Thread: Sleeper of the Week: Okage Shadow King (PS2)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sleeper of the Week: Okage Shadow King (PS2)

Ever want to hang out with the devil? Well…not in a Rolling Stones sense of course, but in a more literally, “Hey Satan, want to grab a meal?” sense. Now you can! In Okage Shadow King, you are Ari, a young boy accidentally entangled with an evil king named Stan. In Japan, the game was called “Satan and Me” instead of Okage Shadow King however, hence the comments above. Immediately upon starting Okage Shadow King, you’ll find that it may remind you of a Tim Burton feature. All of the characters are incredibly stylized and bizarre. Your goal? To restore evil King Stan to his former dark glory! And why would you undertake such a ridiculous quest? As it turns out, Stan has managed to possess your shadow! That sneaky bastard has infested your shadow and won’t give it back until you help him regain all his power by defeating other dark lords! It’s a bizarre concept for an RPG, but it’s darned fun!

Okage Shadow King is a fairly standard RPG interface. Don’t expect a lot of surprises there. You buy items and equip weapons and armor as usual, nothing really different. Many of the characters have some unique special attacks and they’re fairly comedic. But where the game really shines is in the story and dialogue. From the subtle hints to the blatant overtures, the entire game is absolutely hilarious! Expect to be shocked by the evil of Stan, the strangeness of other party members, the random exploits of townsfolk. Unlike many RPGs, a lot of the people you talk to have interesting things to say. Not all of them of course, but I had as much fun talking to townsfolk as I had actually getting on with the game itself. Of course, I suppose you could say that talking to townsfolk is part of the game itself but then we’d get lost on a disturbing existential tangent and no one wants that.

As for battles, we find possibly the lowest point of Okage Shadow King. The dungeons aren’t incredibly long, but the attack ratio of enemies is very high. You’ll take a couple steps and get nailed every time. It’s fairly brutal and ends up a bit tedious. I found myself wanting to blast through the dungeons as quickly as possible to get back to the entertaining story. Everything about battles is pretty standard, attacks and uses of weapons and items, magic, etc. The only surprises are the oddness of the enemies you’ll fight, a standard for Okage. Later on in the game, all the enemies take an abrupt hike in difficulty as well, so if you don’t build up your characters enough and rush through the game like I did, you’ll find yourself at a point where you can’t make any more progress due to the sheer weakness of your party. After over 20 hours, trust me, you don’t want that. But if you can stand wading through the dungeons and building up your characters, man does the game pay off!

Musically of course, Okage Shadow King is an amazing game. All the music is fun and very fitting to the game, and really sets the mood well. Graphics are stunning, and while this is an older PS2 game, you won’t care do to the incredible creativeness used in the game. Of anything currently on the market, the only other game even remotely similar looking to Okage Shadow King is Psychonauts. Being newer, Psychonauts is much more detailed, but they did a damned fine job on Okage Shadow King as well!

In short, Okage Shadow King is a great game with lots of character, awesome story and dialogue, some tedious battles, and great music and graphics. If you can get through the slow parts, it’s one hell of a game (pun intended). These days, you can buy it new for around $10 as it was clearanced out of most stores when it didn’t sell. The guide for the game is also cheap, generally costing only a few bucks. I’d recommend the guide with the game simply to avoid tedious wandering around and allowing you to get past the slow parts and focus on the fun of the game. If you dig RPGs, weird Tim Burton-ish stuff, and want to have some fun, go check out Okage Shadow King!

scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks pretty nice...I might have to check this one out.

Just out of curiosity, is there/could there be an archive of all the previous Sleepers of the Week? I have a tendency of picking these up and would love to know what I've missed.

Insert Coin (Level 0) The Plucky Little Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I second a sleeper of the week archive. I've picked up a number of the titles featured here and I've loved every one.

I've seen Okage all over the place, but I've never even bothered to pick up the box before. Now I read Maxlord's take and can't wait to get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I disagree....sort of.

The story, graphics, and music were all GREAT. But it by far had the worst gameplay/battle system out of any RPG I have ever played. So bad that I got rid of it as fast as I could.

On a side note, if I ever came across this title for a couple bucks, I would pick it up again JUST for the graphics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was looking forward to this game months before it was even released, and I got it on launch .An awsome RPG with truly tim burton like visuals. One of my only complaints is that dungeons are pretty basic and boring.
    Also the screen blur technique is quite good looking.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I enjoyed this game.

One thing of note about the battles is that each character gets different amounts of experience based on their levels. So after a fight the level 5 character might get 200xp while the level 3 character gets 500xp. This means that a low level character will catch up with the rest of the party fairly quickly and the benefit from beating the same monsters gets smaller the longer you stay in an area and level up.

Anyway, here is a trailer (11.5meg)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sisko
    I disagree....sort of.

The story, graphics, and music were all GREAT. But it by far had the worst gameplay/battle system out of any RPG I have ever played. So bad that I got rid of it as fast as I could.
    Heh. It does have an awful battle system...I found that it was mostly the tedium that got to me rather than the configuration though. However, if you've ever played Ephemeral Phantasia for PS2, it makes Okage Shadow King look like the greatest RPG ever! Trust me...there ARE worse RPGs out there....
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

actually bought this yesterday havent had a chance to play it yet
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved this game. I did some fairly healthy character levelling just because I loved the style. Sound and graphics were amazing. I'd agree that the battles were a bit tedious. Finding all of the tiny gears was fun.

The main reason to ever play this game is for the over-the-top "fuck you" attitude and humour of the characters.