Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever felt "finished" collecting?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm currently in a scare like that. Mostly because I haven't bought much in the last month [only 1 game].

It's strange not getting anything new.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm never done collecting NES or SMS games. Those are the two systems that I really love. I'm pretty sick of newer games, so I'm very selective of what I buy in that respect (newer games are considered collecting, right?). Right now the only newer games I really want are for the DS... besides that, NES/SMS all the way, and I haven't gotten sick of it yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

Same thing happened to me, I started collecting about a year ago, and for some reason...I stopped. I stopped around maybe March or April, maybe it was due to lack of $, but now I am more excited than ever and I have started it back up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

I really just want a good SNES collection of all the games I enjoyed when I was younger + a few extra's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know why I suddenly lost the urge to collect, but I'm kinda glad I did as it let me spend my money on stuff I'd wanted for a long time. In the last almost two years I've spent thousands on stuff I just couldn't afford before when I was spending hundreds of dollars on old games...

TiVo
    27" Flat TV
    Mac mini
    20" Cinema Display
    FireWire HD (250GB)
    iPod 10GB (eBay)
    Laptop (iBook)
    Wacom Tablet
    Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse
    DVD Recorder
    PSTwo
    PSP
    DS
    GBA SP
    Lots and lots of stuff.

If I didn't stop collecting I'd be stuck in the stone ages with my iMac G4 700 (15") and 24" TV (Not flat) with no DVD recorder and just an Xbox for DVD's, no laptop, I'd probably have scaped up enough to buy a PSP and DS, the TiVo kind of came before I stopped so I'd probably still have that. No PS2. So I'm kinda glad I stopped. Became more of a gamer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had the finished collecting feeling a number of times. The first time I had it, was at Philly Classic 4. The previous year I was like a kid in a candy shop, I bought a little of everything and had a great time. The following year I showed up and with a stack of money and ended up leaving disappointed with most of what I went with.

Don't get me wrong I managed to pick up a few select items, but went home largely unsatisifed. I collect games either I used to like, or else always wanted and never got a chance to own. I have no desire to collect every game for a system just to say I've done it. Maybe if I were in a different place and time, but that isn't practical for me.

Even right now I've got an extremely small want list. This sometimes makes it tough when going to trade meets and gaming events. But I can tell you the best part of stopping collecting, is getting the chance to actually play what you already own. Then as you work through playing your backlogged purchases, you slowly start to remember other things you want. You begin to collect again only on a smaller more selective scale. One other plus of not "collecting" anymore is the ability to drive past a yard sale or a game store and not stop.