Thread: Good controller organization system?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Good controller organization system?

OK, I have all my systems nicely on display, but I don't like leaving the controllers attached because it just looks like a big spaghetti mess!

What do you do with your controllers to keep them organized? I was thinking of getting a shoe-storage unit and putting the controllers in the cobby holes...any other ideas?

FS

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I allways keep one firmly tucked in my ass.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

^ x_x

Back to the regularly scheduled topic...

Last night I rearranged my game room and decided that I'd keep the games and controllers off the shelf (and just grab 'em and connect 'em when I was ready to play). So I like the topic.

Right now they're just jumbled into a corner but the only thought I had was to hang them somewhere. You know, like you can hang tools up on particle board? But I like the hanging closet organizer idea.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I currently have 14 different systems hooked up to my TV in the basement. But I think my setup is very different then most, but it is very tidy, but does not " display " my systms for all to see. There are people who have been in my basement and have no idea all those systems are there. When I bought my new bedroom set, I took the dressers from my bedroom to the basement. I put holes in the back with a hole saw for the wiring to go from behind. So my systems are in all these drawers, with the controllers, and typically some games for that system. When I want to play it, I open the drawer, select the appropriate switch on the switching boxes and go. Then its a quick easy cleanup, all systems are available at any time with no hookup required, and no mess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Grouped by "bit". (8-bit, 16 bit etc)

I keep all of my consoles connected up to a TV in the basement, all the time. Putting the controllers underneath in crates is the neatest decision I've made so far.

/ooooh the irony if you check out where I got that pic. I'll give 'em back, honest. As soon as I'm done.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Quazick
    I allways keep one firmly tucked in my ass.
    x_x

As for the controllers,I got this storage thing at Kmart for $10 that holds all my controllers.Accept for the four Xbox ones,too big!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tag 'em and bag 'em. ziplock style!

I usually put the AC and RF/AV lines in a ziplock with the controller (if it) fits to keep them organized.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Similar to omnedon, I keep mine in the sterilite plastic bins. Not so much grouped by bit, but in 3 containers: classics (INTV, Coleco, Atari), Nintendo & Sega, all the others: Sony, Neo Geo, 3DO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm from the cardboard box w/rubber bands on the cords school myself. But that's only for spares that I'm storing. I have one controller for each system with the system at all times. I usually roll up the cord (gently so as not to cause shorts) and set the controllers on top of the systems, and then plug em back in and unroll em when I want to play. If I'm playing a system a lot, I leave the cord plugged in. It seems like too much of a hassle to put them somewhere completely separate from the systems IMO, cause i'm lazy and I'll just play whatever has a controller plugged in if I start doing that so I'd never get to play anything!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A little side note here.... and a good idea for DP for a photoshoot with the fine Digital Press Spokesmodel. It is fun to tie up your gf/wife with your controllers, and then push her buttons.

No charge for that idea.

How incorrect of me not to mention for our fine ladies, that your men might also enjoy this past time.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I employ the "maxlords system", although I may look into the "stonecutter technique".
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have my controllers wrapped up in their cords and placed on top of the console they belong to.
    It looks a bit messy, but it's always better than having to puzzly out a controller from a drawer with 20 others in it. And they are always at the place they are needed.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i keep mine all hooked up to the systems spaghetti style.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stonecutter
    I currently have 14 different systems hooked up to my TV in the basement. But I think my setup is very different then most, but it is very tidy, but does not " display " my systms for all to see. There are people who have been in my basement and have no idea all those systems are there. When I bought my new bedroom set, I took the dressers from my bedroom to the basement. I put holes in the back with a hole saw for the wiring to go from behind. So my systems are in all these drawers, with the controllers, and typically some games for that system. When I want to play it, I open the drawer, select the appropriate switch on the switching boxes and go. Then its a quick easy cleanup, all systems are available at any time with no hookup required, and no mess.
    That's one of the best ideas I've heard of yet!
    But tell me.. Where in heck did you get a switchbox to handle 14 consoles? Or am I misunderstanding?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where in heck did you get a switchbox to handle 14 consoles?
    Not sure about his setup, but if you look around Game Rooms section most have a stack of switchboxes. You hook the output of one to an input of another and you can daisy-chian them.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My setup's a but worse than school kitchen on Spaghetti day but I can grab the desired controller quickly. For most systems, I have just one controller attached and the cable left hanging behind the console. And for extra controllers, I use a rack:

Click the image to see a larger image. (535K)

Got that rack from Toys R Us. The biggest controller on the rack is on the very top that came with my copy of Survival Run. Yes, it works. Yes, it's complete. No, the picture doesn't show all the controller. I have another 30 or so assorted controllers stuffed into a wooden chest 9which used to be my old toy chest)

One could say I have an organized chaos.
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As mentioned, I have multiple switch boxes daisy chained together. For the RF systems I have a 3 way splitter from the TV, with like 2 RF boxes connected in series off each of the 3 splits. Maybe someday if I get it tidy enough here I can post a couple of pics, but I think my Room of Doom is not as impressive as many of yours. Its a start though.