Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb video game store employee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dumb video game store employee.

I was on a video game store's website where you could order games online, and noticed that Aero Fighters for the SNES was on the list for $12.95. I figured that the list was just a price guide, and not an actual listing of the games they had in stock. However, Aero Fighters had an "Add to Shopping Cart" button next to it...so I decided to give them a call just in case. The guy on the phone said he didn't have time to check their inventory, but he assured me that every game on that list was in stock...and it would be noted on the site if it wasn't. So I ordered Aero Fighters and give them another call a few days later to see if my order had gone through alright. This time, another person picks up the phone...and he doesn't sound like he's in the mood to talk to anyone at all.

After I tell him the game I ordered was Aero Fighters...he says, "Aero Fighters? That game is called S.N Squadron here in North America! It wasn't released here as Aero Fighters!"

I respond by saying, "S.N Squadron? You mean U.N Squadron. And no...that's an entirely different game."

And then he says, "Oh, well I don't have Aero Fighters, I haven't had that game in since 1994. Good day!" Then he hangs up.

What an idiot! One minute he doesn't know the difference between Aero Fighers and U.N Squadron (not to mention he forgets U.N Squardron's name) and then the next minute he seem to know so much about Aero Fighers, he even remembers the last time he had it in 11 years ago! Ha!

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

as Bill would say "Here's your sign!"

Yes, the stupidity is breeding rapidly like deadites. Grab yourself a boomstick and a chainsaw. We got work to do...

Worst case, was arguing with one of my old bosses about Ninja Gaiden Black. He swore up and down it was going to be Xbox 360 exclusive. It shows up on Xbox.

I showed him, he denies saying that.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh, I love working in a game store, just because, atleast once a day somewhere on the internet, there is a thread about stupid game employees. I've seen them.

But, I don't think I am one of them. Reasoning? Being at the #1 Gamestop in the region. Fun.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

How could you mix up those two games anyway?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did he seriously just hang up on u? lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ive had a few encounters like that -- man do they piss me off

ive had a couple where the @ssmunch tells me they dont cary a game and i find it my self - b@stards !!
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

Thats another reason why I dont order classic games online unless its eBay or Amazon

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

its usually lazy and incompitant employee...10 times out of 10

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

I did manage to find a very competent and nice employee at a game store in Greensboro, NC, in Friendly Shopping Center at an EBgames. I think he's on this site a lot...

There's another store in GSO that keeps the N64 boxes and instructions on display but charges an extra $4 if you actually want the boxes and instructions. I may have accidentally damaged a box or two.

Theres an EB here in Atlanta that won't sell the N64 display boxes at all. At least the manager wouldn't. I do not believe he's the manager anymore. He was an asshole and didn't have the temperment to work in a game store (kudoos to those of you that do.) I put the crap back on the shelf and left, then went to the EBgames 2 miles up the road where the cool employees work. They are always wanting me to see stuff, though.

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

here in central pa we have some nice employees at both gamestop and eb.......you can always tell what the manager/company wants their employees to push whether it be a pre order or asking if I have any trade in's even though he watched me walk into the store with nothing in my hands.....but after the sales pitch when you first walk in the door they are more than willing to help.......I keep thinking that working in a game store would be really fun but I am not sure if I can handle some of the customers questions......sometimes you just have to act like you did not hear some of their questions they ask the clerk and try not to laugh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite is customers that INSIST that a game that doesn't exist exists. One time I had a customer looking for "Hook" for PS2. I THINK that's what she said cuz I could barely understand her. So I ask "Hook?" to be sure I heard her right and she said yes. I told her that Hook was a movie that came out in '92. The only game based on that movie came out on Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis, there is no such title for PS2. She insisted her son played it at a friend's house. I told her straight out that there is definitely no game for PS2 called Hook. She walked away annoyed as ever. I've also had a few people looking for Halo for PS2, and PLENTY of people wanting Mario or Pokémon for PS2. Also, many people don't believe me when I can immediately tell them that we don't have a game in stock. They're like "Well, can you check?" and they get really upset when I tell them I spend 40 hours a week making sure that every game in stock is represented on the salesfloor and that I know about 90% of the stock off the top of my head.

