Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Beggar Prince - new Sega Genesis RPG: now shipping!

Strawberry (Level 2) ChronoTriggaFoo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No problem with the logo...

But it looks like the cover art was completed with markers. And the "action" cover seems to lack some action. They're just standing there with weapons in hand.

Hopefully the gameplay will make up for it a la Mega Man 1.
    ***If you have any Transformers toys or Three Investigators books, let me know.***

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey
    To be completely honest, that cover is crap. Sorry, but even I could manage something like that in Photoshop.
    So what's preventing you? If everyone thinks they can do a better job then do it and post a link of your work here. Perhaps if it's good enough they may use it.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

To be completely honest, that cover is crap. Sorry, but even I could manage something like that in Photoshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    You've already gone through the trouble of presenting this game as a genuine comercial release. Why discredit the professionalism of the product by releasing it with amateur artwork? It was a really poor choice I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoTriggaFoo
    But it looks like the cover art was completed with markers.
    What's wrong with you people? Seriously. We have a NEW rpg for the Genny and you guys are bitching about the cover? If it's that big of a problem I would suggest not buying one and voicing your opinions with your wallet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drewbrim
    Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    You've already gone through the trouble of presenting this game as a genuine comercial release. Why discredit the professionalism of the product by releasing it with amateur artwork? It was a really poor choice I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoTriggaFoo
    But it looks like the cover art was completed with markers.
    What's wrong with you people? Seriously. We have a NEW rpg for the Genny and you guys are bitching about the cover? If it's that big of a problem I would suggest not buying one and voicing your opinions with your wallet.
    People are very superficial.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Default Re: Beggar Prince - new Sega Genesis RPG: latest news!

Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Each copy will consist of a high-quality color instruction manual and a professionally produced cartridge (NTSC & PAL compatible) enclosed within a plastic clam-shell case complete with color insert.

At Super Fighter Team, we are 100% dedicated to quality. The first Sega Genesis game to be professionally released in years, Beggar Prince will have the same shine & shimmer of a big-budget Genesis title.
    I dunno, maybe it has something to do with the fact that the final product doesn't reflect the initial promises made?

As for why I'll be buying the game? Correction- already bought the game? I'm looking forward to playing it. I also collect Genesis RPGs. So yeah, no brainer there, had to have it. I am let down by the packaging, but look forward to the game as the two concepts are not mutually exclusive. I am allowed like the game and dislike the artwork.

And the artwork is very poorly done. You can make excuses for it all you like, but the drawing's not getting any better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What was the initial promise made? Did ST ever promise a laminated shrinky-dink colorforms cover painted by Boris Vallejo?

Considering some of the covers for Genesis games, this is nothing to get excited over.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    What was the initial promise made? Did ST ever promise a laminated shrinky-dink colorforms cover painted by Boris Vallejo?

Considering some of the covers for Genesis games, this is nothing to get excited over.
    That's what I'm saying. It's no worse than the covers for alot of other Genesis games. And besides that, they also mentioned that they did new artwork for the cover because they felt the original artwork wasn't good enough. So how are we to know that the original artwork isn't even worse?
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Genesis Freak

Ok, so the cover is so so, but you know what, dear gosh we have a new release for the Genesis, which is good enough for me.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the cover design. Those grid paper cases from '89 ruled, and this is far better than the latter-day paper cases.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    I've seen your list of bad Genesis covers. This makes em look pretty darn good in comparison. :P

And what did they promise? A "100% dedication to quality". I'm sorry that artwork does not reflect that statement in the least.

And if I had to choose between bad new art, and bad original art. Geez, safe yourself the bother and go with the orignal look. I realize it's too late to make any changes but I'm not going to kid myself by saying it's any good. Hell even the people arguing with me are saying "Yeah it's bad but..." But nothing. It's just bad. The next game they release, I suggest they learn from their mistakes and hope they go with another artist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Consider what Working Designs gave us in the way of Sega CD packaging, then compare it to this.

No I'm not expecting shiney embossed manuals and all that business for a first release, but they did promise high quality. As far as I'm concerned, WD set the standard for translated game releases (packaging wise, the rest is a debate for another topic), and I'd expect something as good as for my money.

