Thread: Ultimate Spider-Man (DS) A new must own DS game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ultimate Spider-Man (DS) A new must own DS game?

I was looking at gamerankings.com and noticed a new spiderman game was out on DS. I remembering the first one on DS I didnt have high hopes, but I noticed it had an average of 86% as scores. I read all the reviews there (lowest being an 8/10) and watched some videos, and I must say this game looks awsome!
    The reviews say it basicaly fixed all the problems with the first one and improved on everything else. No more wondering around looking for the last hostages. Not only that but the controls and graphics are amazing, just check out the video IGN has for venom on page2 and you will see what I mean.
    So far its all praise for the game, its out now too and I really think Im gonna pick it up, Im also wondering if any of you have played it yet?
    Here are some helpful links:

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/755/755233/vids_1.html

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/928413.asp

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, i picked it up on tuesday... i agree with all the rave reviews, but "must-own" might be a stretch. it's a solid game, with a great art style. LOTS of fun to play, especially for a comic fan.

there's only a few problems so far. first, it seems pretty dang short. i've only played for about an hour or so, and it says i've completed 34%. one third of the game in an hour makes me nervous. also, since it does not time you or have secondary objectives, i can't imagine there being any incentive to go back and replay levels, so after one play through, the game could become a dust collector or trade fodder.

but i also think that some of the high marks come from the DS having an overall small selection of similar titles. there's no means of strong comparison, so for the meantime it's a terrific purchase if you're looking for this sort of game.

but that also raises a question about the price. the game retails for $40 and i think that's too much. had it been a regular $30 game, i think more people would be willing to give it a shot. (i actually got it for $30 through a gamerush trade-in deal.) my advice would be to pick it up on the first sale or a price drop you find. i'm definitely enjoying the game more than most of the recent DS releases, but i'd hate to see others pick it up expecting it to be the best game ever only to get disappointed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It looks really good. I'm certainly impressed, and I may just pick up a copy whenever the price becomes reasonable. $40 is just absurd for a portable game. I know how much these games cost to make. No excuse.

In any event, this Spider-Man actually seems to feel like the comic book, and as long as it isn't too short or too easy, it'll be worth the time.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!