View Poll Results: Will the Revolution Controller be revealed at TGS?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep and Mario 128 will be shown demoing the new features of the controller

22 29.73%
  • Sort of. We'll understand parts of the controller but will be left wanting more!

28 37.84%
  • Nope. Nintendo will play it close to the vest!

24 32.43%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the Revolution Controller be revealed at TGS?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Somehow I doubt that we'll be seeing Street Fighter __ on the new Nintendo system.

as much as I'm lifting up one eyebrow about this news - I've VERY excited to see some launch games.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

My initial thought: WTF?

After reading about it, and seeing the demo video: WTF?

I don't see this really turning things around and bringing Nintendo back to its former glory--I see it as trying too hard to be different than the rest. I was all about the DS, but I think this is just a bit too much.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I appreciate the fact that Nintendo has balls for creativity.. especially in this day and age.

What strikes me as odd is that they have to regain some of the core market now, as they are trailing the other two big systems. And to me, this is the last thing that they should do. I mean, who wants to give that thing a chance? From the looks of it, I'd need at least a ten-minute tutorial on every game. A casual gamer is gonna say "Where they hell is my 18 button, three joystick controller that rumbles when I get hit?... the one with the kung-fu grip?" I don't understand how this helps them regain the hearts and minds of the average gamer.

People don't like change, and from what I've read in news reports, Sony is thinking of changing their controller after the boomerang crap design they have now for the PS3.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09...s_6133405.html

I bet Sony will make it look more like the current controller, and take it in the exact opposite direction that Nintendo's going in.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i do agree that regular ppl (madonites and haloites) are less likely to buy the revolution now, though i think it was unlikely they would buy it in the firest place. However, i think that its good for nintendo AND the whole industry to break away from the norm and try something more different than just new graphic engines. One thing that I wonder is how the hell are you gonna be able to play nintendo's library of old games with this new controller? I thought that was gonna be one of the revolutions big draws, but now I am not so sure.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that's why you can plug the old GCN controller into the unit.... to play the old games. And the NES games can easily be played using the new controller sideways, with D-Pad and A,B buttons.

Don't remember right now: could you only plug in the cube controllers, or the N64 ones as well?
    Smarsh the Barstuds!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WOW

I just watched the video and saw the pics for the first time. WOW.

Far as I'm concerned, Nintendo has a winner here. I haven't been this excited about a Nintendo idea since Mario 64. The first-party games for this will be UNBELIEVABLE.

And with that said, this DOES NOT AFFECT their third party situation in the least. That's WHY they have a second set of controller ports for Wavebirds, etc... Their third party situation will likely be about the same as it was on Gamecube, which is "okay", not terminal, not great, but "okay". But I think that the best first-party Nintendo games EVER will come out of this idea.

Who do I write the check to?

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    For the price increase on both system and games all you're getting from Sony and Microsoft is bigger and better specs. Whoopee new graphics cards.
    But that's what I want. That's what alot of people want. Better looking, more detailed, bigger games with smarter AI. Why does Iwata think that the industry is stagnating? Gaming continues to increase in profitability and popularity, globally if not locally in Japan. New gaming genres (in a large part driven by spec increases, ala GTA) continue to change the face of gaming. You can't shake the feeling that Nintendo is telling us what we want. It's not even that big of a jump in control (hello Powerglove); it's just big enough to alienate 3rd parties and discourage cross-platform ports, just as the N64 cartridges did and to some extent the custom GameCube disc format did. This is a forced evolution in control, and as such, it stands less likely to revolutionize anything.
    THIS is what nintendo does. Did they ask anyone before they released the analong stick on the N64 and created THE game that all 3D platformers would then be held to in comparison? They revolutinized the industry with that.

I am in total agreeance with Daria's first post. I will get this at launch.

Everyone is shitting on its shape and saying its too much, its to different. Thats fine to think, but without that next step we will continue to have the same control schemed games.

And the earlier posts about those who are saying that they wont play stuff with a Cube controller on the 'next' system. Ya all better put your fucking PS2 AND PS3 controllers down. The Dual Shock 2 is just the Dual shock with button sensitivity. Hell its in the SAME CASEMOLD. The PS3 controller beyond wireless... offers you a smooth boomarang look, no new buttons, no new control feelings. NOTHING. The X360 looks like a wireless and slightly case modded Type-S controller. Thats also not much in the Innovation department, but hey, as long as its all the same who gives a rats ass.

So far when ANY other control scheme has been developed for the other systems (Eye-Toy comes to mind) It recieves what Sony tends to do with its perhifials. Short support. And due to that lack of support it died. Where are all those games with Eye-Toy support in em? I can count less than a dozen american releases and dont get me started with the HDD for the PS2 and its whopping 2 games of support. Wheres the PSX? Still in Japan where its dead there too. because of a lack of support.

Innovation is what in the end run will keep people buying. The easy innovation is the graphic cards, because we LOOK at games, but once we realise that hey, this is basically doing exactly what my XBox or PS2 or Cube is already capable of, then why buy? Like all big businesses the gaming industy will just as easily fall into that rut of making the same stuff year in and out. Look at the glut of stuff in japan, sales are down there for a reason. American developers dont take lots of risks and we get lots of GTA style clones and sports rehashes.

