Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ideal way to protect your rarer games!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default The ideal way to protect your rarer games!

I was in my local Tesco lately, and got thinking about how great it would be if I could somehow obtain (Legitimately) some of those great clear plastic cases they use to prevent theft. Seeing as how many items in my collection are worth quite a substantial amount, I thought i'd do a little extra research...

Now I am sur everyone has at one time or another thought about protecting cartain games in their collection? Maybe a mint Radiant Silvergun, or maybe Panzer Dragoon Saga or Suikoden perhaps?

Well, these cases are ideal for that sort of thing, and ensures that no damage will ever come to your most valuable games. Especially useful for N64 / Snes / GameBoy games which come in cardboard cases!

I tracked down the company which makes these products via Google. This is what I found:

What I believe to be the official manufacturer's site:

http://www.mwsecurity.se

And a few other sites selling the products:

http://www.qdtrading.co.uk

http://www.medioeurope.com

They do all sorts of products, and specifically for certain games as well, such as PlayStation and Dvd size box's for everything else...

Protection doesn't come cheap though. A set of 72 Dvd size box's (Shown above) will cost you approx. £165.00! That's roughly £2.30 each.

http://www.qdtrading.co.uk/product_i...products_id=76

A small price to pay to protect your most valuables I suppose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: The ideal way to protect your rarer games!

Maybe a stupid question, but what do these boxes protect against? If it's just physical damages like scratches etc. i'm sure there are cheaper alternatives...

Also imagine having someone break into your house, and the police shows up to investigate and they notice this huge collection of games in those 'security boxes'. I guess you have something to explain then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I got the idea a while ago when I read on eBay about a place that seals vintage MOC Star Wars figures forever to avoid further damage. Especially if they are rated C9+ condition. I thought the same thing could be done with certain videogames that are perhaps valuable. You can quite regularly see sellers selling MOC figures from the 70's / 80's inside these kind of clear plastic box's.

For example, you just bought a factory sealed American copy of FFVII off eBay. You intend to keep it like that for a while as an "Investment" - What better way to protect that investment than one of these box's? At least then you will have peace of mind that the case will not get cracked during storage. Same goes for other collectables like this, IE, sealed NES games which some people pay a fortune for!

Also, if you are a "Mature" collector, and have children roaming around, it's a good way to A) Protect them from getting accidently damaged, and B) To protect them from being used by the children, which usually results in (A) anyway.

So to answer your question, they protect against accidental damage of potential investments. And it's not as if you'd have to kit out every single game with them - Jut your most valuable ones.

Ie, I have a few fatory sealed games which are worth a mint which I would single out and protect. Paper Mario; Suikoden; Vandal Hearts II; Samba De Amigo; Evolution II; Space Channel 5 Part II... And a whole load of my sealed American PSone games which have increased in value.

Basically, i'd seal up anything worth over $100 and / or £50

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

This reminds me of another topic I've wanted to discuss. Do you think at any time we will see a grading system for video games? It's been common practice for years with sports cards, and recently a company called Action Figure Authority has started grading action figures. For people who collect sealed games, particularly as an investment, I can see this as being a way to check to make sure the games are factory sealed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar
    This reminds me of another topic I've wanted to discuss. Do you think at any time we will see a grading system for video games? It's been common practice for years with sports cards, and recently a company called Action Figure Authority has started grading action figures. For people who collect sealed games, particularly as an investment, I can see this as being a way to check to make sure the games are factory sealed.
    You mean like the "R" grading we have on here? Personally, i'd love to see a grading system similar to what they have for vintage Star Wars figures (Something I think Flack will know a lot about)

That'll then sort out the men from the boys and finally place sealed copies in the same league as their unsealed counterparts.

Just think how much easier it would be buying games on eBay if everyone used a universal grading system. You could instantly rule out any sub-standard auctions, and cut down on the amount of time you spend searching for what you really want.

I personally think that certain games are worthy of this kind of protection. I know a few people with factory sealed copies of Radiant Silvergun, which are worth £200+, yet they ar left floating about like any other game. I know if that were me, i'd be wanting to protect it any way I could.

At least this way is preferable to wrapping it up in bubbles, and a box, and storing it out of sight ~ This way you can still enjoy and appreciate the item without fear of it getting damaged in any way

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I could see that happening if someone became the true authority on value, DP is the closest thing to that on videogames that I know of and I don't see them going down that path. I'm not sure I would want to spend the money to get them "valued" anyway.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix
    ust bought a factory sealed American copy of FFVII off eBay. You intend to keep it like that for a while as an "Investment" - What better way to protect that investment than one of these box's? At least then you will have peace of mind that the case will not get cracked during storage. Same goes for other collectables like this, IE, sealed NES games which some people pay a fortune for!
    The big problem here, is that you're NOT sealing it. Meaning air is still getting in, and if you're going to pay that much for a case to keep them in. You're going to want it airtight. I have 3 sealed odyssey 2 board game cartridges, that aren't sealed anymore per se due to the fact that the shrinkwrap kept shrinking. If you're going to spend that much to put sealed valuables in (especially cardboard) you're going to want it airtight, REALLY sealed.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I keep all my games in large tupperware bins indoors and this is as good as I can do.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Face it, the hardware is gonna be useless someday, you can't really store it for eternity.

