Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's all this I hear about Nintendo Forgetting it's Fans?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What's all this I hear about Nintendo Forgetting it's Fans?

On every board I've gone these past two days. I've heard that Nintendo has forgotten its fans. I don't understand this. Nintendo is still making games from everyone’s favorite franchisees Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, etc. They continue two work the 2-D and 3-D market. Now with the revolution they will bring back old favorites for everyone (even young kids) to enjoy. Where it is that Nintendo forgot its fans?
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

I wouldn't say they're forgeting their fans. Just that they're pissing them off. The hold outs of Nintendo love were able to justify their existence by claiming that Zedla is coming soon. Then Nintendo goes and slaps a ridiulously long delay on it. Now there is nothing big coming to the Gamecube until next year. Possibly even after the Japanese PS3 launch.

So as a fan of Nintendo, i'm just pissed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    I wouldn't say they're forgeting their fans. Just that they're pissing them off. The hold outs of Nintendo love were able to justify their existence by claiming that Zedla is coming soon. Then Nintendo goes and slaps a ridiulously long delay on it. Now there is nothing big coming to the Gamecube until next year. Possibly even after the Japanese PS3 launch.

Battalion Wars?
    Fire Emblem?
    Mario Strikers?
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus

Battalion Wars?
    Fire Emblem?
    Mario Strikers?
    Yes those are great titles. But they don't have the umph of Zelda and the Zelda delay is the only thing they've done that i have had trouble with.

Battalion Wars and Fire Emblem have there own niches, Mario striker's, while looking really good, is still just another Mario whoring game, Zelda is the only game coming for the GC with across the board interest.

Either way the question of this thread was about why people think Nintendo is abandoning their fans and honestly i don't think they are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I'll go play a little Kid Icarus on my Gamecube.

OH WAIT.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*loans DavidBrit2 his GameBoy Player for his Gamecube*

*also loans his GameBoy cart Kid Icarus to him*

:-) Well, what are you waiting for? Go play Kid Icarus on your Gamecube!

dan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Official Sequels

nevermind

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nintendan
    *loans DavidBrit2 his GameBoy Player for his Gamecube*

*also loans his GameBoy cart Kid Icarus to him*

:-) Well, what are you waiting for? Go play Kid Icarus on your Gamecube!

dan
    Hey, yeah, let's just forget about everything made after 1992 or thereabouts. Wouldn't want any new material or anything.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Zelda Delay

Im happy to wait for the nintendo stamp of approval. I would rather have it be delayed and it be a true classic, than have it filled with glitches & dissapoint. Dont people have any patience? The problem with most games is developers rush to release leaving the software full of gaping holes or lacking in substance & depth. Its going to be awesome.

Hams

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I think we're all just forgetting how long we really waited between great releases back in the day. I remember playing the hell out of games on the NES and SNES because there wasn't anything else out, or I couldn't afford it.

We get great releases in a fairly constant flow from all developers and publishers, Nintendo is hard at work on a slew of titles for both the Gamecube and the DS. And even though they said it wasn't going to happen, the GBA is falling by the wayside with nothing too interesting on the horizon.

But, if you're looking for gaming in ONE spot, you're going to wait a long time between triple A titles from any single developer.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The GameCube is dead and putting out Zelda on it just ensures that the Revolution will arrive stillborn too.

Maybe Nintendo will officially decide to hell with the hardcores and lets try to go mainstream, but I doubt it. They'll listen to their fans and put Zelda out on the GameCube, and then the Revolution will launch with some "great" titles like Luigi's Mansion 2, Pokemon RPG and Mario Golf 3 hat will be nice, but nothing that will attract any non-hardcore Nintendo fan attention.

It's sad, really. I really like my GameCube, but Nintendo is just digging themselves a future home console grave right now.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

An actual pokemon game on a console would move systems, something fierce. No more of that battle shit they've been doing, but an actual RPG would really push systems on launch.

But, that's not who they need to push the systems to, they need to have Metroid Prime 3 and Mario 128 available for launch, and they'll have no trouble making a footprint in the next gen.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    The GameCube is dead and putting out Zelda on it just ensures that the Revolution will arrive stillborn too.

Maybe Nintendo will officially decide to hell with the hardcores and lets try to go mainstream, but I doubt it. They'll listen to their fans and put Zelda out on the GameCube, and then the Revolution will launch with some "great" titles like Luigi's Mansion 2, Pokemon RPG and Mario Golf 3 hat will be nice, but nothing that will attract any non-hardcore Nintendo fan attention.

