Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Future PS2 Rarities..?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gradius III & IV seems to be pretty uncommon. I know it's almost always on ebay...but I never see it in the wild. The one time I did find it in a video game store was when I bought it...and that was about 3 years ago.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

adventure's of cookie and cream
    ring of red
    Maybe...
    An emotion as such tells you nothing about reality, beyond the fact that something makes you feel something.

-- Ayn Rand, "Philosophical Detection," Philosophy: Who Needs It

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Fatal Frame and Clock Tower games seem to be fairly hard to find (there are copies of Fatal Frame and Clock Tower 3 at a local shop for like $20-ish each).

I may start a thread or ask about one to be made for possible GC rarities...

Sailorneorune
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Unison and Victorious Boxers. I've only seen those ONCE and there's at least forty game stores/department stores/electronic stores in my general area.

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    Quote Originally Posted by bazariah
    i'd say the true rarities will be stuff like dark cloud and suikoden 3

possibly other titles like klonoa 2.. and the last real games on the system, before the budget stuff out-sells everything else

I hear this all the time but I see Suikoden III and Klonoa almost every time I walk into a EBWorld or Gamestop. I can't imagine that either of them are rare at all.

And while I'm not sure about it being rare I'll admit that Wizardry was a bitch to find for me.
    Well you have to consider, Suikoden II, Intelligent Qube, Gitaroo Man, games like this were very easy to find the first couple years, some even up to 3-4 years, then they simply vanish. And thus gain the rare status, or, at least uncommon. Personally I think the last Dynasty Warriors (Whatever it may be) Will become rare, because the fan base gets smaller with each one, and thus, hardly anyone will buy the final one. But when it's first released, you'll see it EVERYWHERE...
    (Insert Something Clever Here, I'm Out Right Now)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unison - obscure music/rhythm game from Tecmo that I never see anywhere (even on Ebay).

Gallop Racer Series/G1 Jockey - never see these anywhere either, especially G1 and GR 2001.

P.T.O. IV

Ace Combat 5 flight stick bundle

Digital Devil Saga 1&2 + Nocturne - RPG's from Atlus. Enough said.

Twisted Metal Back Online - mail away only game. I remember it was selling for $50+ a while back but I haven't checked on it in a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

i'd say that sky gunner, everblue 2, and mr mosquito will be uncommon/rare. i bought them after they came out in canada when i started working retail at eb and i didn't see them come in too much after that.

you also can't forget about rez. i seen here and there when it first came out and then only once in a pawnshop after it was taken down from the shelves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One youre missing!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dual hearts is the rarest current generation game out there across xbox, ps2, and gcn that is if you look strictly at its print numbers. Dual hearts recieved about 3800 copies (i've read 3600 before but from what I have seen its closer to 3800) It's not in high demand though so its a relatively easy game to find if you look online. Though as far as print runs go thats less than that ncaa college basketball game for gamecube even (though not by much) That's the kinda print-run you'd expect to see back on the turbo grafx.

Unison - very rare game but not the rarest, it had 10,000 copies printed (give or take a few of course)

Wizardry for ps2 - I believe it had roughly 18,000 copies printed but I have read reports that fluctuate from 15,000 to 22,000. Number wise it is not the rarest ps2 game but as far as my collection goes this is THE ONLY game I had resort to buying used just to find a copy. I was never able to find this game new after looking for a year in 2004. I'm a freak about only buying "new" games so it says a lot that I had to buy this game used.

Stella deus- not rare it had 45,000 printed and possibly more printed since then.

Cubix: robots for everyone - gamecube version is very common, ps2 version is very rare, it is a blockbuster exclusive but blockbuster seemed to release less of the ps2 version than the gamecube version as far as I know. I don't know the exact numbers on this title but from my experience it is under 10,000

Ace combat 5 (flight stick bundle)- 25,000 printed total

PTO IV - I saw someone else list this game and i'll be honest it's at the very least a very uncommon game, I dont know the numbers on this one and its one of the few rare games out there that I dont have but if anyone knows its exacte release numbers i'd be interested in hearing em.

Gundam franchise on ps2:

None of the gundam games are exactly "rare" but gundam zeonic front is probably the only ps2 gundam game at the moment that is virtually impossible to find factory sealed still (i've had no luck) yet it is fairly common to find it used.

