Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Getting upset because someone has a large colection of rare games and you dont? Is there a point to this? A good number of people here have colections that make mine look small. What I lack in numbers, I like to believe I make up for in quality though. Thats because I buy what I want and pass on the rest. Sure, I could have well over 1000 games by now if all I wanted were games priced 2-5$, but thats not what I want. Instead, I have at best 425 games. All of which I want and enjoy. Well, most of them anyways. Thing is to buy what you want and get what you can when you are able to. If you dont, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a hint:

Collect what you enjoy. What's the point of trying to collect nothing but rare stuff? It's surely nice to find a random rareity here and there, and it will surely happen sooner or later, but don't fret over it.

I'm a huge vintage pc collector but most all of it is not rare nor does it command a huge price online.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

HELP! I'm lost in a stream of exclaimation marks!

Holy crap. You expect people to read that?

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I smell in this thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey doofus, I have a new hobby for you: Start collecting pieces of intelligence.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by poloplayr
    Hey doofus, I have a new hobby for you: Start collecting pieces of intelligence.
    I have no idea why I laughed at that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are very few "rare" and fun games out there.. If you want a good conversation piece get Tengen Tetris. Even non-collectors know about the cart. In fact most people comment on how rare it is even though it is no longer a grail.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon
    There are very few "rare" and fun games out there...
    Bingo. Know why a game is usually "rare?" Because it sold poorly because the gameplay sucked. Sure, there are the "Limited Edition, Low Print Run, OMGWTFRARE!!!?!" games with awesome gameplay, but those ARE rare.

If it's a great game, odds are it sold well and in high numbers. Ergo, it won't ever be rare. I bet half of the guys here with truly rare games usually never play 'em because - well - they suck.

Stick with collecting good, fun games rather than lusting over the rare crap. Because "rare" often does equate with "crap."
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raedon
    There are very few "rare" and fun games out there...
    Bingo. Know why a game is usually "rare?" Because it sold poorly because the gameplay sucked. Sure, there are the "Limited Edition, Low Print Run, OMGWTFRARE!!!?!" games with awesome gameplay, but those ARE rare.

If it's a great game, odds are it sold well and in high numbers. Ergo, it won't ever be rare. I bet half of the guys here with truly rare games usually never play 'em because - well - they suck.

Stick with collecting good, fun games rather than lusting over the rare crap. Because "rare" often does equate with "crap."
    Here here!

Its a nice thought to go and get alot of games...but once done what are you going to do with them? Sure ive got lots of games, some rare stuff , but alot of them just sit on a shelf. For all intensive purposes 'Rare' is very relative to the item and to the collector at large. I could easily have the only beta copy of a build for Frogger on the PS. Ok its rare, but does anyone care? Nope, no one but me and maybe a few other yahoos and even then its not like ones trying to out bid another to take it away from me.

When it comes down to it what am I suppose to do every day, sit and do nothing but play games? Hell i've been playing for a good 23 years and theres NO way i'd ever want to just sit and play games. Hell the only thing ive even played with any regluarity over the last 2 weeks has been Nintendogs. I'm not sitting around doing nothing but playing my OMG R@R3 NWC cart. Hell even if you had it, the best you can do is play it for like 10 minutes at a time.

This isnt a competition. If it was most everyone here would have turned our badges in to the collectors with more games than even THEY can shake a stick at.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm agreeing with Sniderman here. My collection isn't huge or anything. I have a couple of R7s, but that's where it tops out for me, rarity-wise. And I can't say that any of them captivated me, gameplay-wise. I've got some fun R6s, though!

And I can't speak for the R8s and R9s, but I didn't have to pay through the nose for those few R7s that I've got, probably because they're obscure and not known for their outrageous extreme fun. I picked them up mostly out of curiosity, because they were oddball titles.