It was about time for a new jolt. If some developers actually get innovative with this, the controller is going to be fucking amazing. If not Nintendo will still have its loyal following and they will still pull yearly profits as they take their next steps down the road.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I think it's time I posted my opinion

I am of the opinion that this controller is going to be awesome

I am pumped for it, I honestly think it's a way better Idea than the PS3 and Xbox 360 rehashed controllers,

well they may be good, I applaud Nintendo for this move and look forward to buying one on launch day.

but than again when I use it maybe I won't like it, I do reserve judgement for when I use it but I am still pumped for it, I can't believe everyone that is saying this is a big failure this is anything but a failure, Great Job Nintendo

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    You're missing my point, and taking it somewhat personally or something x_x
    Not at all, aparently you're just missing *my* point.

Gaming controllers have evolved since the days of Atari to the current standards out of the needs of the games they control.
    And is there any reason to believe that they won't continue to evolve?

Gimmicky control schemes dictated by the need to be "unique" as opposed to the needs of current games and developers have historically failed to take off (see the Intellivision controller, see the Powerglove, see those silly yellow buttons on the N64 controller, etc.).
    And how about when the gimmick does suceed? Games have evolved greatly with the inventions of such devices as the mouse and the analog stick. Hell everyone screamed gimmick when the DS was revealed and it's not doing too shabbily now is it?

The current trends in gaming don't necessitate this sort of control style. Did you really feel something was "lacking" before Nintendo showed off this controller?
    Exactly it's the current "trend", that's a very temporary phrase you're using there. Gaming technology will continue to evolve, but not if companies like Sony and Microsoft are content on simply upgrading their machines with bigger and better graphics cards. Yes it's the "safe" route in a buisness sense, and that's why they'll always continue to follow it.

And did I really? Yes, the most fun I've had this generation has been with Nintendo's "gimmicks". Jungle Beat, Zelda Four Swords, and the majority of the DS library. I love nothing better then a game or system that strives to do something new. I've certainly have enjoyed conventional games as well, I always will. But I don't see why there isn't room in the industry for both. It's as ridiculous as the notion that there isn't room for both 2D and 3D development when they provide two vastly different forms of gameplay.

Which BTW was anyone really tired of 2D gaming when Nintendo released the N64? And look how the industry's embaced 3D gaming now.

But I digress, I've been very disapointed in the PS2 library, and for me that means it's RPGs but I don't think the complaint is isolated. The games have become so damn blah and are simply rehashes of the same old thing- with few notable exceptions. I find myself continually buying Nintendo and keeping up with Sony and Microsoft out of the habit of collecting.

I haven't heard people screaming out "Get rid of these damn Dual Shocks!" Today's controllers work well for today's games. That's not to say some great games can't utilize this control scheme, but it's change for the sake of change, and at this point the gaming industry isn't going to steer itself where in the direction of Nintendo's specific desires. Remember: form follows function.
    .... Actually that cliché could be taken to either side. If you saw the controller as the invention of the function then the form, or the games will follow. I think game devoplers by nature are creative people, and that this controller should be exciting to them. Artists enjoy a good challange, they enjoy creating something new. This controller gives them absolute freedom and I think we can expect to see some exciting things developed with it in mind.

The game industry will continue to advance as technology advances. It's hardly "change for the sake of change". As long as the hardware provides limitations on creation, there's room for improvement. Is this weren't true we'd still be playing exclusively in 2D as it was good enough at the time.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    REGULAR PPL WILL NOT BUY THIS THING :/
    Regular people love DDR and the Eye Toy. And they love it in droves. Give me a break.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Revolutionary indeed!!! What an awesome and slick looking peripheral. I can't wait to see the possibilities this will bring forth from Nintendo as well as other third party companies.

Thye have COJONs and I applaud them for it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

You know, good or bad, this thread proves one thing about Nintendo's decision. They've certainly got us talking and that's definitely good for them. This controller is gonna be getting attention for a long time to come.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Regular people love DDR and the Eye Toy. And they love it in droves. Give me a break.
    Those aren't the standard methods of controlling every game on the entire system. They're niche games... and while they do make considerable success, the major difference is that these control methods are used for a single game, or sets of games. You can still pick up a standard controller for playing everything else.

And if you think that innovation is driving sales, take a look at the sales numbers for August.. EA dominated the game sales, capturing 43% of the market share, mostly due to a crappy, rehashed football game. If Nintendo was smart, they would make their next controller out of pigskin, and allow you to throw it at the TV.

Nintendo is indeed creative and I'm not disputing that. But, there are few creative companies out there, and even fewer who are already interested in making games for the Revolution. How many other companies are taking advantage of the EyeToy or the DDR mat? And, how easy is it going to be to make multisystem games with this control scheme?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cr0n0
    Revolutionary indeed!!! What an awesome and slick looking peripheral. I can't wait to see the possibilities this will bring forth from Nintendo as well as other third party companies.

