View Poll Results: Will the Revolution Controller be revealed at TGS?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep and Mario 128 will be shown demoing the new features of the controller

22 29.73%
  • Sort of. We'll understand parts of the controller but will be left wanting more!

28 37.84%
  • Nope. Nintendo will play it close to the vest!

24 32.43%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the Revolution Controller be revealed at TGS?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I'm at a loss for words, that's not what I was expecting at all. I was expecting something along the lines of the image sabre2922 posted, that would have been a good competent controller. I'll have to judge for myself though, it's going to be weird playing games with one hand and having the other attached by a small wire, on the plus side its omni dexterous.

No one who hasn't used this yet should really comment weather its good or bad. All in all I'm kind of skeptical on this one. At first glance developers aren't going to like this though.
    Why don't you go play in the other room. Why don't you BURN IN HELL!! - Stewie.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno, as more of a "casual gamer" myself, I find an ocean of buttons all over a controller off-putting. By comparison, this looks...well...simpler. As if the games might be more approachable.

Are you sure you're not confusing the average consumer with the hardcore gamer?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphor Dot Fossils
    I dunno, as more of a "casual gamer" myself, I find an ocean of buttons all over a controller off-putting. By comparison, this looks...well...simpler. As if the games might be more approachable.

Are you sure you're not confusing the average consumer with the hardcore gamer?
    Causal gamers like things to be simple, but they also like them to be the same. The Rev control looks akward. Too many buttons is one thing but how do you think they'll respond to 3d movement, tilt sensing, and that god damn seperate analog stick? I think it's going to be far more akward for the casual gamer. Of course the only way to know for sure is to let the casual gamer play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

I think it's a weird concept as they're primary controller. I agree with the few of you have been saying that it wouldn't be bad if it was an optional item, as opposed to the main way of controlling anything. It's really hard to make a judgement based solely on the pictures and reviews, though. I'll have to wait till it comes out and I get a chance to play with it to see how well it holds up (and my arms hold up).

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exactly. I'm not even going to pass judgement until I've gotten to play the thing for myself, but as far as first appearances...I guess I'm not as put off by it as some people are.

Then again, almost nobody markets games to folks like me anymore. :P

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

fatigue during long play sessions
    A very valid point IMO...at work we used to have a show where we had to use a gyroscopic mouse for 30 minutes...after that amount of time my hand would usually start to get fatigued.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    Quote Originally Posted by le geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Phosphor Dot Fossils
    http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/15/commentary/game_over/revolution/index.htm?cnn=yes

This article spells things out pretty clearly. Interesting stuff.

Time will tell.
    Yep the Sort ofs have it. Going from the pictures I thought WTF. But it's sounds potentially awesome, getting closer to VR. But I wonder about:

fatigue during long play sessions
    will it work for all genres
    what about folks wil Carpal Tunnel

But the big deal is will developers bite?

Cheers,
    Ben
    For gamer's it's an interesting idea, but from a business stand point i have to classify it as:

COMPLETELY FUCKING INSANE!!!

I mean how do you make a cross platform game with that? For Rev exclusive i think it'll probably work just fine but for multi platform it's going to be akward.

It's just too different to catch the average gamer. It so different it's scary. It sounds functional, but it's just too far away from the norm.
    For once njiska my man I agree with you COMPLETELY AND WHOLEHEARTEDLY.

This is just KILLING ME the thought of NO Nintendo systems (other than handheld) NO Sega systems and only Sony and freakin Microsoft to choose from is a hellish nightmare of a thought for a real gamer.

You've got to look at the bigger picture here this will cut 3rd party support down to a trickle and many popular game franchises will be unplayable with this console plain and simple can anyone imagine playing ANY KINDS OF SPORTS GAME WITH THIS THING?

No matter how mush we may argue amonst oursleves and not like it the SPORTS GENRES are what makes or breaks a system in North america and many other parts of the world.
    Can you imagine playing madden or GTA or Final Fantasy with this thing? I SURE AS HELL CANT.

This is just killing me

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm estatic that i can now play my favorite DVD's on a Nintendo system!!

Oh wait...thats the controller.

As for the person hoping you can turn it on its side and play like an NES controller....how do you do that if your left hand (using the D-pad) rubs right over the power button?

Anyway...

Goodbye Nintendo.

Not from making systems, but the final goodbye from me. I's say more, but i'm at a complete loss.

p.s. Nintendo went nuts years ago.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has everyone forgot that you can still use gamecube controllers to play ports, and n64-nes games.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

playing the DS for a while can hurt your hand too, with the Metroid Prime: Hunters control scheme...but they released it anyway.

In all honesty, I'm just trying to figure out how they are going to give us Mario 128, how will the new Mario game use all of the features as real gameplay elements and not completely gimmicked out the window.

You've got to hand it to them though - They are thinking very hard about what they are doing, the don't want to be anything like the other two big companies - who pretty much are following a stale model - sure the traditional setup lets us play the games that we know how to play - But I really think that this can open up new doors for gaming...

The hype machine really destroyed this for everyone, especially with that fake Nintendo ON movie made a while back. But, the developers are really keen on the idea. Hell Hideo Kojima praise it already - we're really going to be seeing some different games. This new scheme coupled with online gaming is going to be very interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Jesus Christ.... those are just awful.

Where's the analog controller? Will it turn my TV on and off?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs

As for the person hoping you can turn it on its side and play like an NES controller....how do you do that if your left hand (using the D-pad) rubs right over the power button?
    I'm sure that the power button is just like the DS power button, which would also be easy to push and shut the system off - had it not controlled the way that it does in that you've got to push and hold it. Eh, who knows.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by grayrobertos
    Has everyone forgot that you can still use gamecube controllers to play ports, and n64-nes games.
    Doesn't matter. A system should not judged by an old controller. The GC controller is completely irrelevant to this debate. Although i do wish it was the primary one.

God Damn Nintendo . Stop doing this . It's bad for business . Good for potential, but most likely bad for business.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes im sure were all well aware of that fact but developers will not make NEW REVOLUTION GAMES WITH THE GAMECUBE CONTROLLER IN MIND.

You cannot make a game for a system designed for a controller that isnt the standard controller and hope for it to be successful.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no it does matter. There not saying lets play n64 games with this new pad. Also surely MS and sony have just used there old controllers?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska

God Damn Nintendo . Stop doing this . It's bad for business . Good for potential, but most likely bad for business.
    I'm feeling the same way - a little bit hopeful - but essentially confused and befuddled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is the end....the only end my friend

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

no it does matter. There not saying lets play n64 games with this new pad. Also surely MS and sony have just used there old controllers?
    The PS3 and 360 are STOCK SYSTEM CONTROLLERS. They are the main controller. If the GC controller was the main revolution controller then it would be relevant, but it's not. Besides the Revolution isn't just an emulator, that what an Xbox is for, the revolution is a new system and new games will NOT take the GC controller into account. If they do then the revolution control is completely fucking pointless which just makes this situation even more bizzare.

So i repeat:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

Wow.. I really don't know what to say. The thought of waving my hands around just to control a game is a real turn off to me - no thanks. But I really can't wait to try it to see what it's actually like. Who knows... maybe they've actually got something cool here. Crazy... wow.