Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Default <BUMP> <BUMP> <BUMP> <BUMP> <BUM

ENOUGH !~!

We saw you there yesterday and the day before and now we see you today.

This site has a nice little feature. All posts that you have not yet viewed show up in GREEN. There is no need to continue to <BUMP> your posts over and over again.

Are you trying to say your post is more important that those above it? Its rude.

If its been over a month and you want to bump it ONCE thats fine. But bumping your post every day or every other day when you have nothing new to say is a waste of everyones time.

Adam

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

THANK YOU!!!! I though I was the only one a little annoyed with this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm. I just bumped my Ebay auction. I run my auctions for a week only (not a month). The most I have ever bumped an auction thread of mine, over the course of a week is twice, and then only to keep it on page One, for the duration of the auction.

If that is excessive (i do not think it is!) please say so, so I can properly follow the moderated rules in the future.

Otherwise I will continue as I have, in a perfectly reasonable fashion, IMO.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

There is still no need to bump it.

Instead of <bump>

A reply post like this....

These items end tomorrow last chance.

Would work much better. Now we know WHY you are bumping it and thats the whole point. You are adding new information AND a reminder those last minute bidders.

Thats all I'm saying. If you don't have anything to add. If your post has but one purpose and that is to move it to the top of the list then you better have a reason. You are "cutting into the front of the line" so say excuse me and let the world know why you feel you need to do so.

Remember kiddies
    <bump> <bump> <bump> = <lock> <lock> <lock>

Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Hey this post is important!

<BUMP>

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the clarification Buyatari. That is perfectly reasonable, and much more clear.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, when I'm trying to sell something and it falls to the bottom I'm gonna bump it at least a few times.

That's just the way it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

But WHY?

If we haven't read your post yet it will apear GREEN
    If we have read and didn't reply then we aren't interested.

If you made it to the bottom of the page and you haven't sold it chances are its not gunna.

If you add things to your list or reduce the price thats one thing.

This is an example of what I am talking about.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5416

Adam

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea I can see there being a problem with bumping over and over again for weeks, but there are some people who aren't here every day who might wanna buy some of my stuff. And I know some people who haven't been here a couple days don't check every page of threads they may have missed.

I don't know what the problem is with bumping your thread a few times so that more can see it. After that, I let it die.

edit: I just noticed that by bumping my thread, it got viewed 30 times within the last 2 hours. Before that when it was getting close to the bottom, it got maybe 10 views for the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Do you realize that if EVERYONE bumped their theads new threads would end up at the bottom in a matter of hours?

I just noticed that by bumping my thread, it got viewed 30 times within the last 2 hours. Before that when it was getting close to the bottom, it got maybe 10 views for the day
    Yes, you are right. But all those extra 20 views are from people like me who have ALREADY viewed your post. We see GREEN and assume there is something new added to the thread and so we view it a second time. The only people who haven't seen your post yet are the 10 and they will veiw it either way.

You must consider that by you pushing your thread forward you are also pushing other threads downward. I think thats rude and I just don't see the justification in this unless there is new information.

Basiclly what you are saying is "My thread is more important than these others"

But, do what you want. If I see a thread where it is being abused I will lock the thread. If I don't every thread is gunna be bumped over and over and over. We already have people bumping threads more than once in a SINGLE DAY !!!!

Adam

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari
    But, do what you want. If I see a thread where it is being abused I will lock the thread. If I don't every thread is gunna be bumped over and over and over. We already have people bumping threads more than once in a SINGLE DAY !!!!

Adam
    Like I already said, I agree with you on that, its bullshit to bump you thread multiple times in one day and keep doing it for weeks. However, there's nothing wrong with bumping a thread every couple days for a week or so, maybe more people will see it and want to buy something. You never know.

If you ever see me bumping my selling thread multiple times a day with nothing new to add or say, by all means lock the thread.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I couldn't agree with butta more..
    If someone wants to sell something and it keeps getting pushed down to where no one will look I think it's fair to bump it atleast once.
    I don't see anyone complaining about how the mods move topics and never delete the moved topic in the forum it was moved from so when it gets posted in on the forum it was moved TO it gets bumped up in the forum it was moved FROM.
    It's very annoying and pushes good topics to the bottom!! >

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I don't see anyone complaining about how the mods move topics and never delete the moved topic in the forum it was moved from so when it gets posted in on the forum it was moved TO it gets bumped up in the forum it was moved FROM.
    I wish you WOULD HAVE. I didn't realize that you could you see that. You are right those DO need to be removed.

Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with Butta. I don't get on here everyday and when I do get on sometimes I don't have time to scroll down through all of the posts that I have missed. I don't think people should keep bumpity bump, bump, bumping but I don't think that is what butta is saying. And besides, not everyone is doing it. Besides...if you piss off butta, I think he could take you! (just kidding)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Thats a sweet bump icon

You win the bump icon of the month award.

Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Adam, aren't you going a LITTLE overboard?
    First, making this a sticky? Second, threatening to lock threads that people bump? Items being bumped is a pet peeve, but not a forum "offense". It's annoying, but it's not like it's something that would get someone banned. The buying and selling forum is made for advertising items for sale or that people want, right? You never see a commercial run just ONCE on tv, do you? Who's it hurting?

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

The problem isn't in the bumping, it's in the people who bump every day, or even sooner. It seems like there's been a lot of that going on lately. If it was just people bumping after a few days, I'd say it might be a little excessive, but there's no reason for anyone to bump their sale after only 24 hours.

No, it wouldn't be something that gets people banned, but it's a little unfair to others when you have a couple of people determined to have their post on top. Like what they are selling is that much more importaint than anyone else's so they have to push everyone else out of the way. It's rude and unnecessary.

I agree with butta's points, but I think this is more directed to people who are just logging in to reply to their own topic with a <bump> every day. That, I think, is the kind of abuse Adam is talking about and it seems like having this sticky has slowed the amount of this going on already. I don't think it's going overboard, I think it's doing what it's intended to do.

My two coppers, free of charge.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, I gotta side with Adam on this one. Sure, lots of stuff gets posted in here every day and every week, but I can see where excessive bumping could earn someone a locked message. If they persist...well, throw some used cat litter at them or something.