Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compilations??

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Compilations??

Just wondering how many of you prefer compilations to the originals?

For example, the Midway compilation for current gen systems has Paperboy, Rampage, Marble Madness, Super Sprint, etc. Would you rather have these games on the NES or Master System, or would you just rather buy the compilation and have them all?

I'm not sure which would be better. Having the NES, Master System or Genesis/SNES versions are cool, but they take up a lot of room, and most of them, you can't save your scores. However, it looks cool on your shelf having each game.

On the other hand, Buying the compilation is a lot easier than tracking down the originals, you can save your scores usually, and you save a lot of room on your shelfs.

I was thinking of buying the Mega Man collection, but having the originals on the NES is really cool too.

So, what's your opinion??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

For the midway, capcom and taito collections I prefer the arcade ports compared to the NES versions. So of course i'd love the collections.

I myself prefer the cheaper price and less shelf space taken up. My NES isn't always hooked up, but my Gamecube and PS2 are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If i had the $$$, i'd go for the original releases and not the compilations. Nothing beats playing a game in its original format. In addition, some companies alter their games when it makes it to a compilation. Like when Sega 'upgraded' some of their genesis games to '3D'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the older and newer versions of most compilations, and perfer the modern versions, but it also depends for witch console. The Namco compilation feels soo wrong on the PS2(gameplay speed), the DC and xbox version are very close to the real deal IMO.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i've bought a few of the collections recently.. like the three midways and the first taito.. ooh and also the sonic collections, all the namcos and the megaman collection

i got a good percentage of the games already on carts, discs and tapes across many other systems, but with the collections you get all the bonus pataphanailia like the interviews and stuff... so i prefer the original boxes in my hands, but i also like the new content included in the collections

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with Bazariah. As long as the games contained within a compilation are true to their original form (The Megaman and Sonic collections) I prefer all the extra goodies you'd get!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I generally have all the games on the collections but use them just for convienience. So if I wanna play some Mega Man I don't ahve to hook up the NES just pop the collection in the ol Gamecube.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Honestly for arcade stuff I'd rather play them under MAME. (I'm working on a MAME cocktail table right now) Compilations are nice when the games are not available arcade perfect in other forms - for instance the RUSH games in Midway Arcade Treasures 3, MAME for those just isn't the same at this point.

Now some collections I collect because I like the presentation, namely the import Saturn versions of the Capcom Generation series. (all recently released {with even more games} on the PS2 as Capcom Classics Collection, although I still like my import Saturn versions for the above reason)

As for NES stuff, I love my NES carts (I'm one of those people that has a passion for rows of loose NES games) - however most of the time when I want to play an NES game I do it through emulation on the Dreamcast. It's just easier and I can save my place anywhere so I can fit gaming around other things. Same thing with Gameboy / Gameboy Color - Master System and Game Gear. GB and GBC because of the improved resolution of the large screen. Master System because I don't feel like pulling my complete boxed one out. And GameGear because the freaking Game Gear screen sucks. However sometimes (especially with the NES) I just have to use the original hardware and games since no matter what anyone says, it isn't the same otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Enixis
    In addition, some companies alter their games when it makes it to a compilation. Like when Sega 'upgraded' some of their genesis games to '3D'.
    I hope you're not talking about the US release "Sega Classics Collection" which is really the US port of nine of the SegaAges2500 series games. These were loving remakes of classic Sega games with remixed visuals (not trying to break any barriers or anything, just change things around yet keep the feel of the classic graphics in tact) however the games were still built around the original core gameplay.

These were a HOBBYIST GAMER release (not budget titles) and a US release, especially at $20, is something everyone should pick up and try out since it's something new with heavy influences of the classics. Oh yeah, and it has the first EXCELLENT home port of Virtua Racing (improved with some reflection added and it runs at 60FPS as opposed to the 30FPS the original arcade units ran at) - the game taht pretty much paved the road for the Daytona USA's and Ridge Racers to follow. As for the complaints that "not even the originals are included!" - they've already been done, the SegaAges series in Japan on the Saturn which contained perfect arcade ports of the classic Sega franchises. These WERE planned for release on the PlayStation at one point but it just didn't happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

I prefer the originals, because of NO LOAD TIME. Some of the games are more fun on console anyway (Colecovision Tapper comes to mind)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VACRMH
    For the midway, capcom and taito collections I prefer the arcade ports compared to the NES versions. So of course i'd love the collections.

I myself prefer the cheaper price and less shelf space taken up. My NES isn't always hooked up, but my Gamecube and PS2 are.
    That's what i like about collections as well they save space and i don't. Have, to worry about having the original hardware still.

