39 62.90%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FFIII Vs. FFVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    FFV simply sucked, and Square did us a favor not releasing it here.
    Wha?! I believe a few years ago the president of Square said it was his favorite game in the series! (Don't take my word for it, though.)

I for one find it useful to use the original Japanese games to keep them in perspective relative to the PSX games.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

It's Final Fantasy III, as I don't read or speak Japanese. I honestly can't stand hearing people call it FF VI.

Them: I LOVE FF VI!
    Me: Do you read Japanese?
    Them: No...
    Me: Then you've played FF III.
    Them: But it's VI in Japan...
    Me: Do you call every game by its Japanese title if the two names are different?
    Them: No...
    Me: Then why do it here?

It just frusterated the hell out of me, to be perfectly blunt.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey chrisbid! I think my favorite thing about your latest post is how you draw attention away from your own mistakes by pointing out the made-up shortcomings of others! Or maybe it's the way you slide little passive agressive insults in to every reply! I just can't decide, they're both such endearing practices! Good job, buddy! You should have a career in politics any day!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

but unlike most politicians, when i see something, i take it at face value. i have an SNES cart with a red label that says Final Fantasy II, and a cart with a black label that says Final Fantasy III. I dont call Pac Man, Puck Man, and im not going to change the name of the two FF games based off of some inferiority complex with the japanese.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, we've got your opinion now. You're a purist. You stick to what you know and don't like to change it. I think we all understand that. Thank you for your contributions to the thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I definitly Prefer calling it Final Fantasy III because that's what i've used for so long, but it's all good

but it also depends on who i am talking to about the games.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

I pronounce it "final fantasy six".

When I say "final fantasy three" I'm referring to the unreleased NES game.

Reading Japanese really has nothing to do with it. It's a way for me to clearly distinguish between the six numbered Final Fantasy games that were released, ON THIS PLANET, before "final fantasy seven". If the person says,"huh", I say, "Oh, it was also called final fantasy III when it came out in the US on the SNES." And then I move on to actually talk about the game, or listen to what the other person says about the game.

The point of having a conversation about a game is really to share your experience and to hear someone else's. If the conversation gets started and then immediately stalls on the nitpicking point about what the game should be called when both parties know exactly which game is being spoken of, then someone is being an asshole. Check to see if it's you!

It's about communicating clearly. Not starting an argument.

I also say "Clock Tower on the Super Nintendo, the one only released in Japan" to distinguish it from the game with the same name on the PSX. Very few people out in the retail world have a frackin' clue as to what I'm talking about.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Yes, I say "Final Fantasy IV" and "Final Fantasy VI" because I have some fetish with Japanese culture. I wish my penis were smaller, I wish my hair was straight and black, I wish my eyes were slanted and I REALLY wish I were a math genius. Oh, just for effect I say "so solly!" all the time.

Man, I just don't know where to start. Well, lets work backwards.

RetroYoungen, you're a tool. If I were to say "I LOVE FF II," the first thing out of your mouth would be, "which one?" Instead, the fictitious person in your douchebag scenario clarifies the game for which he holds such ridiculous feelings, and you berate him for it. You should stop making up scenarios like that, they suck.

If I were speaking of FF II proper, as in FINAL FANTASY TWO, THE SECOND GAME IN THE SERIES, what would you say? What would you want that I call that title? Or FF III proper, the one that has yet to see a stateside release? What are these, simply fictitous games that NO ONE THAT ISN'T A JAP IN TRAINING HAS EVER HEARD OF?!

DAMN YOU ASSHOLES FOR CLARIFYING WHAT YOU'RE SPEAKING OF BY USING THE PROPER SUFFIXES FOR EACH TITLE IN THE SERIES! DAMN YOUS ALL TO HELL!!

Now, you go on ahead and pop in your copy of Final Fantasy Anthology, and let me know what the title screen says for the game that was released on the Super Nintendo in the states in the early ninties. I'll let you get back to me, because this is going to prove quite the difficult task for you to get take the stick out of your ass AND remove your foot from your mouth before mustering the courage to have some sort of witty scenario to reply with. A witty scenario that will most definitely suck, and will involve douchebaggery.

chrisbid, I have a game for Playstaiton that contains the titles Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI. I have another game on Playstation that contains Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV. I use those titles for all 4 of those games BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THEY'RE TITLED.

And why wouldn't I say FFIVj and FFVIj? Because I'm not anywhere as large of a dumbass as you are. When someone says FFIV or FFVI, you know what game they're talking about. There's no confusion, so there's absolutely no reason to clarify that you're speaking of the japanese version, to which there is no difference from the re-released Plasytation versions we recieved in the late nintes.

So to everyone that thinks they're hardcore because you say II and III and think that VII was the worst game ever and anyone who has actually played II and III proper and refers to the game "Final Fantasy IV" as "Final Fantasy IV" and refers to the game "Final Fantasy VI" as "Final Fantasy VI" is a HARDCORE JAPANESE ANIME "lamer," go fornicate yourself with a tire iron. You suck.

