Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PS3 Blu-Ray Dead?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS3 Blu-Ray Dead?

Now all the "neutral" companies has dropped Blu-Ray. Does this mean Sony is all alone in their continued support of blu-ray? Will the PS3 be injured by this? Here's the article: http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews...27_190208.html

I think this will only drive costs up... Sony bet on the wrong horse this race. Perhaps a new format called Beta-Ray?
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other poor bastard die for his."
    -- General George Patton

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope Blu-Ray isn't flat out dead. Going HD DVD fucks over the consumers in the long run, imo. The only advantage HD DVD offers is lower initial costs for plants converting over... it offers a hell of a lot less storage and isn't nearly as expandable as blu-ray discs.

I really hope the PC drives are compatible with both standards (like dvd+r/-r/+rw/-rw/-ram), because if there's a choice between blu-ray and hd dvd on a product, i'm totally getting the blu-ray version.

Let's hope there's not a similar bitch-fit when HVDs start coming more into focus. Something tells me that we won't be so lucky

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just want one unified format and I personally think that Blur Ray is better since TDK has a 100 gig Blur Ray dvd already.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There really isn't a 'personal opionon' on whats better, Blu Ray is better, and there is no way around it. It's like trying to argue that a floppy disk is better then a CD-ROM.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont think it will affect the PS3 much either way

I do think that Xbox 360 may recieve more support by default but well see

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FoodMonster
    There really isn't a 'personal opionon' on whats better, Blu Ray is better, and there is no way around it. It's like trying to argue that a floppy disk is better then a CD-ROM.
    TRUE but very few console games use all of a DVDs storage capacity even to this day and look how many of the newer PC games are still released on multiple CDs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FoodMonster
    It's a little closer to the 3.5 vs 5.25 debate...but yea. The only reason HD DVD has so much steam is because it's cheaper for the companies to switch over to it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Blu-Ray is far from dead. Sony has the backing of a number of huge companies including more movie studios then HD DVD so the war is far from over.

I personally prefer HD DVD because of the up front cost. I know that in the long run Blu-ray will come down, but the bottom line i'm looking at what i have to spend right now, not what i have to spend in 5 years. Remember that better tech doesn't mean it's better. You have to look at the big picture and that means you have to look at both inital cost, long term cost and you have to look at how much difference that space is really gonna make. To me an 8 layer 100 GB BD ROM isn't that impressive. Looking at the space predictions for the next gen Blu-Ray isn't nessecary. The Java powered menu's are nice, but the hard coded copyprotection won't make it as easy to stream a disc's content which is what MS is looking to do. (at least that's the arguement in the press release).

In the end i imagine most people will be like me and just skip picking sides and buy a combo player. In fact Samsung has already announced a Blu-Ray/HD DVD combo drive.

What's really interesting about todays announcement isn't that Intel and Microsoft have joined HD DVD. No what's interesting is that Apple is firmly in the Blu-Ray camp. In fact they're on the Blu-Ray Disc Association Board of Directors.

So what does this mean for Intel-Apple business?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's is interesting intel apple thing. Hadn't thought of that. I think HD-DVD will end up winning because:
    A) Cheaper
    B) People don't like change
    They just learned DVD, they won't like this whole blu-ray thing. I don't want a compromise, I want a clear cut winner. I don't want to buy multiple of things, that's what I hate about this generation. Last gen it was just PS1, that was the clear cut winner, this gen everything is good. Just makes things more expensive. Even if Blu-Ray and HD-DVD did live happily ever after, HD-DVD would still be dominant, look at PCs and all the CDs they use. Just cost, nothing more nothing less.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other poor bastard die for his."
    -- General George Patton

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know that tons of people bought the PS2 in Japan because it was a "cheap" DVD player at the time but I don't think it will be the same this time around. LIke someone said, DVD's just got big in the last couple of years and it took people forever to adjust from their old VCR's. I personally don't think that the next generation of systems will succeed/fail based on how universal they are and how many cool features they have outside of playing games. Too many systems have failed trying to be everything to everyone so its still going to come down to the games and not the specs and features.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theoakwoody
    I know that tons of people bought the PS2 in Japan because it was a "cheap" DVD player at the time but I don't think it will be the same this time around. LIke someone said, DVD's just got big in the last couple of years and it took people forever to adjust from their old VCR's. I personally don't think that the next generation of systems will succeed/fail based on how universal they are and how many cool features they have outside of playing games. Too many systems have failed trying to be everything to everyone so its still going to come down to the games and not the specs and features.
    Exactly thank u

