View Poll Results: Will Sega's 'rebirth of Sonic' be a success?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 28.21%
  • No

6 15.38%
  • Too early to say

22 56.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 'rebirth of Sonic'

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The 'rebirth of Sonic'

Along with Sonic Riders (as discussed here), Sega have also unveiled the next iteration of the popular, yet somewhat misguided as of late, Sonic series. Due for release on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in 2006, 'Sonic the Hedgehog' is being described as a "re-invention" of the classic franchise. Yuji Naka (when was he last involved?) is heading up the game's development, while character designer Naoto Ohshima is involved as well.

Naka said (courtesy of GameSpoy): "We are proud to re-create our famous friend, Sonic, for a new generation of gamers on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360," said Naka. "With Sonic the Hedgehog, we have gone back to our starting point, more than 15-years ago, to reinvent the attitude and speed that made our hero a legend. The 'rebirth of Sonic' will offer an unparalleled sense of speed that is only possible using the processing power afforded by the new systems."

Obviously, little is known about the game at this point. The screenshots (if indeed they are in-game screenshots) fail to offer any hint of what the gameplay might offer.

Will Sega's 'rebrith of Sonic' be a success?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I fail to see how, from the basis of 4 screenshots and a very brief statement that gives away no details, anyone could vote for anything other than "Too early to tell".

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    I fail to see how, from the basis of 4 screenshots and a very brief statement that gives away no details, anyone could vote for anything other than "Too early to tell".
    Base your opinion on recent Sonic efforts. Base your opinion on what we do know. Base your opinion on a gut instinct.

You can still have an opinion, even if it isn't a particularly well-informed one. Sheesh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You mean a poll based entirely on groundless speculation then? Hell, that never happens on DP...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always thought Sonic the character and the games were very poor.
    Zelda is NOT an RPG.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

It's hard to say whether or not the rebirth will be a success, Sega's had a really piss-poor track record lately. Here's hoping though cause i miss the fun of classic Sonic.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy
    I've always thought Sonic the character and the games were very poor.
    Oh come on like he's worse then any other Character from the era? A super-fast hedgehog who is trying to save his forest home from the evil Dr. Eggman? Doesn't sound any worse then an italian plumber in shroom land trying to rescue a princess from a big lizard and his minions. However i will agree that most of the games in the sonic weren't very inspiring. However Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic and Knuckles and Sonic CD are really fun solid games. The rest of the core games i can take or leave and the off shoots are mostly terrible.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    Well there's a very simple answer to that question and here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by THATinkjar
    Base your opinion on recent Sonic efforts. Base your opinion on what we do know. Base your opinion on a gut instinct.

You can still have an opinion, even if it isn't a particularly well-informed one. Sheesh.
    See blind faith and pure hatred. If you'd like to "be intimate" with the Blue Hedgehog, you think it's the greatest thing ever. If you want to kill the Blue Hedgehog and burn his forest to the ground then you think it's gonna be shit. If you have an semblance of an unbiased opinion or rationality, then you know it's way to early to tell. Honestly with Sonic games you can't really make a call until the game is out.

Oh and does anyone else fear that Sonic racer's could be the next Sonic R? Chills run down my spine.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Sonic Team should just stick to 2-D games. That's what they're good at and that's what they should make.

If I had to base my decision around the latest Sonic titles, I'd have to say it's just gonna be another piss poor 3-D Sonic game. It'll probably just be Sonic Adventure with beefed up graphics and the same problems the 3-D episodes have had for years now.

Oh, and Njiska, as soon as I read about Sonic Riders, horrible visions of Sonic R began to run through my mind, so you're not alone.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought Sonics parts in the Adventure series were great and Sonic Heroes wasn't bad at all. Like I said in another thread, a friend told me that he hears this new Sonic will be Sonic only. I hope it's true. I hope this game kicks ass completely.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I have full faith in Sonic Team to make this a great game, they've never dissapointed me before, and they won't this time. Those screenshots, although very early, make me drool.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I vote 'To Early to Say'. I wasnt a big Sonic Adventure fan, and Heroes failed to impress me, but hopefully with Naka up front, Sonic Team can shell out a great game.

