Thread: Need advice on an Astrocade...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need advice on an Astrocade...

Is it worth it? I have a friend who offered me one the other day. I know absolutely nothing about it. What would be a good price for the system and any game recommendations for it?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, I've been wanting an Astrocade lately.

I've never played one, so I can't tell you if it's worth it for gameplay--I like it because I'm atracted to obscure systems and systems with a unique aesthetic appearance. Something about that keypad in front is too cool to resist.

I've lost several ebay auction for Astrocades. I think they usually end up going for $45-$90, depending on how many games came with it (I cap out around $35.)

If I had a friend offering me one, I'd definitely be interested. I'm a cheap SOB, though, so while I would want to give him a good deal, I would also be looking for friend prices.

Assuming it's just collecting dust in his house and he just wants to be rid of it, I'd offer $20 for the system (assuming it works and is in decent shape) and about $2 a game. Now that's proabably on the low side, but I think it's fair. If you want to offer closer to market value, you're proabably talking about $35-$40 for the system and $5 per game.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Astrocade is a fun system with some unique titles. I would recommend getting one but be warned that a very high percentage of these do not work after all of these years. If you get a working one do not leave it on the carpet while you play or you will likely have it break.

The Astrocade prices fluctuate quite a bit. Some have sold cheap ($30-$40) and some have sold for a lot at times ($300-$500). Typically you can expect to get one loose with some games for $40-$80 plus shipping. A boxed one with styrofoam would sell for a lot more. I probably have been as active as anyone in buying and selling Astrocade items on eBay. Most titles can be bought for $2-$20 depending on condition and rarity. Some of the third party titles are very rare and will sell for a lot more.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if he is gonna throw in any games with it but he just informed me that he has 3 Astrocades! I would assume the Astrocade hooks up to the tv just like any other console of the time...unless, does anyone know if it has proprietary parts, like rf switch, etc.?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

It's a cool system. Cool like "Atari 2600 cool". So If you don't think Atari 2600 is cool then best move along to the next impulse buy.

I would recommend reading and viewing some screen shots from our Astrocade section of the online guide:
    http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/listing.cmf?system=6

Most of the games are solid if not overly simplistic. One of my favorite games of all time is on this system,The Incredible Wizard. It's also got some games built in, Gunfight never gets old! The system also supports FOUR players and the controls, while a little weird (they're shaped like the handle of a gun with a twisty knob on the top) are quite comfortable and responsive.

So like I said: if you dig the Atari 2600 era of gaming, you can't go wrong here.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like a sweet system. My friend did mention a game called Gunfight...I hope he sells the system to me for a reasonable price. I guess I'll dig this, as I greatly enjoy the 2600. Thanks for all the recommendations and info.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Re: Need advice on an Astrocade...

Quote Originally Posted by cowmando6
    Is it worth it? I have a friend who offered me one the other day. I know absolutely nothing about it. What would be a good price for the system and any game recommendations for it?
    How much is your friend charging you, or did he tell you to make an offer? Is it mint? Boxed? I just won one mint in box with several boxed (some unopened!) games for $142.50. Very nice classic system, BTW. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8205871204

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last year I brokered a deal with someone on this board for an Astrocade still sealed in the original unopened outer shipping box. My friend was selling it and wanted to get a fair price. I think it ended up going for over $600 plus shipping. It's been a while so I can't recall exactly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

All I gotta say, if you get an Astrocade...

BE SURE TO PLACE IT ON A FLAT SURFACE

no carpet, table cloths, etc. Play it short bursts.

When I ended up getting mine, I read that they have a history of overheating and that it was even a sort of addendum to the original box packages. I brought mine to the OKGE and after about 3 hours, it died on the table :/ I got lucky and picked up a replacement for $20, but as there were not many made (~150,000) we need to keep as many around as possible

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, three of 'em? How'd that happen? Is he a collector too?

If he is, then he must certainly know the value of the Astrocade. Still, being a friend he'll hopefully offer it to you at a fair price. Ask him what he wants for it. Without ebay shipping costs, I'd be willing to go as high as $50 (but then I've wanted one for awhile, so maybe it's not worth it to you at that.)

Also know that there are a few variations out there. The white version is more rare, but personally I prefer the original wood grain model.

Joe is right about there being a game built into the system, so if your friend doesn't have any games you'll still be able to play it.

Thanks for everyone who brought up the carpet/overheating tendencies. This is high on my list of systems to get and I'll probably have to breakdown and pay a good chunk of cash--and then I would have played it on the carpet.

BTW, here's some info:
    http://www.classicgaming.com/gamingmuseum/bally.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Solar Conqueror, Cosmic Raiders and Incredible Wizard are pretty kick ass.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My friend definitely isn't a collector, I know that for sure. I'll have to wait to get back in touch with him about it, since he has already gone back to college :/ I am really looking forward to getting my hands on one of these babies though.