And yes, I did preorder a looooong time ago. Therefore I am actually more interested in the game than the damn box cover, but still......

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

JUST ORDERED MY COPY....COOL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Consider what Working Designs gave us in the way of Sega CD packaging, then compare it to this.

No I'm not expecting shiney embossed manuals and all that business for a first release, but they did promise high quality. As far as I'm concerned, WD set the standard for translated game releases (packaging wise, the rest is a debate for another topic), and I'd expect something as good as for my money.

And yes, I did preorder a looooong time ago. Therefore I am actually more interested in the game than the damn box cover, but still......

The world would have been a better place if every company paid as much attention to packaging as WD did, but you have to look at the truth: most people don't care about box art. Wasn't all the cost of all the special packagings one of the reason's WD had trouble?

I look at it this way: we're getting a plastic clamshell case, and that > any bad box art.

Now if ST opted for the cardboard slip cases, THAT would tick me off! :P

Strawberry (Level 2) ManciGames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh my God. You've got to be kidding me.

In a variation of the words of another poster:

New Genny Game > Bad Box Art
    Manci Games - For the Retro Gamers of the World (RIP)
    Home of Manci Games Retrogaming Magazine
    www.mancigames.com

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Working Designs didn't go under because of the packaging. If anything, the packaging got it more press and sales. What killed WD is SONY saying every game the WD team wanted to bring over didn't have graphics worthy of the PlayStation 2 even though... they were all Japanese PS2 games! SCEA has a real inferiority complex these days and didn't want anything purely 2D or with simple 3D to be released here because it felt things like that made the PS2 look bad in comparison to the Xbox and NGC.

Early on in the PS2's life SCEA was fine with the stuff WD wanted to bring because SCEA was trying to quickly build up the PS2 library. But once Nintendo and Microsoft's competition showed up, SCEA wouldn't have anything to do with game that had "inferior graphics." That's why these days anything 2D is forced to be in a compilation on the PS2.

So WD was in a Catch-22 position: all the great looking games were being bought up by the big boys with deep pockets, and concerning all the leftovers SCEA forced WD to pass. In a desperate attempt, WD even tried to revamp the entire graphics (!) of some of their potentially licensed games. In the end though, the reality of it all showed: a small company, especially a localization house, is no longer welcome in the business world of video games.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I dug through this thread to find the cover art link and I must say that I think the lot of you are being harsh on this cover. The artwork fits right in with the look and feel of the Genesis game. If you are already disappointed by the cover art, you should bring into question your choice to order the game. The screenshots reveal the graphics of the game to be similiar to the cover art, though in a lower resolution.

Myself, I would be very happy to play this game.

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Regardless of what you may think of the game's cover art, let us not forget that each copy of Beggar Prince will ship in a plastic clam-shell case, complete with full-color 27-page instruction manual. I certainly consider the product to be of a very high-quality that every owner will be proud of. I've lost more sleep than I care to mention, just to ensure this is the case!
    Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi,

Do you have a shipping date for this game yet, I have placed an order...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by retroboy
    Hi,

Do you have a shipping date for this game yet, I have placed an order...
    Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    Is it still on course to be shipped in May?
    Yes.

Strawberry (Level 2) ManciGames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: ...

Regardless of what you may think of the game's cover art, let us not forget that each copy of Beggar Prince will ship in a plastic clam-shell case, complete with full-color 27-page instruction manual. I certainly consider the product to be of a very high-quality that every owner will be proud of. I've lost more sleep than I care to mention, just to ensure this is the case!
    CMA, I implllooooooooore you...do not listen to individual naysayers that troll message boards. You can't please everyone. All you can do is put out the best possible product that you can with the resources that you have. You'll know whether you are doing that or not by what your gut tells you.

If you do that, you will please more than 50% of those that order your game. And if you can please that many, you've done a good job.
    Manci Games - For the Retro Gamers of the World (RIP)
    Home of Manci Games Retrogaming Magazine
    www.mancigames.com