It's sad, really. I really like my GameCube, but Nintendo is just digging themselves a future home console grave right now.
    Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan. I know i've told you this before but, damn it, Zelda cannot lanuch as a Revolution title, it's just insane. You can't build up something and then pull it only to release it on a different system. Yes most of the people buying Zelda will be buying revolutions anyways, but the fact is it's an insult to the fans and right now the fans are all Nintendo has. Casual gamers aren't in their camp in the console world and they know it. If you think launching Zelda on the revolution will draw mainstream blood you're completely out of your fucking mind. The only move that makes sense, which is also why i think they're delaying Zelda, is to release it as a GC game, at the revolutions launch.

That would allow gamecube owners to not get burned, non-gamecube owners to have something they can play on their new system that will hopefully last 5 years (why would they buy a dead system to play it on?) and not pissoff the people who love backwards compatibility and want to get rid of thier GC as soon as they get their Revolution.

However i'd much rather see them just release some solid Revolution titles, rather then hold back a game that is in insanely high demand. Like you said Nintendo needs to go mainstream and they can't do it like this. They need good original, adult targeted titles to do that. I think it's best you hold off on claiming they need Zelda at launch until after we see what they'll have at launch. Hopefully we'll find that out at TGS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

If anything, release a Zelda bundle when the Revolution comes out. If they're going to coincide the Gamecube release of the game with the release of the revolution, may as well include the gamecube game with the revolution and obviously sell it by itself. It wouldn't help move a ton of systems, but would say a big thank you to the people that were already going to buy a revolution anyways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo is hard at work on a slew of titles for both the Gamecube < such as?

Im sorry but the truth is the gamecube is all but dead its basically on lifesupport right now

Hell even EA has stopped porting many of there cross-platform games to the cube if that doesnt prove the state of the system I dont know what does.

Ill be very surprised if the big N does release Zelda on GC I think there is a 50/50 chance it could be on GC or Revolution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default I was quoted at saying this very thing

I was quoted at saying this very thing. Honestly, I am probably one of the biggest Nintendo fans here(complete N64 collection, one game from a liscensed Nes set). THEY HAVE FORGOTTEN ME. I am not 12. I am not into Pokemon. I dont give a rats ass about Mario in a Sporting events. I dont care about Mario in Board Games. After the SNES, it is like they handed off the video games for adults to the Playstation and then Microsoft. Yes, they have Zelda. Yes, they have Metroid(good series). Where are the the games for older people? Nintendo has forgotten that adults(who were then the people who made them the millions of dollars) like games too, and would love for Nintendo to remember them. I might add that if Nintnedo is so good at making games for adults, why are they a distant third, in game sales for consoles? Nintendo made a grave mistake making a the Gamecube a kiddie system. Although the Cube has some good games adults like, again it missed out on a lucrative market. For all I care anymore, either the Revolution is going to get it right or you can possibly kiss them goodbye making console hardware.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can't build up something and then pull it only to release it on a different system.< HMM yeah that NEVER happens Perfect dark Zero anyone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    You can't build up something and then pull it only to release it on a different system.< HMM yeah that NEVER happens Perfect dark Zero anyone?
    Perfect Dark Zero was always a concept, there was never anything concrete about it on the Xbox. Shit, there's nothing concrete on it on the X360 and it's supposed to be out in 2 months.

I played Twilight Princess along with 50,000 other people in May. What they have done so far is very polished, and it will not make its way to the Revolution. If it's released as a revolution game, I'll buy you a copy.

And yes, Nintendo is working on a lot of titles for the gamecube. According to the Nintendo website, they're working on 12 titles. There are only 40 Nintendo titles already released for the system (including Mario Baseball), so that's really not a small amount for the company to be working on. I don't really give a shit about any of the titles other than Zelda, but that's not the point. They're still supporting the system, and will continue to do so likely through the year-end of 2006.

There's pretty much no 3rd party support, but that's no different tune than we've heard for the past 4 years anyways.

Yeah, Zelda is going to be the last worthwhile release for the system, but we've all known that. Just because they've moved it back 6 months doesn't mean it's going to the new system.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan. I know i've told you this before but, damn it, Zelda cannot lanuch as a Revolution title, it's just insane. You can't build up something and then pull it only to release it on a different system. Yes most of the people buying Zelda will be buying revolutions anyways, but the fact is it's an insult to the fans and right now the fans are all Nintendo has. Casual gamers aren't in their camp in the console world and they know it. If you think launching Zelda on the revolution will draw mainstream blood you're completely out of your fucking mind. The only move that makes sense, which is also why i think they're delaying Zelda, is to release it as a GC game, at the revolutions launch.
    I mean this in NO WAY as an insult, but it is fans like you that Nintendo caters too, and that is why I COMPLETLEY think that Nintendo will stupidly release Zelda for the GameCube. It might be an "insult" to the fans of the GameCube right now if the game doesn't come out for it, but Nintendo needs to move beyond the fans and go mainstream.