OOH...and I had one woman get really pissed when I told her there were no Early Childhood rated games for PS2 (as far as I know). And she says in this nasty tone "Yes there is! I have some" I told her they were for PS1, for PS1 games work on PS2. Then I told her that the few PS1 games we still carry were E-M, we didn't have any EC games and we get no new stock in b/c they stopped making PS1 titles. So, again with the nasty tone she says, "So when I ordered a game off your website 6 months ago it was just a fluke?" and I said that our website has a lot of older, out-of-production stock (I got a factory-sealed NeoGeo Pocket Color on there for $30 almost a year ago!) and she was in such a pissy mood and she wouldn't even let me finish explaining, she just demanded to know where the PS1 and 2 games were and stormed off. Then I went to go organize the storeroom and she started bitching about the store's website and shit to my coworker. Then she apologized and explained why she was so grumpy and left, but whatever. Get over yourself people. I work there because I know more than you, so stop acting like you know more than me, because you obviously don't.

Anyone who has never had a job before, do yourself a huge favor: AVOID RETAIL AT ALL COSTS!!! Sure it's fun if you get hired at a store that sells products you love and know a lot about, but the longer you work in retail, the more you grow to despise people.

Show me a person with a deep loathing for all mankind and I'll show you someone who works in retail

I know there is a hell, I work in retail
    (a button and bumper sticker, respectively, that illustrates my point exactly)
    ~Gaz~

"Video games develop hand-eye coordination and turn children into better human beings!" ~ Professor Membrane on Invader ZIM"

Animal Crossing Info:
    Town: Odnetnin
    Name: Gaz
    Code: 0730-7620-4738
    Fruits: Pears, Peaches
    Gates Open: Random

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I've worked in both a Best Buy and EBGames and I was the only one who actually knew anything about videogames in both stores. Boy, the stories I can tell about EB especially...and I only worked there for 2 months! One guy claimed he saw a "real" PS3 system....back at the end of 2002. Man, I sure had fun proving him wrong and stupid! At LEAST once a day I had those kind of customers. Sadly, my fellow co-workers weren't too bright either nor knew anything about video games except what they are TOLD to remember and speak about. The only times that were good in there was when a few customers told me thank you and really appreciated all the info. I gave to them, the best one being a couple who came back in just to say thanks for getting them into import Saturn games *sigh* that was nice . My retail experience motto was always this: "Retail would be great if it weren't for the customers"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It works both ways. I have seen some moronic, think-they-know-it-all customers as WELL as retail employees. I mind my own business now and not really bother to butt in.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It works both ways. I have seen some moronic, think-they-know-it-all customers as WELL as retail employees. I mind my own business now and not really bother to butt in.
    True, true. My understanding is that dickhead customers outnumber dickhead game store employees 100 to 1.

And I guarantee the employees could tell you way more horror stories than any given customer could.

However, there are, quite obviously, WAY more customers than workers, hence why we hear more stories of shitty employees than vice versa.

Customers have a habit of SUCKING in retail. Retail blows. I'm so glad I have the job I do now and am not in retail any more.

-Rob

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GameSlaveGaz
    I told her that Hook was a movie that came out in '92. The only game based on that movie came out on Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis, there is no such title for PS2.
    There's a Hook game on Sega CD too. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was told (By a GAME manager of all people) that Konami DO NOT seal their UK PS2 games. I was actually inquiring about if they had any sealed MGS 3's in stock.

He rudely told me point blank that such things do not exist (Trying to force me to buy an unsealed copy in the process) ~ I searched for a few weeks on eBay, and hey preto! One fell right into my lap. I then took it back down there to rub it in his face, and he denied ever saying anything of the sort!

I don't get so much hassle from him now when I ask for a sealed game!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The gamestop at the mall here is run by tools. THe guy working there had never heard of "River CIty Ransom" although, the ebgames at the mall is one of the nicest stores I've ever been to. Everything is stored and organized very very nicely. SNES and NES games are kept behind glass cases where they belong THe young lady that works there has a nice collection from what she tells me, I told her to come to digital press and she did

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing that customers should remember though is that even though I work in a videogame store, There is no possible way I've played every game we have. It just can't be done. So don't give me a hard time when I break out a little honesty and tell you that I've never played it, but I've heard half decent things about it. When I'm a customer, you don't have to be my best friend, you don't have to know everything about a product, and you don't have to be that sociable even. When I ask a question, answer it to the best of your abilities, politely and quickly and that's it.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mills
    THe young lady that works there has a nice collection from what she tells me, I told her to come to digital press and she did
    Do I smell nerd love in the air?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What retail stores need to do is show High Fidelity to new employees as a training film....
    Dude, they should have seriously put Kissinger and Nixon in their own reality/sit-com show. It would be like the odd couple.

Nixon: Is that chairman Mao on the phone?
    Kissinger: Yes, but you can't speak to him, you're too drunk right now.