Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 YEARS OF PLAYSTATION ^_^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 10 YEARS OF PLAYSTATION ^_^

The Playstation is 10 years old today. 09/09/95 !

Do you remember your first experience with the Playstation? Did you grab yours on launchday too?

- MarkMan
    www.SDTEKKEN.com - SAN DIEGO TEKKEN
    www.tekkenzaibatsu.com - Tekken Zaibatsu

Idle

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember another system being launched on 09/09/99.

But nope, I didnt get my PSX on launch day.

dan

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, it's getting old. Time to put the POSX down. I wish it had never been released.

Innovation stifling. Flash over substance. Glitz over gameplay.

Don't fool yourself. Console companies have had a huge influence on developers the entire time.

Did the quality of Konami games fall on it's own. What the hell happened to some of the other companies. It like they sank into nothingness (Technosoft? Naxat? hello!? what the hell?)

It's time for the monopolistic reign of terror to end. It's been ten years too long.

BTW. I did have a PSX for some time. It had RPGs. That seemed like enough before I started wanting to play any other damn thing.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didnt get a playstation till 1998 (or early 1999), but I remember seeing one in action at a friends birthday. His brother had just bought one and we were all playing Ridge Racer and Destruction Derby. I was in complete awe and very pleased when we got one a few years later.
    To this day its the console ive spent the most time playing (Mega Drive and PS2 are tied for second).

My personal favourite playstation games would have to be the Gran Turismos, Syphon Filters, Ace Combats (except 3 which was awful) and any Namco game.

edit: Add Darkstalkers, Sonic Wings Special, Vib Ribbon, Porsche Challenge, Mr Driller, Army Men 3d (i liked it),NFS: HS, Pong and Medal of Honor. I could go all day like this

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my first memory was playin 2extreme or whatever that crappy game was at a movie theater kiosk, either that or when my buddy first got his and he had in the hunt, raiden, project horned owl, loaded, revolution X, madden( or something) and we played allllll night, and i dont care what anyone says, i still love revolution X

"EAT THE RICH!"
    You must be Dirk, Dirk the Daring

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendos Playstation(SNEScd) and an early PSX:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A great system, i first got one in 99 some time. My cousin let me borrow it (I still have it) and I really enjoyed it. I mostly play it for the RPGS but I think I'm running out of fun games to play on it.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Yeah, I have had some great memories and times with my PlayStation. Silhouette Mirage, the LUNAR games, numerous other RPGs, Incredible Crisis, Einhander, RC de GO!, Alundra, R4: Ridge Racer Type 4, Metal Gear Solid, Ape Escape, and of course, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. I must have played through SotN at least a half dozen times by now.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still my fav console. The home of survival horror, any number of RPGs, and really bad 3D ideas.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really loved the Playstation... Metal Gear Solid... Resident Evil... Tekken 1, 2, 3... gooooood times.
    - MarkMan
    www.SDTEKKEN.com - SAN DIEGO TEKKEN
    www.tekkenzaibatsu.com - Tekken Zaibatsu

Idle

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nintendan
    I remember another system being launched on 09/09/99.

But nope, I didnt get my PSX on launch day.

dan

NICE... long live the DC..

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't get a Playstation until around Halloween of '99, and I think from that point through late 2001, early 2002, I was snapping up at least one game for it every month. To put that in perspective, prior to that I had done all of my gaming on the PC or, before that, the Apple II or original Game Boy. I had given up on console gaming because to me - and I really still feel this way about huge chunks of the 16 bit era - everything seemed to be boiled down to 7-10 distinctly defined categories, few if any of which held any interest for me. (To me, the innovation was stifled long before Sony enterted the picture.) By getting into the PSX late, I had a nice smorgasbord of new games laid out before me - some of that machine's "twilight games" were among its best, and some of those still rank among my favorites. And the imports! Wow. The Japanese retro collections. Beautiful stuff. And the PSone with the LCD screen: perfect.

The Playstation dragged me out of the vintage console gamer closet and reintroduced me to being a gamer, period. Without the PS1 to shake me out of my vintage gaming elistism (which I readily admit I was suffering at the time), I might never have discovered the pleasures of more recent, post-PS1 games like the Rogue Squadron series or Katamari Damacy. It had the most diverse library since, at least in my opinion, the NES, and it may still be the most diverse library we've seen since then. I heart my PS1. It taught me that it was okay to like modern games, and that there was nothing intrinsically wrong with them. And it played a lot of old favorites as well.

It's really one of my all-time favorite consoles.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I honestly dont want to ruin this thread so ignore this post however I must say what a crap and overrated POS console the PSX was...there I said it carry on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

10 years!!!
    Oh my god. I am getting so old. I remember when it came out; me and my buddy thought it was the best gaming was ever going to get. I can't believe we thought that. .
    I'm going to crack out the old Twisted Metal 2 and give 'er a play on this special day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i will dance on its grave. damn, you playstation! damn you to hell for killing 2D.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

eh, Top Shop is one of the greatest games of all time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I got mine on launch day, traded in a genny/32x/segacd combo to get a discount on it. I split the cost with my college roommate. I remember playing it in my dorm room, random people would just stop in amazed by the graphics of ridge racer.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Goddamn, never expected so many negative comments in here. :/

Anyways, the Playstation (and even moreso when the PS2 library is added) is my favorite system of all time. It had just about everything I could ask for (Save for some 2D fighters which I picked up for Saturn).

I think I own almost 200 games, and I can still think of about 50 more that i'd like to purchase.

When did I get a Playstation? Maybe.... 97? It was a gift, I remember it being around $200 at the time. I would play the system every damn day.

Some of the games that came with the system when it was purchased...

Tekken 2
    Tobal #1
    Loaded
    Resident Evil

All classics, and games that i'll always come back to for a nice shot of nostalga.

The Playstation was the first big console for me. I owned everything back to an NES, but Playstation was when I was gaming like crazy. RPG's started coming out like crazy. Final Fantasy VII, Suikoden, Wild Arms LUNAR. Survival Horror impressed me with greats such as Resident Evil and Silent Hill , and even puzzle games started to interest me, such as Puzzle Fighter and IQ.

I will agree with the lack of 2D, as I love shooters and 2D fighters. But Playstation never lacked other great games.

My first playstation came and went. But I'll always keep my replacement that I kept for 6 months before the PS2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Happy Birthday Playstation
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think I need to say anything as far as I'm concerned with PSX.

Also...about "Killing 2D"...

Seeing how Sony bought the exlcusive US distribution rights for King of Fighters 95 and (even repaired) Samurai Shodown III, had the better version of Street Fighter Alpha 1, got Mortal Kombat 3 all by themselves in the 32 bit systems, launched with Raiden Project, and damn near a ton of other stuff, the PlayStation was a fine, supportive 2D System.

However, when Sony realized that Saturn had the better 2D stuff (all future Capcom fighters, Guardian Heroes, etc), they then pushed for 3D because they knew who were going to be their breadwinners; the mainstream looking for the next best, most realistic thing; 3D. Even with them pushing 3D, you still got awesome 2D games like Street Fighter Alpha 3, Castlevania SOTN, and more.

Secondly, the Launch Years Sony crew was very different from the later years Sony staff, and the current Sony is an absolute beast that can not be killed but needs to be.

If you're going to dance on anyones graves, dance on the current staff's. Leave the original crew alone.

Happy Anniversary PlayStation!
    Jason