Why you think Zelda isn't mainstream is beyond me. It's about Nintendo's only true mainstream console title. Oh sure, there is Mario and Pokemon and Pikmin and random other Nintendo kiddy fair that does nothing to make someone over 15 that isn't already a Nintendo fan want their systems, but Zelda is the only thing that regular old gamers go, "Hell yeah!" too.

But Nintendo has proven time and time again that keeping their kiddy image and hardcore fans is vastly more important to them than actually branching out and possibly gaining market share.

That would allow gamecube owners to not get burned, non-gamecube owners to have something they can play on their new system that will hopefully last 5 years (why would they buy a dead system to play it on?) and not pissoff the people who love backwards compatibility and want to get rid of thier GC as soon as they get their Revolution.
    Yes, it would look almost as good as the pathetic GameCube launch if the best title for the Revolution is a game that you can also play on the GameCube. That would've been like launching the PS2 and releasing Metal Gear Solid 2 on the PS1 that same day. It would've been stupid for Sony to do that if they wanted market share.

Again though, Nintendo cares more for the hardcore folks. Zelda will be a GameCube title.

However i'd much rather see them just release some solid Revolution titles, rather then hold back a game that is in insanely high demand. Like you said Nintendo needs to go mainstream and they can't do it like this. They need good original, adult targeted titles to do that. I think it's best you hold off on claiming they need Zelda at launch until after we see what they'll have at launch. Hopefully we'll find that out at TGS.
    Well, juding by their last launch and the fact that they have had absolutely nothing to say about it, I'm not exactly holding my breath here.

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist
    I was quoted at saying this very thing. Honestly, I am probably one of the biggest Nintendo fans here(complete N64 collection, one game from a liscensed Nes set). THEY HAVE FORGOTTEN ME. I am not 12. I am not into Pokemon. I dont give a rats ass about Mario in a Sporting events. I dont care about Mario in Board Games.
    I'm totally in the same boat as you. I bet that Nintendo fans on these boards will start to think that I'm as biased as Sony fans tend to think that I have been in the past when talking about the PSP. But I'm not. In fact, I really do love the GameCube -- I have two -- but the fact that it is the most mismanaged console since the Jaguar really bugs me.

And Nintendo isn't suddenly going to "find" us again sadly. The presentations that they have prove it time and time again for me. Reggie talking about kicking ass, them talking about their history, hyping something big that they can't reveal yet... It's always the same, and it makes the hardcore Nintendo fans jump around and say Nintendo is really coming back "this time." But mainstream gamers look at all the Nintendo fans jumping around and wonder what the big deal is. Nintendo has yet to show those people ANYTHING.

And if anyone reading this wants to tell me how Nintendo has reached out to casual console fans in the past two years, I'd love to hear it. Yes, Metroid was a great thing but Metroid 2 didn't do anything else huge. Beyond that...

I would love to hear someone defend their latest GameCube strategy that seems to involve them porting popular Game Boy Advance games to the GameCube.

After the SNES, it is like they handed off the video games for adults to the Playstation and then Microsoft. Yes, they have Zelda. Yes, they have Metroid(good series). Where are the the games for older people? Nintendo has forgotten that adults(who were then the people who made them the millions of dollars) like games too, and would love for Nintendo to remember them. I might add that if Nintnedo is so good at making games for adults, why are they a distant third, in game sales for consoles? Nintendo made a grave mistake making a the Gamecube a kiddie system. Although the Cube has some good games adults like, again it missed out on a lucrative market. For all I care anymore, either the Revolution is going to get it right or you can possibly kiss them goodbye making console hardware.
    I know that I'll still continue to have people on these boards fight me on this but...

You'll be able to tell if Nintendo will get everything with the Revolution right just based on if Zelda comes out for the Cube or the Revolution. If it comes out for the Revolution, with Nintendo therefore effectively saying "screw you hardcore fans, you'll have to wait, we need this," Nintendo has a chance of getting back into it. If the much more likely situation comes out where Zelda is launched around the launch of the PS3, no one is going to notice it or care, and when the Revolution comes out, no one is going to care about Mario's Coffee Party, Super-Duper Smash Brothers Kick-Ass, Pikmin 3 and Luigi's Mansion 2 being launch titles... no one that is except the hardcore Nintendo fan.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    I mean this in NO WAY as an insult, but it is fans like you that Nintendo caters too, and that is why I COMPLETLEY think that Nintendo will stupidly release Zelda for the GameCube. It might be an "insult" to the fans of the GameCube right now if the game doesn't come out for it, but Nintendo needs to move beyond the fans and go mainstream.
    I do not take it as an insult and i am not one of the Nintendo fans you were talking about. I haven't been since the coming of the Dreamcast. But i do know the type of people you're talking about. Nintendo catering to them is what cost Nintendo everything it once had. The problem, i feel, is that they're too far gone now to be able to survive without them. Nintendo can't just shuck the fans and try to gain a new audience, because new people aren't just gonna join the Revolution. They need the fans or they have nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatdan
    Why you think Zelda isn't mainstream is beyond me. It's about Nintendo's only true mainstream console title. Oh sure, there is Mario and Pokemon and Pikmin and random other Nintendo kiddy fair that does nothing to make someone over 15 that isn't already a Nintendo fan want their systems, but Zelda is the only thing that regular old gamers go, "Hell yeah!" too.
    That's very true and i've been thinking about that ever since i said it. Zelda is the most mainstream of Nintendo's franchises, but on one game does not a console support itself. Zelda alone is not enough get the mainstream gamers on board with Nintendo. They need a more total experience to capture that part of the market. If the revolution launches with Zelda, a pokemon game, Mario Golf 3 and whatever the hell else you said, it's not going to look as good as the MS or Sony lineup to the mainstream audience and most people can't afford multiple systems at launch. That's what i was trying to get at.