Also, Sonic Rush DS looks pretty cool too. Its nice to see that theyre busy. The dissapointement that was Billy Hatcher, was made up for by the greatness of Feel the Magic. And with a Feel the Magic sequel on the way, maybe things are looking up for the Sonic Team.

Joe.
    Xbox Live Tag - GunstarHeroUK

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish that they would keep the New Sonic style (green eyes and long hair) and do 3D. Then they could take the old Sonic and do 2D games. Make them alternate universes, and you attract more people with different gameplay.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Going back to the root of the sonic series is a very good movie. As long as it's Sonic, and only sonic and very very fast - I think it could be a lot of fun. Sonic Adventure & Adventure 2 were pretty fun - but they broke up the action with the other characters which just plain out sucked.

Sonic
    Speed
    Japanese style sonic music would be good too.

It would be nice if the took a 'batman begins' approach to it, and make the new game appear FIRST chronologically in the series - with Sonic's origin and the whole Dr. Kintobor to Dr. Robotnik/Eggman story element.

Wait forget that entire thing - Here's what they should do - Make a game that looks, feels, sounds, and plays EXACTLY like the cartoon intro to Sonic CD. THAt would be awesome.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im thinking that they will be spending a large amount of money on this new Sonic game seeing as it wont be easy to live up to the 15 years of great gaming Sonic has offered us. So MY OPINION is that it will be a great game. May not get 10's on IGN or Gamespot, but it will be a fun experience just like the other Sonic games, if not better. I cant wait Sega.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

as long as they dont add any guns and weapons I will be happy. Based on the 4th screen shot it just looks like the game will be VERY VERY fast, making good use of a motion screen blur that is probably only capable on the next gen hardware.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Too soon to tell imo i'm in no rush any ways.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well if nothing else, those screenshots are BEAUTIFUL. That first one, is breathtaking!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by THATinkjar
    Yuji Naka (when was he last involved?) is heading up the game's development, while character designer Naoto Ohshima is involved as well.
    Presiding over the game's development will be none other than Yuji Naka, who, along with character designer Naoto Ohshima, created the original Sonic game for the Sega Genesis in 1991.
    Ohshima isn't involved, he's at Artoon last I heard. And as far as I'm aware, Naka has been involved in every console major console iteration of the series apart from Sonic CD.

The screens look nice, for sure, but it's a hell of a lot easier to make nice screens than to make a nice game. Sonic Adventure and 2 were alright games, but nothing you'd go back to endlessly -- Sonic Heroes was complete crock. Unless this truly is a reinvention of the series, new engine and design principles and all, I see this as most likely being another poorly-thought-out game using the obsolete Sonic Adventure engine.

Interesting that "Sonic the Hedgehog" and "Shadow the Hedgehog" are both upcoming solo adventures. With that other FPS/demon thing they're working on (which looks like it'll probably suck), aren't Sonic Team spreading themselves a little thin by this point? Perhaps that's why they're still using a seven-year-old engine...

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I like the idea of a large, static world to run around in. Sonic is supposed to wander around looking for something exiting right? All his adventures are just something he decided to up and do because it looked like something to do. However that doesn't show much in the games, since it's all level after level. Sonic Adventure's action fields were a good start to this.

However imagine a huge world, free wandering, and the other characters are running around doing their own thing as well, and you can choose to interact with them, or not. Eggman's attacking the city? You could stop him, or go hunt emeralds. That is an idea that appeals to me greatly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm waiting it out to make judgements, but, I have much hope to say the least.

I mean, those screenshots look fantastic, I just hope the storylines go back and continue Sonic 3 & Knuckles... please.

Anyways, I think its a great time to be a Sega/Sonic fan. Sonic Rush, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Riders, and now the new Sonic game.. jeez.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/