Gundam battle assault 3 was released right at the end of 2004 (december 7th if i recall right, or maybe the 14th) and was pretty hard to find right away, you can find it at online retailers still but it disappeared fast from gamestop.com, ebgames.com and many stores never got many copies of it.

Gundam vs zeta gundam (released 6/28/05 if i recall correctly) is still a fairly new game but honestly how many times have you seen this game in stores? this one has the potential to someday be "rare" but thats purely speculation on my part. Each time a new gundam game comes out it sells a little worse than the previous game so they seem to be releasing less and less of each new gundam game.

Castle shikigami 2- This game is VERY common, I am listing this game because when it first came out it was practially a game that didn't exist - yet existed. Since about a month after it's release it go a massive surge of printed copies and now its relatively easy to find.

Horse racing games:

G1 jockey 3 is the rarest horse racing game on the ps2, gallop racer 2003 would be the 2nd rarest.

The konami games of 2004 that all came out within a month of each other, firefighter fd1, lifeline, etc all are relatively uncommon games, i wouldnt say "rare" but definetly approaching that status as each day passes.

Naval ops warship gunner, and naval ops: commander - I believe as far as rarity goes these are about on equal standing with PTO 4

Hmm it's late I better wrap this up now lest I start rambling off slightly incorrect information. I might have to edit some of this info or add to it later as is.

My collection: Users.ign.com/jcnet1
    (old systems missing lots, new systems missing some (havent updated for almost a year)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also think that R-type final and Gradius V will become hard to find in some years.

And don't forget the excellent Gregory horror show, from Capcom (released here, in Europe, but what about the USA?), which is a superb survival-horror game to my eyes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw ICO last Friday at GameStop: used $15 (up from $10 last time I was there, pretty sure it's the same game)

Used Klonoa 2 was there too, forget how much but more than I spent for my copy some time ago.

Clock Tower 3 for $20??? It was at GameStop used for $10 or less IIRC. Actually, they had quite a few games for $10 & under.
    What did piss me off is they had Vampire Night for $25, & I got it for $30 2 weeks ago at GameCrazy, never having seen it ANYWHERE else around here. Grrr!

I've had my Mad Maestro, Mr Mosquito, & Everblue 2 for awhile now. I play them, but Mr Mosquito is still sealed.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with quite a few post. I also think Victorious boxer is a somewhat rare one. The market is funny, companies always pull a fast one on you. Case in point. I stopped past an Gamestop last week and found used flawless copies of persona 2 and rhapsody in mint like new condition. I had persona 2 but no book each had bonus disks. I bought them. Both a little pricey for a ps1 game 29.99 and 39.99. Then the next 5 gamestops I stopped by each one had both games in mint condition. So much for being rare.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think the American games have already started to weed themselves out already. A shave a few PAL ones like Ico CE; Marvel Vs Capcom II; And Space Channel 5 Part II.

I have also noticed a few sealed games go for stupid amounts compared to their unsealed counterparts ~ Rez and Gitaroo Man for example. Being sealed means they are by far much rarer... Sealed Konami games tend to sell for a lot too, as they are known for having not many in that condition

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also think RAD will be rare, I have NEVER saw the game in the wild, and have been looking for it for years.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PDorr3
    I also think RAD will be rare, I have NEVER saw the game in the wild, and have been looking for it for years.
    Really? I see it everywhere.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

Quote Originally Posted by xmagxus
    Dual hearts is the rarest current generation game out there across xbox, ps2, and gcn that is if you look strictly at its print numbers. Dual hearts recieved about 3800 copies (i've read 3600 before but from what I have seen its closer to 3800) It's not in high demand though so its a relatively easy game to find if you look online. Though as far as print runs go thats less than that ncaa college basketball game for gamecube even (though not by much) That's the kinda print-run you'd expect to see back on the turbo grafx.
    i think my job has a copy of this used, i'll have to double check.

out of what i think will be rarities i'll list 'em:
    Rez (no brainer there)
    Cookies n Cream
    F.D. 18
    Mad Maestro! (i'd say atleast a 6 of 7 on the DB scale)
    Mister Misquito (same as mad maestro)
    Culdcept
    Yany Caballista (complete with the thumb board)
    Disaster report
    Gitaroo Man

those are my predictions with my limited knowledge.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sisko
    Quote Originally Posted by bazariah
    i'd say the true rarities will be stuff like dark cloud and suikoden 3

possibly other titles like klonoa 2.. and the last real games on the system, before the budget stuff out-sells everything else
    I disagree with all of these titles. Dark Cloud is greatest hits, and I find at least one of each of those three titles at every used game store I go to (a regional thing?)