But Nintendo has proven time and time again that keeping their kiddy image and hardcore fans is vastly more important to them than actually branching out and possibly gaining market share.
    no arguement there, Nintendo is fucking up. I've been saying that ever since the BBA fiasco.

Yes, it would look almost as good as the pathetic GameCube launch if the best title for the Revolution is a game that you can also play on the GameCube. That would've been like launching the PS2 and releasing Metal Gear Solid 2 on the PS1 that same day. It would've been stupid for Sony to do that if they wanted market share.
    Look you can't honestly tell me it's good for business to pull a title that big from a system, especially since we were all expecting it this fall, and not expect massive backlash from gamers and more importantly, the gaming media. Releasing it with the Revolution is not a bad idea if Nintendo actually forms a decent launch line up. It fit's with their whole, one system for all Nintendo games, mindset.

Well, juding by their last launch and the fact that they have had absolutely nothing to say about it, I'm not exactly holding my breath here.
    If there's one thing we defintely see eye to eye on it's that Nintendo clearly has no idea what they're doing in the console world. The GC launch was the biggest embarassment the company has had to endure since the Virtual Boy.

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist
    I was quoted at saying this very thing. Honestly, I am probably one of the biggest Nintendo fans here(complete N64 collection, one game from a liscensed Nes set). THEY HAVE FORGOTTEN ME. I am not 12. I am not into Pokemon. I dont give a rats ass about Mario in a Sporting events. I dont care about Mario in Board Games.
    I'm totally in the same boat as you. I bet that Nintendo fans on these boards will start to think that I'm as biased as Sony fans tend to think that I have been in the past when talking about the PSP. But I'm not. In fact, I really do love the GameCube -- I have two -- but the fact that it is the most mismanaged console since the Jaguar really bugs me.
    Again i have to agree with you Dan. The GC has been horribly mismanaged. Oh and I hope no one here is gonna think you're biased against Nintendo because anyone who's read you're posts should no that you damn well aren't. Although you are defintely in bed with the blue hedgehog .

Times change and Nintendo hasn't. I wouldn't say that they've forgotten their fans, just that their fans have grown up and are ready to move on. If you were a Seseme ST. fan as a child you wouldn't expect it to mature as you did would you? No, you out grow it and that's what's happening with Nintendo fans.

And if anyone reading this wants to tell me how Nintendo has reached out to casual console fans in the past two years, I'd love to hear it. Yes, Metroid was a great thing but Metroid 2 didn't do anything else huge. Beyond that...
    The only thing that stands out in my mind is the Capcom 5. Nintendo had some kick ass exclusives lined up but then they just sort of let shit fall apart and BOOM, now none of the Capcom 5 are exclusive, except for P.N.03 and it's garbage so it doesn't really matter.

I would love to hear someone defend their latest GameCube strategy that seems to involve them porting popular Game Boy Advance games to the GameCube.
    No one can do that and if they can they're in league with Satan.

I know that I'll still continue to have people on these boards fight me on this but...

You'll be able to tell if Nintendo will get everything with the Revolution right just based on if Zelda comes out for the Cube or the Revolution. If it comes out for the Revolution, with Nintendo therefore effectively saying "screw you hardcore fans, you'll have to wait, we need this," Nintendo has a chance of getting back into it. If the much more likely situation comes out where Zelda is launched around the launch of the PS3, no one is going to notice it or care, and when the Revolution comes out, no one is going to care about Mario's Coffee Party, Super-Duper Smash Brothers Kick-Ass, Pikmin 3 and Luigi's Mansion 2 being launch titles... no one that is except the hardcore Nintendo fan.
    Dan i think i'll put an end to arguing on this matter right now by saying:

I think it's suicide for them to release Zelda on the Revolution. You think it's the only chance the revolution has. Let's just bide our time and see what happens. Sound like a deal, mate?