Thread: Suikoden/Chrono Cross character designs

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Suikoden/Chrono Cross character designs

I have been meaning to ask about this for years, but have always forgotten somehow.

Is it just me, or were many of the character designs in Chrono Cross basically lifted from Suikoden, along with the mass recruiting aspect (though admittedly not 108 of them....)?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I haven't really noticed any similarities, but then again, I'm not familiar with much of the Suikoden art. I can tell you that the artist for Chrono Cross is Nobuteru Yuuki, though, and he definitely did NOT do Suikoden (but he did do Seiken Densetsu 3, Tail Concerto, and probably some other games I've forgotten, along with a boatload of anime classics like Escaflowne and Record of Lodoss War). It's possible that he picked up some inspiration from the Suikoden art, especially considering he reinvents his style with practically everything he does, but it's pretty unlikely.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, there were some style changes. I guess I said that badly. There just seemed to be a significant number of minor (usually very minor) characters that had similar clothing, hairstyle, professions, along with the same colours of hair, clothing, etc.

The major characters are completely diffrent.

Basically, when one is making so many very minor characters, it actually seems pretty reasonable not to take much time on many of them, even to the point of redrawing characters from elsewhere and renaming them.

LIke I said it's been years. Maybe it got exaggerated in my mind and there were only a half dozen or so characters that seemed like different drawings of the same person.

Also, did the main character designer do all the character protraits. I swear there was an old wise woman in both games that appeared to be the same person as far as char portrait.

I admit I enjoyed playing both games back in the day..... Though I don't really miss them either.

Along with the Tri-ace stuff, SOTN, and a few couple other RPG's, Suikoden basically was the PSX IMO.