Titles that seem to be disappearing:

Mr Mosquito
    Sky Gunner
    Dual Hearts
    Gitaroo Man
    Tsugunai
    FD18 Figherfighter (something like that anyway)
    Culdecept
    i was merely going by how things are in the uk...

back when i had my game shop i'd get dark cloud in once every 2 months, unlike something like gta vice city which i'd get another used one each day

Mr Mosquito can be pretty common over here i've had more of them than i have dark cloud

thinking about it another game which coul;d become uber rare at some point is gradius 3 and 4, i saw two copies once in a rental shop for the first time in four years last year and bought them both there and then, sold one for £35 and kept the other

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mr Mosquito can be found here in most supermarkets for about £7-£8. Hardly what i'd call rare. Same for Mad Maestro.

Gitaroo Man on the other hand... I was lucky to have found a sealed copy in my local Tesco for the same price. It's unlikely that you'd ever find a future rare game for sale in a supermarket though, as they tend to buy stuff in bulk.

Klonoa II is a game that has been classified as "Rare" for some time. Same for Dark Cloud. As has Ico CE. Space Channel 5 Part II never got a UK release, hence why it sells for so much ~ Last sealed one I saw on eBay sold for nearly £70!

You have to distinguish between American and PAL releases though. What may be rare in America (Say, Rez on PS2) can be pretty common and cheap here. Same for Firefighter: FD 18

You also have a lot of games which never got a UK release. Half the reason they sell for so much is because us Brit's are bidding on them forcing the prices up (Due to the exchange rate, we can technically pay twice what any normal American would pay)

Metal Gear Solid: Substance is becoming quite hard to find lately too. Same for the Nippon Ichi games, and a few Konami games like Ephemeral Fantasia.

I think it's a safe bet that any future PS2 rare games will be RPG's and / or obscure weird & wonderful Jappanny style games (Such as Katamari style games)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Keep in mind that what's rare will not necessarily be what's valuable. I'm sure that there will be at least a couple RPGs that could be called "rare", but I'm guessing most the ones that'll shoot up in price will NOT be rare, just in high demand.

Anyway, when I visit family on the west coast, I see Mad Maestro EVERYWHERE. I can't imagine it ever being rare.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow I'd just like to say I'm glad I made such a hot topic ^^. I actually own quite a few of the games named here! Here's a list of games I own that I think will be worth quite a bit in a few years:

Grandia XTreme
    Suikoden III
    DarkCloud 2
    Shadow of Destiny
    Katamari Damacy (I think the 2nd will be common)
    .hack series (I don't have 4 though...)
    Kessen II
    Silpheed
    Gungriffon Blaze
    Unlimited Saga
    Monster Rancher 3
    Space Channel 5 Special Edition
    King's Field: The Ancient City
    Guilty Gear XX
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII
    Mad Maestro!
    Ace Combat 4
    Ace Combat 5 Flight Stick Bundle
    Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter
    Xenosaga Ep 1 (Worth much more if they release the whole series)

Fatal Frame II
    Jade Cocoon II
    Gradius III & IV
    Sky Gunner
    La Pucelle Tactics
    Disgaea (although my friend has it right now, if he loses it.... >.<)

Castle Shikigami 2
    Drakengard
    State of Emergency ....lol, gotcha!
    Wild Arms 3
    Everblue 2
    The document of MGS2! (I have hopes for this one)
    Star Ocean: Till the end of time
    Suikoden IV
    Taiko Drum Master w/ Drum
    Non GH Kingdom Hearts
    Gitaroo Man
    Airforce Delta Strike
    Stretch Panic
    Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
    Technic Beat
    R-Type Final
    Lifeline
    Victorious Boxers
    Driving Emotion Type-S

So there you have it...my part of my PS2 Collection that I think will become anywhere between semi-uncommon to wow I never see that game! What do you think?
    (Insert Something Clever Here, I'm Out Right Now)