Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eBay bans other payment processors except Paypal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default eBay bans other payment processors except Paypal

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but let's see what happens.

eBay bans other payment processors

October 17th, 2005

eBay has revised its policies to only allow one online payment service, PayPal. This comes after speculation that Google is preparing a payment service. So far the reaction among eBay users has been mixed.

There are a few interesting notes on the policies page over at eBay:

“From time to time, as new payment services arise, eBay will evaluate them to determine whether they may present trust and safety concerns and are appropriate for the marketplace.”

And one of the ways they will evaluate these new services:

The identity, background and other business interests of the payment service sponsor.
    Source: http://www.googlerumors.com/2005/10/...nt-processors/

Are they even allowed to do that? I can understand that a store can set there own payment policies, but eBay only acts as a mediator between seller and buyer. I don't think they have the right to force payment options on them. If both buyer and seller agree to use Bidpay for example, they can have their account suspended ???

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I doubt that its true, as the url says googlerumors.
    Even if its like this there is no way to stop ppl from using money order, bank transfer etc. Ebay cant controll this.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Note they say "online" here in terms of payment. Non-online payments would be unaffected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The article links to http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...ts-policy.html

Policy

Permitted on eBay.com: Sellers may offer to accept PayPal, credit cards including Mastercard/Visa /Amex/Discover, debit cards and bank electronic payments online for eBay purchases. Sellers may also offer to accept bank-to-bank transfers, often known as bank wire transfers or bank cash transfers, and the online money order service BidPay. Sellers may accept COD (cash on delivery) or cash for in person transactions. Sellers may offer to accept personal checks, money orders (including BidPay), cashier’s checks, certified checks and other negotiable instruments.

Not permitted on eBay.com: Sellers may not solicit buyers to mail cash. Sellers may not ask buyers to send cash through instant cash transfer services (non-bank, point-to-point cash transfers) such as Western Union or Moneygram. Finally, sellers may not request payment through online payment methods not specifically permitted in this policy.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions including:

Listing cancellation

Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings

Listing cancellation

Limits on account privileges

Loss of PowerSeller status

Account suspension

This policy does not affect any payment method commonly offered on eBay today. However, there are some sellers who have listings offering to accept cash and Western Union instant cash transfer, and a few who offer other payment methods that are not permitted under this policy. To avoid disruption of these sellers’ business during the holiday shopping season, eBay will delay enforcement of this policy against existing payment methods until Jan 15, 2006. This policy will be localized for other eBay sites in the coming months.
    After reading this a few times, i did notice that eBay only limits the payment options for sellers. Apparently buyers can still offer to use some of the more questionable methods of payments...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So you're not allowed to ask for payment through Nochex?

Ebay really do take the piss sometimes. This is getting to be practically abuse of a monopoly. Someone should take them to court for it and whip their sorry ass into shape over a few things like this.

Vroomfunkel
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Assuming this is the case, it's blatantly eBay/PayPal running scared from Google's rumoured payment system, and is simply disgusting.

"Hmm, lets see.. looks like Google may be coming up with a PayPal rival. Should we a) work on and resolve the common issues that people have with PayPal so that there's no incentive for them to switch to Google Wallet, or b) Pull all their auctions unless they play along with us"

I've been looking forward to Google Wallet since it was first rumoured, and there's no way I'm going to be discouraged from using by shady tactics like this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

eBay couldn't enforce it of it were true. If I won a game and went to GooglePayments or whatever it was called and sent money to the seller's account how would eBay stop it let alone even know about it.

The only thing they can do is prohibit those automatic graphic images that go in the auctions that says that you accept that form of payment. But again, if a person were to just manually type it out that you accept Goodle Payments in the auction description it would get the point across.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    But again, if a person were to just manually type it out that you accept Goodle Payments in the auction description it would get the point across.
    And would probably get the auction automatically pulled once eBay's bots spot the words "Google Wallet" or similar.

