View Poll Results: Will the Revolution Controller be revealed at TGS?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep and Mario 128 will be shown demoing the new features of the controller

22 29.73%
  • Sort of. We'll understand parts of the controller but will be left wanting more!

28 37.84%
  • Nope. Nintendo will play it close to the vest!

24 32.43%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the Revolution Controller be revealed at TGS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JB Lars
    PSN
    JBLars

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    In fact, I can envision one day, that when we play games, we will actually wear a special shirt and pants that actually have all kinds of tactile feedback sensors all over them.
    You gotta be kidding. I already ruined one pair of pants when the dogs came through the window in the first "Resident Evil". Now you want me to contend with pants that have electricity?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JB Lars
    OH NOES! IT'S the DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!

Bring it on. Nintendo's profitable, even with the last two console "failures". I can play games with "normal" control on other machines. I can't wait to see what this can do.

Hell, where do I go to buy Nintendo stock? With all the sky-is-faliing over this, the price is gonna have to drop. I wanna be laughing when the Revolution still does what every Nintendo machine is designed to do: Play games and earn money.
    I hope your right I just dont think its going to happen that way this time around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GimmeSomeReggae

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas

"I love the Power Glove... It's so bad."
    -A Boy
    Hmph.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sort of reminds me of Edison. In the prime of his career he was a brilliant inventor giving us things like the lightbulb, but by the end he was trying to communicate with the dead and building concrete chairs.

Side note; Any one that claims it will be good for racing games is smoking crack, or doesnt actually play racing games.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People with 100"+ projector screens need not apply. I don't think this will work for you.

Now that I've said that...

Everybody check out the Teaser video that was shown during the speech HERE. Also notice how the controller in the video is not the same that they showed. It has two extra buttons Z1 & Z2 on the top. And the two buttons on the end are labeled X and Y. Interesting--you heard it here first.

You know I could probably fill pages up with my thoughts and questions regarding this, but I wont. I just want to say a few things:

1) Thank you, Nintendo. You have opened the door for new ideas and concepts.
    2) Damn you, Nintendo. For basically killing traditional Mario and Zelda games. They just wont work.
    3) Arm fatigue. It's inevitable. And it's the scariest part of this for me.
    4) It is damn sexy.
    5) I don't think this will fly in America. Seems to fit well for Japan though.
    6) Pilotwings is a perfect fit. And I think Tony Hawk would work really well too. You'd have to simplify it a bit, but just think how you'd actually control the balance, etc.

Meh, that's it for now...

And thank's to Planet Gamecube for responding back FAST and clearing this up for me:
    "Z1 and Z2 are the triggers on the analog stick module (i.e. the left
    nunchuk). X and Y are just alternate labels for the small a and b buttons.
    I'm sure Nintendo just hasn't decided what to call them yet.

Jonathan Metts
    Director, PlanetGameCube.com"

Left nunchuk? That's great. Let the name calling begin. =)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by poopnes
    People with 100"+ projector screens need not apply. I don't think this will work for you.

And what the hell is that supposed to mean? Just because I have a Movie Theater in my Garage, it doesn't mean that I'm not cultured. It also doesn't mean that I'm a hardcore graphics whore that has no interest in the Revolution.

Oh, yeah, I guess it does.

Just kidding.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my first reaction was tears...not really, but close...i couldnt believe what i was seeing, it was like some sort of nightmare...but as i read about everything it could do, I realized just how awesome the Revolution is going to be...we are gunna see so many wicked Rev only games I can't wait...the possibilites are endless, you can attach so many different things to that 'remote'

I cant wait to start chopping people up with my Rev controller in some sort of Fantasy Sword game , and that thing is gunna be even better than KB&M for FPS!

I Heart Nintendo
    Avenger Out

DC Underground

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Quote Originally Posted by poopnes

And what the hell is that supposed to mean? Just because I have a Movie Theater in my Garage, it doesn't mean that I'm not cultured. It also doesn't mean that I'm a hardcore graphics whore that has no interest in the Revolution.

Oh, yeah, I guess it does.

Just kidding.
    I knew I'd get your attention. =) But seriously I don't think the Rev will work with that kind of set up. Since these "sensors" have to be put on or under the TV. But they haven't said much, so what do any of us know? Just a heads up.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

im sure it will be fine to place the sensors in front of you without a tv there, they should still pick up your movement, its just more convenient to have them on/around your tv
    Avenger Out

DC Underground

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of course, I can't comment on the quality of the controller until it actually is, well, available . But I had a couple thoughts:

How does it work for a 4-player game? Can one set of sensors read the locations of multiple controllers, or do you need to have separate sensors? I wonder if positioning will be awkward with a few people, say, if they have to each be in front of their own sensor, etc.

Also, assuming I don't get one at launch, my first experience would be at an in-store display, and I can picture that being troublesome, knowing that people might mess with it (although they'd probably have the sensors inside the kiosk). And finding the right spot for playing might be weird.

But maybe I'm just thinking about how hard it was sometimes to get a light-gun calibrated right. I guess this is a lot more advanced than a Stunner.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the way i see it working is that it has a switch to say if your 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th player...and the sensor will work for all of them cuz having 4 sets of sensors would just be ridiculous...

