Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 72pin switcharoo - is it possible?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    As for repositioning the new connector to face the original toaster NES case opening you could always use a couple old IDE cables to give you the opportunity to place the cartridge input at any angle you want. That's how Ben Heck did it for a long time.
    OK smart guy, I already understand that a wires can be used to position the connector in any direction, but how do you then mount the connector so that it doesn't move when carts are inserted?

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The Cinch 72-pin card edge connectors that the NESp website suggests are total crap. Their grip is too weak to make a good connection with some cartridges and they're not gold plated. I tried three of them and brought it to the attention of the guy behind the website, who apparently doesn't care to mention the superiority of other connectors out there.

The connectors I have had the best luck with are those found in the Galoob Game Genie. They're gold plated, thicker with the right pitch and spring resiliency, the pin contacts are slightly broader.

This is one of my older modifications where I soldered a connector directly to the motherboard, flipped it upside down and mounted the thing to the underside of the NES case interior. I had to detach the video/audio modulator and run shielded wiring so I could keep the ports in the same spot, also the controller wiring had to be extended:

http://www.angelfire.com/apes/madmeat/toaster1.html

One of my future projects I need to finish is keeping the motherboard in its original location and simply running a ribbon cable to a new card edge connector mounted by brackets in the 'mouth' of the NES deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagasian
    OK smart guy, I already understand that a wires can be used to position the connector in any direction, but how do you then mount the connector so that it doesn't move when carts are inserted?
    I have had excellent results with plastic spacers and JB Weld. Unobtrusive to the outside, unlike drilling holes and using bolts and nuts. On a properly prepared/sanded surface, the tensile strength of JB Weld likely surpasses any force you'd exert inserting and removing a cart.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bratwurst,
    I hope you have success with your ribbon cable / mounting based mod. Do you think you could mount the connector in a way that that from the outside it looked just like a normal un-modded toaster... with the exception that games didn't blink? Please write up a tutorial once you are done.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jagasian
    Bratwurst,
    I hope you have success with your ribbon cable / mounting based mod. Do you think you could mount the connector in a way that that from the outside it looked just like a normal un-modded toaster... with the exception that games didn't blink? Please write up a tutorial once you are done.
    All you'd have to do is mount the bracket holding the cart connector deeper to the rear of the NES deck so the NES cartridge can be completely inserted. Maybe make a rail the cart can slide into for stability, or keep the old loading bay and just prevent it from lowering anymore.

My personal preference is to have some of the cart sticking out because I'm obsessive with the condition of my labels and they're easier to grip and pull out with that concern in mind. I have some free time this coming week, will probably take some pictures if I get on it.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

http://nesdev.parodius.com/bbs/viewt...r=asc&start=30

Just thought I'd post a link to the solution I was talking about earlier in this thread. THe topic sorta came up on NESdev, so I figured I should explain what I was talking about. This method has never failed me. The backwards connector rules.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!