Personally, I think you're better off figuring out what kinds of stuff you'd like to play, and concentrating on that. If it turns out that something you'd like to play is rare, well, then go for it! But buying stuff just because it's rare is one of the late stage collecting disease symptoms. Don't be all in a hurry to rush the course of your illness.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't forget all these ratings are focusing on America. A trip to Japan can give you dozens of R7-R9 titles. Its just a matter of money.
    Guns don't kill people,
    Chuck Norris kills people!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you are trying to be a collector with only valuable games in mind, you are in the wrong mindset. Start buying the games that you love to play and can enjoy the most. I have almost 100 games and the rarest one is an R4 maybe an R5. I'm not hell bent on getting games based on the rarity itself. If I see a rare game in the wild for very cheap I will gladly pick it up. But I'm not going to shell out hundreds of dollars for a rare game that I would never enjoy playing.

Some more advice, stop whining and grow up.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a hint:

Collect what you enjoy. What's the point of trying to collect nothing but rare stuff? It's surely nice to find a random rareity here and there, and it will surely happen sooner or later, but don't fret over it. "

TRUTH!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Quote Originally Posted by mills
    I'd like to say the same thing, albeit in a nicer way. It's this whole "I'm just a kid!" mindset that's not sitting well with me and compels me to impart a few words.

I'm going to first point out that you actually answered your question: You're just a kid, so don't worry so much! I'm guessing you probably still live at home and have Dad and Mom taking care of you fine. Great. Assuming this is the case, then you are entirely too young to be so preoccupied with owning material goods. Seriously: this is not a healthy mindset. Wait until you've got to worry about making house and car payments, feeding your own kids, etc. That's the time to worry. There's no point in giving yourself an ulcer now (or anytime) simply because you've convinced yourself that you must own an NWC cart for your life to have any meaning.

Having said that, if you're serious about collecting, then being "just a kid" can also be a pretty lame excuse for inaction and laziness on your part. When I worked in a retail PC shop, I once got a phone call from a boy who sounded about 12 years old. He really wanted a computer badly and asked about some specifications and pricing. Once he realized that these things cost about $1500, he said exactly what you're saying, "What am I supposed to do? I'm just a kid!" To which I suggested maybe getting a paper route or mowing some lawns. He gasped in horror and hung up.

Here on DP I know we've got quite a few enterprising young people under 18 years of age who have impressive collections that they have earned predominantly on their own through trades, Ebay and - God forbid - getting a job and saving up some cash. One young fella who comes to mind even owns 2 or 3 arcade machines paid for out of his own pocket. I don't think he got them by wringing his hands and lamenting his age. He got them through saving and hunting. Novel ideas, yes?

Lastly, many people on, myself included, have Rooms of Doom, yes. However, I have also seen people display Closets of Doom, Shelves of Doom and even Under the Bed Boxes of Doom. To the community's credit, I have never seen someone on this board respond to these smaller collections by saying "Dude, you ain't got jack squat compared to me!" Everybody starts and finishes in different places. It's not a race. It's about celebrating the hobby with like-minded people. No two collections are alike and no one gets turned away for however little or much they bring to the table.

Just relax and enjoy the hobby without thinking you've got to outdo anybody. Mark my words: When hobbies become obsessions they cease to be any fun whatsoever.

I'm am officially all out of preaching gas.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very well put.

I don't see myself having a room of doom for a few more years. In which will most likely contain many games and systems I enjoyed while growing up along with some paraphanelia from that era. Right now all I have is a "TV STAND" of doom! Hahaha. But I am proud of it because I alot of my favorite titles Like some Castlevania games in mint condition boxed and Final Fantasy 3.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon
    I'd like to say the same thing, albeit in a nicer way. It's this whole "I'm just a kid!" mindset that's not sitting well with me and compels me to impart a few words.

I'm going to first point out that you actually answered your question: You're just a kid, so don't worry so much! I'm guessing you probably still live at home and have Dad and Mom taking care of you fine. Great. Assuming this is the case, then you are entirely too young to be so preoccupied with owning material goods. Seriously: this is not a healthy mindset. Wait until you've got to worry about making house and car payments, feeding your own kids, etc. That's the time to worry. There's no point in giving yourself an ulcer now (or anytime) simply because you've convinced yourself that you must own an NWC cart for your life to have any meaning.

