Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EBgames insurance

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default EBgames insurance

I've been trying to find out some more info about insurance for games that you buy from EBgames. As you all know, you pay a few dollars, and you get insurance on a game for about a year which means you can give it back at anytime and get a brand new one. Now I am trying to buy games online from EB and I would like to know if I can still get insurance when buying online?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am not sure if you can do it online when ordering you may have an option too....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Call the hotline, I dont know they dont tell us much about online sales.

(I am an employee)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I'm sure they don't, I order a lot of used games from EBGames.com and if they did, I'm sure they'd be whoring it out at the checkout page.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If they don't, you can just bring the games into any EB Games store within the 14 days of getting them in the mail. Just show your invoice as your receipt and they'll re-ring it up with the warranty on there for you (you'd just pay for the warranty). If they don't they're idiots.

We do it all the time. Heck I've personally replaced about 30 customer CDs with the warranty on new ones, and of those, it's almost always a GTA:SA of Madden 05/06.

The warranty basically covers anything so long as the disc is one piece with no cracks or breaks.

Jason

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So the insurance could work to my advantage... lets say...

I buy a copy of Gran Turismo 4 with insurance (About $4 extra). I play the game for one year, enjoy it, and then bring it back for a sealed copy since I still have my insurance. Now I have a brand new copy, and I played through the game in the past so its a win-win situation

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My guess is they won't have a sealed copy in a year, they will give you a used copy if they have one that works. I wonder if they refund your money if they don't have a copy to replace it with??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At my store (providence) we open the copy we are going to swap out and just switch the discs. You get to keep the case and instructions you had with it. It is a new one though.

If we dont have the game in the store...we just let you pick a differen't game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bet the reason that they don't sell the plans on the website is due to the fact that insurance and warranty laws are different in every state. Otherwise you're right, they'd be pushing them on every sale.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My guess is they won't have a sealed copy in a year, they will give you a used copy if they have one that works. I wonder if they refund your money if they don't have a copy to replace it with??
    1. We replace it with what you bought: New for new, and used for used. Your guesses are wrong.

If we don't have a copy of the game in stock, we check other stores for the customer, or we just let them grab something else.

Jason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

do the employees in store have to give you the whole shpeil

this weekend i purchased some games at an eb and the sales clerk kept going with the insurance shpeil no matter how many times i said no
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funny story, and no kidding around, this happened to me recently at EB while purchasing Super Mario Cart for the SNES during the 50% of sale.

Me: Hello, just this for me today (1 SMC, $12 regular price $6 after the 50% off)

Clerk: OK I'll go ahead and add a gameplay guarantee to that for you and that will be $7.45

Me: What's that, a game play guarantee?

Clerk: Ya, it's only a dollar and protects your game for a year.

Me: Oh, no thank you I'll pass on that

Clerk: Are you sure? If anything goes wrong with this for a year we will replace it.

Me: No thanks I'll just take the game today.

Manager standing behind the counter: Dude, that game is like $2 just get the game play guarantee, it's a good deal.

Me: Well, it's more like $6 but...

Manager: You know that has batteries in it right? Those are going to die.

Me: this has batteries in it? Are you sure? (I honestly have no idea)

Manager: Heck ya, all those old games do. You need to get that game play grantee because they will die.

Me: Well I think I'll take my chances. I'll just take the game.

Manger: Your making a big mistake those batteries will die.

Me: Looks a clerk and give her the I'm ready to go nod.

Clerk: So, did you want that game play guarantee then?

Me: No thanks just the game.

Clerk: Rolls eyes, $6.39

Me: Thanks

Clerk, Manager: Silence

I know these folks get this stuff pushed on them and I feel for them, but good grief that was extreme. I haven't been back since.
    So do all carts have batteries? Even if they do what are the chances they will go out in the year I buy it.

Numsay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Not all carts have batteries, just ones with a built in save function. The battery stores the save for as long as it lasts. A good example is to look at the clear GBC carts. You can easily identify the battery if there is one in that cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I work in the #5 store in the US when it comes to sales and we dont even have time to keep a customer for that long.

Honestly thats so stupid, I push it and if I get a no...then its a no.

The only time ill push it for longer is if they are getting something that comes with an item. EX Mario Party 6 with Microphone. Because it covers the Microphone to.

You should of slapped the two in the face.

I was under the impression only carts that gives you the option to save has a battery. I know thats for the NES, not sure about SNES though. So dont quote me on that.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Hey Darren, did you say you work in the Providence EB? As in, the one in the Providence Place Mall?

And yet your profile says you live in New York.

If you DO work in the Providence Place Mall -- I never knew that store was number 5 in sales in the country, but I believe it! Every time I'm in the mall (normaly for Dave and Busters or to see a movie or to eat with a friend) and pass by that store it's PACKED. And this is a SMALL location also, folks. My apartment has more square feet then this store does.

That's why I usually shop at the Rhode Island Mall and Warwick Mall locations. Easier to find what you want and to get in and out of.

But if you're still at that location you have my respect. :P
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That was pretty stupid that they would force the point on you that much.
    Especially for the manager to then try and talk you into it when the other one couldn't.

nd your right the chance that the battery in the cart will die(assuming it has one) will definately not die in the year you get it.
    Those things last forever.... well not forever but really long.
    R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

http://www.rfgeneration.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Soulblazer -

I go to school in RI, so I work in that store. I worked there all school year last year and just got my job back again. I started 3 years ago in CT store and then went to the Providence store during my sophmore year of school. Im now in my Junior year and start working again this sat or sunday. I'm the guy with the piercings, if you ever stop in.

It was #5 last may. Who knows now. Im sure its still around there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the batteries are easy to replace anyways - and they are cheap - ive replaced a bunch with out problems

and no the batts dont last forever -- i have many carts with dead batteries -- well many in my book -- like 10 out of almost 1300 -- and thats not includeing sports, since i dont care if you can save or not.
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Put it this way - they push the GPG because they make money on it. It's essentially insurance with a very high risk markup. Is there any reason to pool risk on faulty SNES games at a really high price? Of course not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They would of only made .20 cents on it. I doubt they were pushing it for that reason.

My guess, they were behind on goal for that time of the day if it was at night, the end of the day. That would make a lot more sense.