Thread: Dead Commodore 64.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dead Commodore 64.

My Commodore 64 is broken. I know that the problem is not power-related, as I can power-on the unit (as evidenced by the litle red LED) and operate the datasette drive. The problem is, I'm getting zero signal out of the RF port. I know that this is nothing to do with my TV channel being set incorrectly - I keep my channel 7 slot tuned to 36 to recieve RF input from my other machines. Is it worth shelling out on a Mega Drive I A/V lead to test whether it's only the RF port's trouble, or is my system completely dead?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi mate it sounds like the fuse has gone inside.

There is a little "time delay" fuse in Commodore 64's and I found that if the fuse has gone, the computer displays no picture from the RF port..

It is a 250v 1.5A time delay fuse, I *think* its about 25mm or something, but im not totally sure.

I have a few of these, they are 1.6A which is only a fraction of a higher rating, and ive tried these and they work great.

If you'd like I can sell you a fuse at a minimal cost, or I also have Commodore 64 Scart Leads if you'd like one of those? Just £5 plus postage of £1.25 ?

Anyway, yes, it sounds like its the internal fuse (not a mains fuse its a time-delay fuse which is special) so replacement of that, or buying a scart lead *should* solve the problem..

Hell, I think you might need the fuse even if you get a SCART.. I cant remember.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Even though you say it's not a power supply issue, what you're describing actually is.

I've had many (many x10) power supplies fail on C64s. The typical symptom is powering up to a blank screen. The problem is, they still work however the supply isn't supplying enough power to initialize the system. A lot of mine when they failed if I left them on for about 30 mins (at a blank screen), turned the C64 off and then back on, it would kick in for a little while.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think its the internal fuse.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by icbrkr
    Even though you say it's not a power supply issue, what you're describing actually is.

I've had many (many x10) power supplies fail on C64s. The typical symptom is powering up to a blank screen. The problem is, they still work however the supply isn't supplying enough power to initialize the system. A lot of mine when they failed if I left them on for about 30 mins (at a blank screen), turned the C64 off and then back on, it would kick in for a little while.
    Nope, it can't be the power brick. I should have said, I've tried it with a few other poer supplies I know are working, and get the same results every time. I even tried giving the unit a blast of air to clean all the grime out after doing so.

So yes, I'll have a crack at replacing the fuse. Thanks.

EDIT: Cheers Chaoticjelly. If I can track down the problem, I'll hold you to that

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this does not sound like memory problem but i fix my c64 many moons ago. i had to replace one of the ram chips in the c64. i was lucky to have an old video card around that used the same ram chips.
    i just desoldered it and piggy backed the new chip on each of the c64 chips till it booted up. then i soldered the new chip on top of the original c64 chip.