Im excited to get me one of these
    Avenger Out

DC Underground

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As always final judgement will come after i've used it. I do dig the new possibilities this controller is promising. Hopefully 3rd parties will jump on this. We bitch about lack of originality, developers do too. Hopefully we can all finally be able to shut up for awhile.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I really hope this isn't an infrared controller as well, as it could be quite laggy. Especially after the wireless WaveBird controller. Why could they not just keep the WaveBird design and just expand on that? Sony and MicroSoft have more or less stuck with their two classic designs.

I'll also add that the build quality looks really poor. I can just imagine the extra add-on's snapping out of their "Home" whilst playing. I can also foresee third party developers creating "Traditional" style pads too, to keep consumers happy. As there clearly WILL be a demand for a traditional style controller

And is it me, or has anyone else noticed the distinct lack of buttons here? I see an "A" button, and a "B" button underneath, but there are so many other buttons missing. What? No triggers? Will this also mean that newer games will be very simplified? This'll be an xtra nail in the coffin for third party developers (Such as EA) who will inevitably decide NOT to develop for the Nintendo due to the controls being too different from Xbox and PlayStation ones, which tend to share the same amount of buttons, and similar button configurations as each other.

I think Nintendo ar playing games with us, and this may just be ONE controller design which they plan to release. I bet (And hope) they have a secret up their sleeve which they will anounce later closer to the Revolution release date. That announcement being the fact that they do intend to have a proper "Traditional" controller, and this is only the remote control fo rthe Revolution which CAN double up as an extra controller if you so wished. Which is probably most likely.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger
    the way i see it working is that it has a switch to say if your 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th player...and the sensor will work for all of them cuz having 4 sets of sensors would just be ridiculous...
    Yeah, that would be bad, but I wonder how well the sensors can pick up 4 different controllers for Smash Bros., as some people would be sitting at the left or right edges of the sensors range. Unless you have to play sitting single-file.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger
    Im excited to get me one of these
    Me too! At least it's something to wonder about. Xbox360 and PS3 are easy to get -- super graphics, HDTV, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that, and it is exciting, but I don't feel like reading about them much. I'm content to wait until they come out.

But the Revolution has me wanting more info NOW, and leaves me imagining what the possibilities are for the system.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix
    I really hope this isn't an infrared controller as well, as it could be quite laggy. Especially after the wireless WaveBird controller. Why could they not just keep the WaveBird design and just expand on that? Sony and MicroSoft have more or less stuck with their two classic designs.
    From everything i've seen and heard i'd say it's a save bet that this controller isn't IR. But then again it's got one of those giant IR lens thingys so who knows. I figure it's just some extra function though, since Nintendo has already done such a great job with the Wavebird.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All I can say is that I'm excited. The controller is plainly simple yet modular to allow developers to expand it to the proper complexity to fit the app. Nintendo has obvoiusly cut themselves from the herd with this new "paradigm". They made some outlandish promises and they delivered. The design will resonate well in mass market (I suspect) due to the iPod-iness futuristic/minimalist look. It suprises me, alot, to see so many of our own @ DP see this as The End or the final nail. I belive that Nintendo is deliberately setting themselves apart from the other guys... they tried to play ball with the GC and look where that got them. It's called the Revolution for a reason guys... sheesh.

If Nintendo does fall away, I'm sure the PS3 or 4 will adopt many parts of the "new paradigm" and everyone that ignored the Rev. will be all "Sony is teh Roolz yo!"

I remember a time, not long ago, there was a change called analog. Most people (that I knew) that played games were all "WTF!?!" then too. Funny thing is analog controls predated digital. It's circular people... everything old is new again... given time. I thought this was the retro-gamers manifesto. Maybe I'm just naive on this one?

Now for the other side of the coin. This does have the potential to end badly for Nintendo. It may be too much change from convention too soon. It could even alienate or intimidate gamers... again, only time will tell.

Still, I can't wait to play this thing! Gimmee the different, weird and new. I can handle it.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I like it.

/me imagines the special edition or third party addons, like...LIGHTSABER BLADES. Holy FUCK would I buy a star wars saber battle game if my controller could be all glowly and work right.

Can anyone else sense a DUCK HUNT remake as a pack in? I know I can. And the idea of turning it on it's side is great too, and the analog unit...awesome (could probably use more cord though).

I am so onboard with this shit. But they better make my goddamn Mother 3 this round.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It came to me on the drive home.

A Star Wars game on the Revolution.

A Star Wars game where the controller IS your lightsaber.

Mary, mother of Jesus. I may get this at launch too if such a beast is revealed to be forthcoming.

EDIT: Hey, great minds think alike!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you think about it...the PS3 and the 360 are the same damn system...standard console, standard games, standard controllers, which was the same for PS2 Xbox and Gamecube...no wonder Gamecube got knocked out. there isnt room for 3 identical systems in the market...yes they all have exclusives but any game could be doneo n any of the systems.

Nintendo's got the right idea, let Sony and Microsoft do the same old stuff. they will both do fine. but with the Revolution guve us something DIFFERENT, something to make us say "hey i have a 360, and hell i even have a PS3, but I REALLY want a Revolution also"...

This is the same thing that they did with the DS....which by the way just keeps getting better and more unique with every release...

Just wait, its gunna be sweet I'm looking forward to something new

time to brainstorm all the possible games, and hell yes for a lightsaber game, you know they will do it, its probably the first thing every Star Wars fan thought when they saw the controller!
    Avenger Out

DC Underground