Sure, there will be available work-arounds, but ebay are going to do their best to make it difficult.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Surely this is against the law, in the same way the Microsoft forcing companies to bundle IE in with Windows is against the law?

It is purely and simply trying to force people who use eBay to also use another service owned by eBay, in order to maximise their profits - that must be against anti-trust law, surely?

Vroomfunkel
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice one Elusive.

Hopefully people will start to give the site a chance and start to use it as it actually wants to offer gamers a fair deal and sorts out the problems ebay are endlessly creating lately.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the policy is regarding how the seller pays ebay fees, not how the buyer pays the seller. Also, I would believe this to be true if a mass e-mail had been sent to anyone with a registered seller account. That was not the case though.
    Completed 60+ trades here on digital press.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitnes
    I think the policy is regarding how the seller pays ebay fees, not how the buyer pays the seller. Also, I would believe this to be true if a mass e-mail had been sent to anyone with a registered seller account. That was not the case though.
    Did you actually read it? It's about what payment options sellers are allowed to offer to buyers:

Not permitted on eBay.com: Sellers may not solicit buyers to mail cash. Sellers may not ask buyers to send cash through instant cash transfer services (non-bank, point-to-point cash transfers) such as Western Union or Moneygram. Finally, sellers may not request payment through online payment methods not specifically permitted in this policy.
    Also, the policy quoted in the article comes from eBay itself. If you don't believe it, read it yourself.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't be suprised if google came out with their own google branded online auction site, no paypal allowed.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alm0stfinished
    I wouldn't be suprised if google came out with their own google branded online auction site, no paypal allowed.
    That would be awesome..

Yes, eBay certainly take the biscuit when it comes to being absolute pigs...!

It's good that other companies are trying to gear up to compete with them...

I believe that if they outlawed other online payments.. they would indeed quickly remove auctions from sellers offering to accept online payments other than PayPal.. all they have is their keyword searches etc that can automatically remove stuff.... if you use the SYI (Sell Your Item) form on eBay and you enter certain words.. it gives you warnings, or won't let you list alltogether!

It must be illegal though, and what right do they have to dictate which method of payment can and cannot be used. Trust and safety? I'll bet PayPal has more fraud than any other online payment service!!!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yok-dfa
    Did you actually read it?
    No, I hadn't but I just did and here is what I'd like to highlight out of it. Right in the first paragraph, the following is said:

eBay strongly encourages sellers to offer payments through PayPal
    Encouraging something and mandating it are two different things. Secondly and also in the first paragraph:

may also offer their buyers the option of paying directly with a credit card online (including through third party checkout)
    Paypal is an example of a 3rd party processor. Google's potential system, therefore, would be as well.

So, the quote listed below is not in reference to a direct 3rd party payment processor, although bidpay may fall under that umbrella because it is not direct.

Quote Originally Posted by yok-dfa
    Finally, sellers may not request payment through online payment methods not specifically permitted in this policy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Question is... How long before Google fancy a shot at auctions? Yahoo got taken over by eBay, but proves that when the going gets tough, eBay shits themselves...

And with VideoGameAuctions.com already doing fairly well in this field, who says Google can't take a shot too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Paypal is an example of a 3rd party processor.
    No, it's not. Paypal is wholly owned by eBay.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfunkel
    So you're not allowed to ask for payment through Nochex?
    l
    You can, the rules say

sellers may not request payment through online payment methods not specifically permitted in this policy

you simply offer as payment methods rather than request.

it is a farce though, lets hope google start an auction site.

Ive stopped using ebay now, theyre a joke !
    http://www.videopac.org The Worlds only dedicated Videopac & Odyssey 2 forums.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    Paypal is an example of a 3rd party processor.
    No, it's not. Paypal is wholly owned by eBay.
    First party would be seller getting credit card info over the phone or in the store and processing it through their own machine. Third party means that the card is processed by someone other than the business owner. I am fully aware that ebay owns paypal.