Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Beggar Prince - new Sega Genesis RPG: now shipping!

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VACRMH
    where did I miss that bit of info? I didn't recall reading anything about this game not working on various systems before ordering
    Quoted from www.beggarprince.com :

"Beggar Prince will play in any Sega Genesis, Megadrive or Nomad system regardless of region. Yes, this means that all machines, be they NTSC or PAL, will play the game flawlessly!"

The 32X and SegaCD are seperate systems, altogether.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It does say it is compatible with all region MD systems. But it doesn't specify that it wont work with the Multimega/CD-X. Maybe that should be made clear on the site?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Quoted from www.beggarprince.com :

"Beggar Prince will play in any Sega Genesis, Megadrive or Nomad system regardless of region. Yes, this means that all machines, be they NTSC or PAL, will play the game flawlessly!"

The 32X and SegaCD are seperate systems, altogether.
    That's really very misleading. You say it works flawlessly in "all machines", but what you really mean is it only works flawlessly in the specific machines you mention? CDx means Genesis apparently to eveyone but you.

Honestly you haven't exactly shown yourself to be the type of person that easily owns up to mistakes. There's always justification. But it's ok to admit you didn't know it wouldn't work with the CDx and X-Eye. Just edit the site and post the disclaimer now for future customers. No big deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Considering how popular the CD-x and JVC are duh

I plan to get the game, but considering how many of the same gamers who bought the game are going to be testing it on a JVC or CDX first(due to the CDX and JVC being the best versions of US hardware to play the games on), I second posting a disclaimer about the game not working in these specific units of hardware. It is just stupid marketing to misinform collectors, look at what happened to the NEX. Not a big a big deal man, just be honest with collectors.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Based on all the replies praising the game, I went ahead and ordered a copy.

Can't wait to play it.
    3,582 games and counting! Pics of tons of stuff!
    Come visit and sign the guestbook:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v48/SimplyDave/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Dave
    Based on all the replies praising the game, I went ahead and ordered a copy.

Can't wait to play it.
    Game rocks. You won't be disapointed. (:

...except prehaps by the artwork.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By saying "misleading," you're implying that he did it on purpose. While I agree that the disclaimer should be updated, I don't think that anyone should think SFT deliberately mislead anyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    By saying "misleading," you're implying that he did it on purpose. While I agree that the disclaimer should be updated, I don't think that anyone should think SFT deliberately mislead anyone.
    I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I honestly don't see it as a big issue and one easily corrected. But his reply does make it sound as though he knew the games wouldn't play. It has to be either that or he simply didn't test the games on those systems. He's admitted neither but suggests rather that his disclaimer is sufficiant when it's not.

Again not a big deal at all, certainly not worth arguming schematics over. He just needs to update the website.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default CDX & X-Eye

There are way more people who own a Sega Genesis, or Megadrive, than the CDX or X-Eye. That is a fact. The way these complaints are pouring in, it suggests these two niche consoles are as common as a plain old Sega Genesis. Maybe around here, but not everyone has "CDX or "X-Eye" as the very first thing that pops into their mind (word association style) when somebody says 'Sega Genesis.'

I don't know what the sales figures for the Nomad were and I'm not going to run to Google to hunt them up to try and prove a point, but I'd assume it is comparable to CDX and X-Eye or not a whole lot worse.

He says the game works in "Genesis, Megadrive and Nomad" systems. No more and no less. If it did work in the CDX or X-Eye, I imagine he would have made that a clear selling point. He is a business man, first and foremost, and you can guarantee he'd have been bragging about X-Eye and CDX compatibility if he knew it worked in either of those systems. The fact that he ignored mentioning them altogether in advertising would have made me assume before buying that it didn't work in those machines.

I can see it both ways.

From the point of view of the Beggar Prince website:

You could stick 200 Sega Genesis owners into a room at random and you'd be surprised how many probably never heard of the X-Eye or CDX, let alone owned one. I mean what percentage of Genesis owners actually have one or the other, and not just users actually reading this? To many gamers, the Sega Genesis is the big, black Sega Genesis console and not an X-Eye or CDX.

As for the people buying the game:

The only people who will ever likely see a copy are hardcore gamers who spend a lot of time on the internet. It is safe to assume many hardcore Genesis fans actually own CDX and X-Eye. Perhaps offering a cheap solution to make the game compatible with those systems could be in order, but I suppose it is too late to do that or somehow modify future copies.