Having said that, if you're serious about collecting, then being "just a kid" can also be a pretty lame excuse for inaction and laziness on your part. When I worked in a retail PC shop, I once got a phone call from a boy who sounded about 12 years old. He really wanted a computer badly and asked about some specifications and pricing. Once he realized that these things cost about $1500, he said exactly what you're saying, "What am I supposed to do? I'm just a kid!" To which I suggested maybe getting a paper route or mowing some lawns. He gasped in horror and hung up.

Here on DP I know we've got quite a few enterprising young people under 18 years of age who have impressive collections that they have earned predominantly on their own through trades, Ebay and - God forbid - getting a job and saving up some cash. One young fella who comes to mind even owns 2 or 3 arcade machines paid for out of his own pocket. I don't think he got them by wringing his hands and lamenting his age. He got them through saving and hunting. Novel ideas, yes?

Lastly, many people on, myself included, have Rooms of Doom, yes. However, I have also seen people display Closets of Doom, Shelves of Doom and even Under the Bed Boxes of Doom. To the community's credit, I have never seen someone on this board respond to these smaller collections by saying "Dude, you ain't got jack squat compared to me!" Everybody starts and finishes in different places. It's not a race. It's about celebrating the hobby with like-minded people. No two collections are alike and no one gets turned away for however little or much they bring to the table.

Just relax and enjoy the hobby without thinking you've got to outdo anybody. Mark my words: When hobbies become obsessions they cease to be any fun whatsoever.

Awesome. Oh and you're totally right about this being a dead horse.

Sniderman is on the money too, as he usually is.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm 23, and until just about a year ago, the rarest games I had according to the guide were R6 too. Since then I've picked up about four R7s and an R8, and while the R8 is crap (Chavez II), I'm proud to say that all my R7 games are at least somewhat fun to play (Raystorm, Herc's Adventures, Starblade Alpha, and Punky Skunk).

Rare games aren't too exciting because despite that they're rare, most aren't worth much because they suck and have no demand. As long as you have patience, you can get a ton of rare games on eBay for a few bucks just by waiting for a copy to be listed. And if they are worth something, usually it's because they REALLY sucked, sold terribly, and are now collectables... that still suck hard.

I'm more interested in valuable games because often times they get value from being good games and a lot of demand for them. Sometimes it can be harder to get a more common but valuable game simply because the price is so prohibitive (and if they show up in the wild, they're snapped up in no time). Since I'm so big on RPGs, I've ended up with a ton of fairly valuable games, many of which I owned before they got their value. A lot of people are impressed when you wave around a really great game worth a lot of dough. People aren't going to give a crap if I tell them I got Chavez II, but they'll be impressed when I pull out Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden 2, Rondo of Blood, and many more.

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon

Very true. I'm 13, and you could call me a kid, and I really don't have anything rare other than 2 R7 which I've found in the last two months. As a kid, I know you don't have alot of money, so try to streach it. Hit up flea markets often, and if game store are having special sales(eg by 2 get 1 free) take advantage of it. Back when GameStop was getting rid of their SNES games I took advantage of the low prices. That's so of the best tips I can give you, as a kid, if you see a good deal, take it.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know being 14,i have only a few rare games,most are Sonic games like Sonic Jam or Knuckles Chaotix. I started with one Sega Genesis and Sonic the Hedgehog 2, since then ive went to gamestop,eb games,ebay, and some other game stores just to find some games. Even though I started with 1 game and One console,look at me now 125 Games and Counting not to mention 12 Systems.Hell if you think about it in 10 years time you will have alot of games because youl start working.So go to gamestop,ebgames,ebay and etc and get some good games who knows you may get lucky and get a Magnavox Oddesy for $10.00,as said on the first page we all have to start somewere.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    A lot of people are impressed when you wave around a really great game worth a lot of dough. People aren't going to give a crap if I tell them I got Chavez II, but they'll be impressed when I pull out Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden 2, Rondo of Blood, and many more.

That's very true. In fact, I bet if I were to put up my complete copies of Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3, Secret of Mana and Phantasy Star 1 and 4 on the buying and selling forum that I'd have more bites then if I was to put up my copies of Kazi Kiri, Raystorm, Super Turrican 2 or my Sega Master System Girl.