info re: uploading screenshots), but finally, now, at 5:15am, I have a screenshot, with notation, to show what I'm talking about.

My Resume
    My Blog

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mmmmmmm, don't ever remember seeing that before. I will have to check it out when I get home this afternoon.
    Systems owned: 2600, 5200, Lynx, Jaguar w/CD, Commodore 64, NES, SNES, N64 w/DrV64, Gamecube, GB, GBA SP, Game.com, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Turbo Grafx 16, Game Gear, Master System, Genesis w/32X and CD, JVC X'Eye, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

<bump>
    for folks returning from CGE.
    My Resume
    My Blog

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe stupid question, but have you checked the manual? Usualy things on the screen are described there.