With all that said, though, I have to side with the buyers on this one. Ultimately they are the ones who will decide whether or not to buy from this party again.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone actually played the game? Can we start a new thread for game impressions or something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Beavertown
    Has anyone actually played the game? Can we start a new thread for game impressions or something?
    I posted my initial impressions back on page 9. I've been waiting for someone else to do the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone try this on a Laseractive? if this dont work my Nomad will have to get all the play.

JS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jsiucho
    Anyone try this on a Laseractive? if this dont work my Nomad will have to get all the play.

JS
    I was just going to ask the same question. This is the deal breaker for me since I don't have anything else to play it on.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: CDX & X-Eye

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango
    There are way more people who own a Sega Genesis, or Megadrive, than the CDX or X-Eye. That is a fact. The way these complaints are pouring in, it suggests these two niche consoles are as common as a plain old Sega Genesis. Maybe around here, but not everyone has "CDX or "X-Eye" as the very first thing that pops into their mind (word association style) when somebody says 'Sega Genesis.'
    Yeah... honestly I've never even heard of an X-Eye. Plus, if VACRMH hadn't shown me a picture of his CDX, I wouldn't have known what that was either.
    I go online sometimes, but ... everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's ... depressing.

--Tara from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

BEST SITE FOR IMPORTS!
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-pfh-71-99.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have an X-Eye. I wish it would play on it but it won't. I'm disappointed since I don't have a Genny on hand, but how could the developers have known the game would be incompatible with the X'Eye? It's not exactly mainstream and not very common at all. Yes, some of the hardcore gamers might use the X-Eye as their primary Genesis/Sega CD console (I do) due to its design but still... this game must be seeing a hell of a lot more use in Genesis consoles as opposed to X-Eye's and CDX's.

This thread is full of negativity. I'm happy just to have a Genesis game nearly 10 years past the console's active lifespan. I'll take what I can get, artwork be damed.

I started coding a 5200 game a few years back. Got burned out and life just got too busy. I think now and again about going back to work on it again but the amount of shit flung at these guys is amazing. Who wants to work on something for so long only to have it insulted and hear people bitch about how it won't play on their obscure Genny variants?

<ducks rocks>
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

dammit. double post.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I can't possibly be the only person who's bothered to play the game can I? I guess it's time for another update, since people seem to think I've only been negative, as if saying it's the best RPG to hit the Genesis since Shining Force wasn't enthusiastic enough. x_x

Spoilers ahead....

Anyways, level 14 and I just exited the coolest dungeon to date. I'm always a sucker for Egyptian themes, so I loved the pyramid dungeon. It's a bit of a puzzle since all the doors only open in one direction, so you'll find yourself going in circles quite a bit.

I loved the NPC, you'll stumble across a poor adventurer who's too battle beaten to go further, but before he can disclose the secret to the Dunegon's exit a zombie runs by and rips one of his legs off. The gimp then begs your hero to recover his lost limb setting you off on one of the funniest fetch quests I've seen in a 16bit RPG.

Game starts getting pretty difficult at this point. Since there are no shops, any items you find are available in limited quantities. At this point the monsters have started to get fairely tough, just after the desert they'll do 100 hp for a normal attack and 250 for a special. Which leaves you healing every turn, a real drain on MP and doesn't let me explore my offensive spells as much as I'd like. There's also a long stretch between towns. So as soon as you finish the desert, I'd backtrack to the fairy village and heal up.

to be continued....

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How many total copies of the game will be made? Collectors like to know these things, especially if the number is low. Also, I think that a new thread should be started on reviews of the gameplay itself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jagasian2
    How many total copies of the game will be made? Collectors like to know these things, especially if the number is low. Also, I think that a new thread should be started on reviews of the gameplay itself.
    I think I remember reading 500 copies were being made for the initial batch, most of which have already been sold/pre-ordered. Don't know if any more are being made after that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if I order my copy today, how long will it take to get to me (I'm in Indiana)? Also, on your site it says "The product consists of the game cartridge, color instruction manual and plastic clamshell case" but doesn't mention artwork, is it still included? and also, i just wanted to say thank you for your efforts on this project. i normally roam the nes forums so i hadn't heard of this project until today and i've got to say that i am very very excited. the only that kept me from pre ordering right away is my tuition bill.

For anyone who already has the game, what are the dimensions of the artwork, and how bad does it hang over the ends?