For my part I keep them all in showcases behind smoked black glass. No sunfading etc.
    Guns don't kill people,
    Chuck Norris kills people!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Btw reminds me of a friends story. He was playing Dracula X for PCE mint with a friend (dopehead). While playing he went to toilet. When he came back he saw the spine wa missing and the friend smoking a "wrap"
    Guns don't kill people,
    Chuck Norris kills people!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    The big problem here, is that you're NOT sealing it. Meaning air is still getting in, and if you're going to pay that much for a case to keep them in. You're going to want it airtight. I have 3 sealed odyssey 2 board game cartridges, that aren't sealed anymore per se due to the fact that the shrinkwrap kept shrinking. If you're going to spend that much to put sealed valuables in (especially cardboard) you're going to want it airtight, REALLY sealed.
    No to mention that the plastic doesn't protect against UV rays which can cause fading.

Still i think the security case is kind of cool because it looks a real store case. I'd be tempted to get a store rack and a bunch of those cases and use that for my display. It'd certainly suprise anyone taking a look at it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Yamazaki
    Btw reminds me of a friends story. He was playing Dracula X for PCE mint with a friend (dopehead). While playing he went to toilet. When he came back he saw the spine wa missing and the friend smoking a "wrap"
    Ok that's the kind of friend who's gonna get stabbed in a dark alley one night. Seriously, who the hell uses someone elses label or other paper product for that kind of things? If you wanna have a smoke you should bring your own wraps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    No to mention that the plastic doesn't protect against UV rays which can cause fading.

Still i think the security case is kind of cool because it looks a real store case. I'd be tempted to get a store rack and a bunch of those cases and use that for my display. It'd certainly suprise anyone taking a look at it.
    Now there's an idea. Although one drawback with this is that it would appear that you were a prolific kleptomaniac. Not good. :/

ust bought a factory sealed American copy of FFVII off eBay. You intend to keep it like that for a while as an "Investment" - What better way to protect that investment than one of these box's? At least then you will have peace of mind that the case will not get cracked during storage. Same goes for other collectables like this, IE, sealed NES games which some people pay a fortune for!
    True. But that sort of technology I would imagine is expensive. I assume the box's the above mentioned Star wars carded figures go in are indeed airtight.

However, there is shrinkwrapped games and then there is factory sealed cellophaned games. The latter of which would not suffer from your mentioned problem, such as PSone or N64 games

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Everyone knows the best way to protect your collection is with an armed Sothy.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Now there's an idea. Although one drawback with this is that it would appear that you were a prolific kleptomaniac. Not good. :/
    Who says i'm not? .

I've seen many Klepto's in my day, but never one that actually stole the god damned rack so i don't think it'll be a problem.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think this was previously discussed on this board, although I don't remember for sure. Otherwise, I discussed it somewhere...

The basic idea everyone came upon was that they probably wouldn't be graded, at least not for a long time. The thing is most video games are only worth a few bucks. The few that are worth a lot more could be graded, but what would the point be? A lot of the grading services cost a decent amount of money, so you probably won't send stuff in unless it is at least worth $100+. There aren't that many games that rank up there, and you can generally decide yourself how good they are.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speaking of protecting your games. Does anyone know where I can pick up more of these plastic box covers? I picked up about a hundred or so about a year or so ago but lost the eBay seller's contact info and can't seem to find them anywhere now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only problem with protecting your games that way is that in the case that somebody breaks into your house, they know exactly where to go when they see a bunch of games in store protective cases. I have never tried, but I bet if somebody wanted to, they could break one of those open with a hammer or something pretty easy. Me, personally, since I moved to my new place, the only games I keep out are games that not many people around me would want (everybody I know has consoles, and I keep my gba games out).

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges
    The only problem with protecting your games that way is that in the case that somebody breaks into your house, they know exactly where to go when they see a bunch of games in store protective cases. I have never tried, but I bet if somebody wanted to, they could break one of those open with a hammer or something pretty easy. Me, personally, since I moved to my new place, the only games I keep out are games that not many people around me would want (everybody I know has consoles, and I keep my gba games out).
    That's why you should protect your collection. Get an alarm or better yet rig a shotgun to the door. That way if any breaks in the certainly won't make it out. Plus the plasic cases will keep the games safe from the chunky mess.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    Speaking of protecting your games. Does anyone know where I can pick up more of these plastic box covers? I picked up about a hundred or so about a year or so ago but lost the eBay seller's contact info and can't seem to find them anywhere now.

I'm also looking for that too. Let me know if you are able to find more.