Thread: NintenDogs = enormous hit in europe

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NintenDogs = enormous hit in europe

Quote Originally Posted by rev-europe
    As expected, Nintendogs launches in Europe to a great reception, boosting DS sales by as much as 700%! More sales figures inside!

Nintendo has confirmed their extremely popular puppy sim sold over 160,000 units during its first weekend in Europe, and looks set to repeat the success story it's been in Japan and, more recently, America, where Nintendogs became not only the hottest-selling video game, but the best-selling new franchise ever for a portable video game system.
    Nintendogs has gone on to sell over 1.5 million copies in North America and Japan - having sold out in its first week of release in the USA with over 250,000 copies flying off the shelves during the first week on sale.

SOURCE

holy cow.
    Looks like Ninty pulled another pokemon here.

I know at least 5 girls who purchased this "game" so I expected a "success" but this is just incredible.
    *continues feeding his Labrador* [/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: NintenDogs = enormous hit in europe

Quote Originally Posted by Zubiac666
    boosting DS sales by as much as 700%
    To me, that says more about how poorly it was doing pre-NintenDogs than anything else.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fantastic news! Nintendogs deserves recognition. It does what it does very well. I was a little unsure how us Europeans would take to playing with virtual puppies, but the signs are looking good. And even if Nintendogs isn't your cup of tea, a blue or pink Nintendo DS at £99 with bundled game is a steal!

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    To me, that says more about how poorly it was doing pre-NintenDogs than anything else.
    How do you... erm... justify that? I just can't understand that. We know the Nintendo DS has been performing pretty much everywhere. Am I confused?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow thats alot. This game isnt a new concept. Catz & Dogz was made for PC (maybe mac too) in 1995 and is basicly the same as Nintendogs. Anyone remember those games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by THATinkjar
    We know the Nintendo DS has been performing pretty much everywhere.
    By "we", I assume you mean die-hard Nintendo apologists?

Anyway, I'm not trying to spark another arguement, so I'll exit the thread here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Wow thats alot. This game isnt a new concept. Catz & Dogz was made for PC (maybe mac too) in 1995 and is basicly the same as Nintendogs. Anyone remember those games?
    I do, I still have a copy of Dogz 3 somewhere around here...

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I like Nintendogs -- finally got a copy of the Daschund edition. My first pup is a male husky called Rocky.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heck yes. Catz ruled!

I remember one Christmas, we were all downstairs eating dinner on Christmas Eve, and we could all hear my pet pining for attention. I went upstairs, petted my little feline friend, printed some photos and headed back down with a photo album Ah, the memories!

But, I do think Nintendogs is vastly different. It is far more structured, for one. But yes, Dogz and Catz did kick things off quite nicely

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    Quote Originally Posted by THATinkjar
    We know the Nintendo DS has been performing pretty much everywhere.
    By "we", I assume you mean die-hard Nintendo apologists?

Anyway, I'm not trying to spark another arguement, so I'll exit the thread here.
    For the record, neither was I I'm sorry we couldn't discuss this further. I'm not always "clued up" (so to speak). Sometimes (translation: often) I get my wires crossed. I really just wanted to understand.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both Dogz and Catz were released for GBC but didn't do much sales-wise. Dogz also announced for GBA within the last couple of days as well.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikeetler
    Both Dogz and Catz were released for GBC but didn't do much sales-wise. Dogz also announced for GBA within the last couple of days as well.
    Ah ok. Havnt tried those, only the PC version. Dont know why Nintendogs is so popular. Maybe because the DS is very popular right now and the touchscreen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well in the Store that I manage here in Aus I have completely sold out with little chance of me getting any more untill early December.

What is funny about that is I accidently order the things twice so I was stressed out I had far too many copies, then the went out the door like, well pokemon.......................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I would love to see Dogz or Catz come back for OS X.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Oh man that takes me back. I owned Catz 1-3 Dogz 1 and Petz 4 and i loved them all. They we're my inspiration for buying Nintendogs. Here's hoping we get a Famicats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

not suprising since I read the french use dogs for shark bait. I saw the video and was like
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd be interested in the following reliable sales data:

Nintendogs in Japan, USA and Europe.

Hardware sales of DS and PSP in USA and Europe.

Software sales of DS and PSP in Europe and USA (including UMD movies for the PSP). (hardware and software sales have to be distinguished, and reveal sometimes surprising gaps)

Does anyone have reliable numbers?

Considering the source, I think the numbers are hyped. I think also that Nintendogs is not the hottest selling videogame here in the USA either. 250 000 sold in the first week of its release???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, lendelin, their (revo-europe) Japan numbers are the media create (www.m-create.com) numbers, i have no doubts those are correct.

gamesindustry gave us the same numbers too
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=12196

about DS sales
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content...e=ret&aid=9811
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

and, more recently, America, where Nintendogs became not only the hottest-selling video game, but the best-selling new franchise ever for a portable video game system.
    They can say what they want but without Pokemon there wouldn't be a Nintendogs. There wouldn't even be a Nintendo DS. The black and white gameboy would be sitting on the collectors shelf next to The Sega Game Gear and collectors would all pose the question of why the handheld systems never seemed to work.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari
    and, more recently, America, where Nintendogs became not only the hottest-selling video game, but the best-selling new franchise ever for a portable video game system.
    They can say what they want but without Pokemon there wouldn't be a Nintendogs. There wouldn't even be a Nintendo DS. The black and white gameboy would be sitting on the collectors shelf next to The Sega Game Gear and collectors would all pose the question of why the handheld systems never seemed to work.
    Pokemon was released in 1998, nearly 10 years after the Game Boy's debut. The Game Boy Color was released two months after Pokemon hit shelves. The original Game Boy's success had nothing to do with Pokemon at all. At best you could make the arguement that the GBC would have failed without Pokemon, but I highly doubt that as well.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neuropolitique
    Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari
    Pokemon was released in 1998, nearly 10 years after the Game Boy's debut. The Game Boy Color was released two months after Pokemon hit shelves. The original Game Boy's success had nothing to do with Pokemon at all. At best you could make the arguement that the GBC would have failed without Pokemon, but I highly doubt that as well.
    I just wanted to say that I fully agree with this. Pokemon wasn't the reason the Game Boy excelled. If you wanted to make this argument, you might be able to convince me that Tetris did it, but even if Tetris hadn't been done, something would've happened somewhere that would've made handhelds into a popular system.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333