EDIT: I know you're all already hard at work on your theatric retorts, but don't take it seriously. I'm bored.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    RetroYoungen, you're a tool. If I were to say "I LOVE FF II," the first thing out of your mouth would be, "which one?" Instead, the fictitious person in your douchebag scenario clarifies the game for which he holds such ridiculous feelings, and you berate him for it. You should stop making up scenarios like that, they suck.
    Being annoyed by people saying things like "I LOVE FF VI" makes me a tool? I just don't like it when people say that, it's annoying in my opinion. No, I wouldn't ask if you said that you liked FF II, unless I thought you were a guy who played imports (or downloaded translated ROMs, and I have a few friends who do; so with them, I ask). And I've come across a few people who were the example I gave, so I felt it a legitimate one to give (and with them, I know they didn't know much about gaming, and I wasn't trying to be outright rude, but it rubs me the wrong way).

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Wow Hezeus. I certainly understand your point, but were the personal insults really neccesary? When you lace a post with that kind of stuff, you really detract from the point you were trying to make.

I wouldn't say that I really call them one thing or another. Since I was around when the titles came out for SNES, I guess I would generally refer to those titles as FF II and FF III. I would imagine that if Iwere speaking to a FF aficionado, I would instead say "FF VI". I guess I call then FF II and FF III by those names because that's what I remember them as.

I play a lot of SMB, but I dont call the Lost Levels "Super Mario Bros 2" and I don't call SMB 2 "Super Mario Bros USA". Not exactly the same situation, but close. I just don't see why this is a situation which needs a heated argument. It's just a wierd situation by it's very nature. Because of the way it is, you can't really say "Final Fantasy II" without there being some confusion as to what title is being discussed.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

When the game orignaly came out, I naturaly asumed it was the direct sequal to FF2. Never knowing that both it and 2 were not the same, I just called them 2 and 3. Now, I perfer to call em what they are. That topic almost threw me off though as I could a sword this was a debate over which was better, 8 or 9. Which would have made it an evil one as I hated both and was more then happy when I finished them.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unlike Square, I know how to count.

Between going from 3 to 7, and naming one of their games "X-2", I really don't know what to do with these guys.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by RetroYoungen
    Being annoyed by people saying things like "I LOVE FF VI" makes me a tool?
    Pretty much. Some people have never played the SNES game, or even owned an SNES. With the younger crowd (now nearing 18) I'd be willing to bet their first experience with the game was as FFVI on FF Anthology. It has absolutely nothing to do with speaking japanese.

If anything, FFIII is the only remaining title that requires knowledge of the language or a translation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Well, that's your opinion, and of course you're entitled to it, as am I entitled to mine. It is the Internet after all. All I was saying was that I personally got annoyed by people calling it FF IV or VI instead of II and III. If that makes me a tool, then whatever. It's not worth fighting or insulting over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

I never even noticed an entire argument going on untill, basicly right after I made my post. What does it matter what they call it? What does it matter which version they first played? Damn it to hell, stop bitching, stop whining, and get back to the important stuff. Playing games and enjoying them. If I call it Final Fantasy 6, what does it matter if it originaly came out over here as Final Fantasy 3? It wouldnt. Seriously, get a grip.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Generally speaking I'd say the hardcore Final Fantasy fans all call it 6, since that's the proper title (and the one it's been given on all releases except US SNES). I know I do.
    Web: www.OHHLA.com, www.RapReviews.com, www.AngryMarks.com
    Forums: www.AngryMarks.com/forums
    Turunga Leela on Info-tari: "Go consummate yourself!!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroYoungen
    Being annoyed by people saying things like "I LOVE FF VI" makes me a tool?
    Pretty much. Some people have never played the SNES game, or even owned an SNES. With the younger crowd (now nearing 18) I'd be willing to bet their first experience with the game was as FFVI on FF Anthology. It has absolutely nothing to do with speaking japanese.

If anything, FFIII is the only remaining title that requires knowledge of the language or a translation.
    Wow hezeuschrist, at age 17 you have a lot of bottled up anger...I suggest prozac to balance your personality then follow up with a bit of benadryl and cough syrup to help you sleep. By the way, when Final Fantasy 3 came out you were FIVE YEARS OLD! So that does explain the lack of nostalgia for the name...which is fine that's what this thread intended to find out.

ON TOPIC without flames...sorry. I say 3, I bought the game the day it came out with my own money ($79.99 + tax) and have kept my most maxed out levels save on the same cartridge for the pat 11 years. So it is familiarity with the name FF3 and that is why it will always call it that.

I remember calling Square and Nintendo constantly asking when "Final Fantasy Extreme" (the working name for FF5) was finally coming...alas nothing.