Thread: Quickie Shrink Wrap Question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Quickie Shrink Wrap Question

Alright, I've never encountered this, so I thought I'd ask.

On a shrink wrapped item, on the seal line itself, is there any chance that the sealing machine can burn the seal line?

I only ask this because on a copy of a sealed game I got, Sega CD btw, there are some spots of brown on the seal line. I just found this, sorta weird. Is this burning, or something else. Indication that the item was resealed? etc, etc.

Sorta bored, so, just wondering if this happens normally.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

in my experience, it's a reseal job from someone holding the sealer down to long on the shrinkwrap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bufftbone
    in my experience, it's a reseal job from someone holding the sealer down to long on the shrinkwrap.
    That's what I thought at first.

Yet, I must say, they picked a friggen perfect condition copy of the game to reseal then.

Isn't there a chance though that it could be a factory mistake?
    ~~~GrayFox~~~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i highly highly doubt it. The heat used in automated sealing machines is below the level needed to brown the seal unless one got jammed or something. And if it did they would probally reseal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting though, on the shrink wrap, there are two very small, perfect circle holes.

I don't know what that means, heh, but it's interesting.

Hopefully someone who knows sealed Sega CD can help.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrayFox
    Isn't there a chance though that it could be a factory mistake?
    ..entirely..

Shrinkwrap machines are called "L-sealers" (at least.. where I work) and are operated by human beings (i.e. .. me.. sometimes). Although the sealing and cutting mechanism is operated by a button.. in some case (depending on the machine model) the button CAN be held down by the operator. In other cases.. it's pre-timed.

I'm sure there are automated machines as well; but they might only be used in cases were there is a high volume output of product. It never ceases to amaze me how many people assume EVERYTHING is done by a "robot" nowdays. I work in a place that can produce hundreds of units per minute (all by people.. btw) and yet we still use human operated machines to package them.

Experts are a dime a dozen. When you want the right answer.. ask someone who has experience in the field.

I'm not saying your game ISN'T a reseal.. I'm just saying that the burn marks aren't 100% indicative of it.

I've always said when wondering about a reseal. There is only one way to be sure.. open it (Of course.. that's not practical if you want to keep it that way.). Look at the manual in a bright light so that you can see the "sheen" of it. Look for fingerprints or signs of smudging (where a fingerprint has been wiped off). Chances are.. in most cases where a former owner (and a neophyte) has opened the game before.. they handled the manual in some shape or fashion.. and it shows. Of couse.. this method of verification isn't 100% "foolproof" either as the owner may have never touched the manual.. but it is pretty reliable. Also.. observe the way the contents (i.e docs, cart & such) are packed AND "fall out".

The reseal and "point of collecting sealed games" question has been brought up so many times here it's been beat to death. Personally.. while I don't question anybody for their reasons for wanting to collect sealed games (and KEEP them that way) I don't make a point to procure them. I have some sealed games (none of which are particularly HTF).. but I bought them simply because they came that way; at my price. I've kept some still sealed.. but wouldn't hesitate to open them (And have in the past. I opened 3 of them [SNES] once just to solve a debate in this forum about sealed Majesco games [i.e. made in Mexico]) if I wanted to play them. The one redeeming factor in my purchase of them is I at least know they are "complete" (and I AM a completist when it comes to my games).

Collecting sealed games (other than PSX, NES & SNES titles because of the seam & seals).. is in my opinion something done on faith. Aside from X-raying the box (something I'm sure some people would do if they had access); when you are buying a sealed game (unless it's an obvious reseal) it's done on faith.. which is why I can't just see spending oodles of bucks on a reseal.. even if it is a Nintendo title.

BTW.. I have a sealed copy of Iron Helix (SCD).. and while it doesn't have burn marks.. it DOES have some small globs of plastic along the seam (Indicatice of a dirty cutting wire. Heated wires a used to "cut" the plastic before it is formed and heatshrinked around the product). Any more questions.. feel free to ask.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

In my experience, Sega Cd games (In the UK at least) don't come shrinkwrapped. Or rather, SHOULDN'T come shrinkwrapped ~ If they are original, they'll come with thick style cellophane with folds top and bottom, just like a double disc PlayStation game.

They should also have a spine card too.

If the machine is too hot though, then yeah, I guess parts of he ridge can get browned a bit. Depends on who is operating it at the time. I have some Dvd's where the shrinkwrap is all wonky for some reason... Same can sometimes happen with games, as they are operated by humans.

Best way to tell if it's a reseal is to examine how the gam is sealed. On a Sega Cd game, if the ridge goes anti-clockwise (Top, spine, bottom) then it is probably a lazy reseal, as the ridge will have been created over a gap in the spine. Usually, (This is wher I contradict what I said at the top) if a Sega Cd game is shrinkwrapped, it'll be clock-wise (Top, opening, bottom), as the opening side has a firm section.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks to both scorch56 and Gem, ridiculously helpful answers.

But, on to the post.

Upon closer inspection, I must add, the manual and such looks like it has never been touched. The insides, from what I can see, looks new, to say the least.

Also, on both the front, and the back, in the same position, there are those two small, perfect holes. Do Sega CD games come sealed as this?
    ~~~GrayFox~~~