Thye have COJONs and I applaud them for it.
    Agreed, I like what they've been doing as far as pushing/changing controls and then affecting how games are designed (ala DS,N64 analog, hell even Virtual Boy, at least someone tried it ) as a result. I'll be watching this very closely
    feitctaj !

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy moly, I just watched the video.

WOW! Playing Tennis looks awesome! Playing the drums with two controllers!!

I'm ready for this thing

(just get shenmue III on it and I'm totally sold ^_^)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Screw yer virtual lightsabers - what this means is that Yuji Naka can finally make Air Nights

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Props to Nintendo for taking chances and doing something different. I think it looks like an absolute blast, and while I'm sure not everyone will agree, no one can deny that the Big N deserves a lot of credit for being bold and daring enough to do something like this - not because it's necessarily the "most powerful/sweetest" system, but because it's a new direction that nobody has tried before.

And THAT is why I'll be picking up one of these as soon as I can.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Wow, Here I was expecting a something like a touch screen controller. this is far from what I expected. But he is right. personally I'm looking at the 360 and PS3 and getting a sort of mental yawn when I think about playing them. Don't get me wrong the eye candy is nice. But I haven't seen much that would keep my interest.

I think (as the Square Enix rep said) this is a bold move and it will be interesting to see what Developers do with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by IntvGene
    How many other companies are taking advantage of the EyeToy or the DDR mat?
    Oh come on, Britney's Dance Beat rocks.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

My goodness, this has been a hot thread.

I was quite skeptical when I first saw the controller. A remote control. What. The. Hell. How are you going to control modern games with that?!

Then I read the article. Very, very interesting. Lots of possibilities here. Obviously some people are so mentally engrained in the "now" they can't perceive something different as "fun". Here's a possible example of what the future could hold.

The Adventure Game Genre: Pretty much dead for a while (Sierra tried to revitalize Kings Quest, but that didn't work). Now hints of this old PC standby are reemerging in new forms like Indigo Prophecy. Image taking this further with the Rev:

Example: Medical game-Paramedic says to player "You! Check that man's pulse!" Player moves their onscreen hand to the patients neck, feeling the beat through the controller. With a button press the player notifies the paramedic that the patient has a pulse and is then instructed to prep the patient for moving. Rev controller is used to grab the gurney straps and fasten them.

Example: Detective game-The player has to search for clues in a house, looking for weapons to a murder case. Using the controller to move the game character's hand, the player makes their avatar "feel" along a wallpapered wall. The player receives a pulse in the controller which indicates a rough spot in the wall and further investigation (a button press perhaps) reveals a hole. Pushing a button to invoke the "grab" command, the character sticks their finger in the hole and with a twist of the controller, opens a hidden panel behind the wallpaper. The player then grabs and releases items in full 3D, twisting the controller while holding the item to view them in 3D (like Shenmue).

Miyamoto joked about an airplane controller. Why not take this idea one step further?

-Steering wheel: snap the controller into the middle of the wheel, a small thumb nub stick or buttons to allow the player to easily shift gears.

-Flight stick: Snap the controller behind the stick and you have full flight movement.

-Light gun: snap the controller onto the "barrel" of the gun and there you go. Have the space for the controller set low enough so that a person can properly aim down the barrel.

A Zelda game would be an interesting concept. There's a game at a local hotel/waterpark that has you fight bad guys with a katana. You hold the sword in a "sensor zone" and you can swing it about to slash, stab and parry. I think I dropped $10 on it ($2 a pop) because it was so fun and so immersive. I see Zelda being the same way only you have control of where Link goes. The puzzle aspect alone is mind boggling.

The whole concept sounds gimmicky but these days it seems gimmicky works. That's what arcades are these days: loads of gimmicks. Light guns, boat oars, dance pads, soccer balls, boxing gloves, new ways to interact with games. Will the games be short? Maybe but it seems Nintendo is striking gold with their mini, or should I say neo-arcade, game approach (Warioware comes to mind).

BTW, why is everyone so gung-ho for a console to be "on top"? This is by-gone market thinking of the past. Even with Sony on top and Microsoft gaining ground, the big N isn't losing money. If Apple can survive in a Windows world, Nintendo can keep doing their thing.

I'm very interested in this console. If the software is able to actually utilize this technology, I think the industry will be quite surprised.

@sabre: Um, a good chunk of us on this board DID live through the Crash. PDF is correct that the stakes for Nintendo in 1985 were pretty high. Originally, if I'm not mistaken, Nintendo was going to release a variation of the Famicom but didn't get much retailer interest because those people were still financially burned from the Crash. Nintendo had to approach the US differently by redesigning their system to look more like a component (hence the toaster design), not associate the name with video games (Nintendo ENTERTAINMENT system, even naming NES cartridges "paks" instead of "cartridges"), and spruce it up with a soon-to-be-dropped accessory like R.O.B. The initial test release in I believe New York in 1985 probably set the executives and retailers on edge until the stuff flew off shelves.

Go back to watching your G4 Icons show :P