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theoakwoody
    you have to realise that the technology is evolving at a faster rate, people will get HDTVs for gaming in the next 4 to 10 years and HD-DVD or BlurRay will shine faster than DVD..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*crosses fingers*
    Zelda is NOT an RPG.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People will want something they know. I can see the ad now. "It's still a DVD, just better".
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmtz
    People will want something they know. I can see the ad now. "It's still a DVD, just better".
    yea I think people know more about the tech, the ones who rush to buy it. The dumbasses just consult the bestbuy employees.

I would do anything to get a console that can give me 720p or 1080p resolution in games since I am not a pc gamer.

you need more space and thats why next gen consoles will adopt the next gen media.

HD-DVD or Blueray are just as evolutionary as Pentium 4 multi core procerssors.. people who already have HDTVs know that the current gen consoles that offer HDTV modes are not that sharp.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

HD-DVD already has one huge strike against it in the home theater crowd. The players will only transmit a HD 1080 signal over encrypted HDMI cables. That means there are several generations of HDTVs that *cannot* view HD-DVDs in anything but 480p. Only have componant video or DVI on your $10,000 TV? Too bad, time to upgrade if you want to see HD-DVDs in true HD.

Blu-ray has not announced if they're implementing anything like this yet. If you want to read more, hit up the Home Theater Forum, look for the topic "Its Official - HDDVD is HDMI only" in the Home Theater Software forum

http://www.hometheaterforum.com

Join the Konami All Stars and get FREE stuff!

Visit the Prototype Archive - System Failure - A really old backup.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjax
    HD-DVD already has one huge strike against it in the home theater crowd. The players will only transmit a HD 1080 signal over encrypted HDMI cables. That means there are several generations of HDTVs that *cannot* view HD-DVDs in anything but 480p. Only have componant video or DVI on your $10,000 TV? Too bad, time to upgrade if you want to see HD-DVDs in true HD.

Blu-ray has not announced if they're implementing anything like this yet. If you want to read more, hit up the Home Theater Forum, look for the topic "Its Official - HDDVD is HDMI only" in the Home Theater Software forum

http://www.hometheaterforum.com

I find it hard to believe that somebody won't make a device that will basically convert the HDMI output to wide band component. There are way too many HDTV's that don't have HDMI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really, the question that is on my mind is, why do we need either format? Sure, some people have high end TVs, but most people still have good old 320x240 TVs, like myself. Really, DVDs are still perfectly adequate for the majority of people. It took about 15 years before VHS was rendered useless, why can't the same happen for DVD? In 10 years, when there are more high end TVs around, it would make better sence to get the new formats out. All these companies will do is drive up the price of an already overly-expensive product (there is no good reason why a DVD costs more than VHS).
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Not over yet...

If Sony is known for anything, it is sticking with technology they believe in, even if nobody else does. Didn't Sony finally kill consumer Betamax 2-3 years ago? Thanks for posting the article by the way. Very interesting perspective that isn't getting much press yet. This wouldn't be the first time Sony has overhyped the capabilities of a product to push a particular standard.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    Really, the question that is on my mind is, why do we need either format? Sure, some people have high end TVs, but most people still have good old 320x240 TVs, like myself. Really, DVDs are still perfectly adequate for the majority of people. It took about 15 years before VHS was rendered useless, why can't the same happen for DVD? In 10 years, when there are more high end TVs around, it would make better sence to get the new formats out. All these companies will do is drive up the price of an already overly-expensive product (there is no good reason why a DVD costs more than VHS).
    The point is we don't need either format. Not by a longshot. They could continue to make games on DVD and just use multiple DVD's as they did for CD based games. The HDTV penetration rate is so incredibly small across just the US that it certainly isn't because the majority is crying for something better.

Neither format will see widescale success in the movie industry, because it isn't needed. There might be a more viable format a decade down the road, but for now there is absolutely no reason to make any kind of switch.