Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NintenDogs = enormous hit in europe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I just wanted to say that I fully agree with this. Pokemon wasn't the reason the Game Boy excelled. If you wanted to make this argument, you might be able to convince me that Tetris did it, but even if Tetris hadn't been done, something would've happened somewhere that would've made handhelds into a popular system.
    Tetris certainly launched the original Gboy and kept it alive for YEARS but it all would have ended there had Pokemon not come along. So yes without a tetris there wouldn't have been a Pokemon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I may never like tetris again after thinking about that :/

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tetris was a puzzle games, no offense but puzzle games don't offer long term play.

Pokemon came out with 3 games, well 2 different story lines (red and blue were the same just different pokemon or something i think?). I know for a fact of being a grade schooler at the time at least half the school came in with a gameboy and their trusty cartidges to play at recess. I am glad to say that this is the only (some what)RPG I have ever really played, and finished!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by CYRiX
    Tetris was a puzzle games, no offense but puzzle games don't offer long term play.

Pokemon came out with 3 games, well 2 different story lines (red and blue were the same just different pokemon or something i think?). I know for a fact of being a grade schooler at the time at least half the school came in with a gameboy and their trusty cartidges to play at recess. I am glad to say that this is the only (some what)RPG I have ever really played, and finished!
    What are you high?

Tetris is the greatest puzzle game ever made and for those of us who bought the original GB when it first came out Tetris was like crack. It's a puzzle game that didn't really get old and beleive me it did offer long term play.

If you truely doubt the power of Tetris i suggest you read this article about Tetris Dreams.

While Pokemon was very popular, especially with school children, tetris was popular with EVERYONE. Hell today it's even the number one cell phone game. Give it the respect it deserves.

In this generation of handhelds, Nintedogs is having the same effect that Tetris had. There's not much to it, but damned if it isn't bringing in the sales and hooking people like crazy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why does it seem like you guys need to find an excuse of why the Gameboy suceeded? And really who cares if Tetris or Pokemon helped the it gain that success? Isn't that the goal, to make games that make people want to buy a console?

I think that saying that the Gameboy would have failed without Pokemon is like saying that the PS2 would have died without GTA

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    Quote Originally Posted by CYRiX

What are you high?

Tetris is the greatest puzzle game ever made and for those of us who bought the original GB when it first came out Tetris was like crack. It's a puzzle game that didn't really get old and beleive me it did offer long term play.

If you truely doubt the power of Tetris i suggest you read this article about Tetris Dreams.

While Pokemon was very popular, especially with school children, tetris was popular with EVERYONE. Hell today it's even the number one cell phone game. Give it the respect it deserves.

In this generation of handhelds, Nintedogs is having the same effect that Tetris had. There's not much to it, but damned if it isn't bringing in the sales and hooking people like crazy.
    Dibs on that. I still play my GB tetris today! Man, great game. Never gets old!
    This is the greatest gif ever NO!!!!!!!! THE SITE TOOK IT OFF :: :: :: :: :: ::
    Another good one! XD
    A weird flash

Thx to Harima Kenji from Wannabefansubs.net for the Avatar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude, pick up the Dx version for GB/C It has a few more modes to play on and I found it overall much more pleasing. The game mechanics of Tetris are really solid. For the guy who doesn't get into puzzlers, don't sweat it.
    Just realize the impact that Tetris had on gaming in general and well... get on with life. I like it, but that doesn't require you to like it as well.

Hex.
    [ Thank goodness, otherwise I'd actually be forced to really like the GTA series... ]

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    Thanks for that link, njiska. It was a really insightful read. I'm currently playing Meteos when sleeping... and it seems to be helping! I hit a high-score of 98,400 on planet Firim while playing the Deluge mode. It all makes sense

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I think that saying that the Gameboy would have failed without Pokemon is like saying that the PS2 would have died without GTA
    If every other console but the ps2 failed then maybe they would.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari
    If every other console but the ps2 failed then maybe they would.
    The Game Boy beat the Atari Lynx and Sega Game Gear into submission with nothing more than four colors and Tetris. No Pokemon there. And I think that of any contender to the Game Boy crown, those two had the most potential.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what people always think is funny, is that I would pick columns on the GG anyday over tetris, thats not to say I hate tetris as it is an awsom game but yeah GO THE COLUMNS!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Emuaust
    what people always think is funny, is that I would pick columns on the GG anyday over tetris, thats not to say I hate tetris as it is an awsom game but yeah GO THE COLUMNS!!!
    I could never get into a knockoff. Never as good as the original.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I could never get into a knockoff. Never as good as the originals.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Often imitated, never duplicated. Long live The Soviet Mindgame. Altough to be fair colums was a decent rip off.