Heck long as the... emulation is good i'm all for collections on older games.

Still nothing beats the real deal on some systems but, it's not fun having to keep 'it all and... having it take up space.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It really depends on game to game for me. For Megaman, I just assume own the originals, my NES is always hooked up anyways.

For the Midways, I bought the first two. I only owned a handful of the games anyways, so I not only get different versions of the same game, but also get some new ones.

Then there's stuff like smash TV and Robotron...I know they ported these games to consoles, but how well do they work without 2 sticks??? I dunno, don't have them on carts.

Sure MAME is better (especially the resolution) with whatever controller you want hooked to your PC, but it isn't buying them. Even with my TV-out/stereo hooked up/psx controller AND homemade joystick for my PC, I still rather play games on a console...I dunno...old fashioned I guess.

So I guess my answer is Compilation, then get the few games you want for original console or you are nostalgic for as well.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    arthurotaku

Normally these compilations aren't perfect arcade conversions due imperfect emulation but I still prefer to play these compilations than pc emulators (I hate play on pc). In the new generation of consoles we will see compilations with arcade games better emulated, and it's very good, maybe an much better emulation on capcom classics collection vol. 2?

I like to have all versions of an good title, inferior versions (or not) of home consoles and the arcade version present in any compilation, but in most cases, the arcade version is superior

XBL: ArthurOtaku
    PSN: Arthur-Otaku

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

im still waiting for the day when an irem collection becomes a reality

dragon breed, hammerin harry, r-type, gun force, image fight, in the hunt, kung-fu master, lode runner and mr heli on one disc with extras would be godly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

I prefer a compilation. I just enjoy the arcade versions. Although every time I buy one, I end up playing it for a couple of days and thats it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

both

i like old console ports of arcade games from an acedemic standpoint. it shows off what a machine could do. but i also like compilations for the extras and arcade compilations so i dont feel as guilty for using MAME.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    i like old console ports of arcade games from an acedemic standpoint. it shows off what a machine could do.
    Exactly.

Take Final Fight for instance. The new Capcom Classic Collection version is a dream come true, as it is a spot on arcade emulation that I can play on my TV with my XBox (with a Saturn pad no less. Converter + PS2 Saturn Pad remake = Saturn pads for all 32 bit+ systems!).

On the flip side, I still have the SNES version, FF Guy, the two relatively weak SNES sequels (though 3/Tough was decent), the Sega CD version, the Jp version of Final Fight One for GBA (had enough with the US censorship) and Mighty Final Fight for the NES. I still play all of the different versions (have probably played the GBA version most because of the unlockables, Mighty Final Fight the least) and definitely like to "study" them a bit with some comparison playing.

All I say is keep the compilations coming! Looking forward to Capcom Classics 2 and even the neutered Taito Memories. I have all 5 Namco Museum PSOne games in their first print incarnation, including the Jp only Encore, Xevious 3D/G+ (PSX), Namco Museum (PS2), Mega Man Anniversary Collection (PS2), the 3 Midway comps (XBox), Sonic Mega Collection & Sonic Gems Collection (both Jp, GC), Sega Arcade Classics (PS2), Activision Anthology (PS2), Atari Anniversary Edition Redux (PSX), the aforementioned Capcom Classic Collection (XBox), Konami Arcade Classics (PSX), and even the horrendously overpriced Tecmo Classic Arcade (XBox). Still need to pick up Atari Anthology & Intellivision Lives!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Compilations??

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote
    I'm not sure which would be better. Having the NES, Master System or Genesis/SNES versions are cool, but they take up a lot of room...... On the other hand, Buying the compilation is a lot easier
    Neither - emulation. Gives the benefits of both the actual Console or Arcade game + compact storage - only 1 DVD.

I prefer Atari 2600 ports best 'cause that's what I played as a kid. Never visited the arcade

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the arcade compilations. I only wish they'd give us some different games...how many versions of Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man do we need? I will celebrate like nobody's business if someone ever comes out with a U.S. compilation featuring Crazy Climber...probably never happen.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I prefer both. Buying the collections since my PS2 is always hooked up and it does show the companies there is a market for the collections. Usuually I do play the orginial carts (or roms) but that's when I have said system hooked up at the time.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    These were a HOBBYIST GAMER release (not budget titles) and a US release, especially at $20, is something everyone should pick up and try out since it's something new with heavy influences of the classics. Oh yeah, and it has the first EXCELLENT home port of Virtua Racing (improved with some reflection added and it runs at 60FPS as opposed to the 30FPS the original arcade units ran at) - the game taht pretty much paved the road for the Daytona USA's and Ridge Racers to follow. As for the complaints that "not even the originals are included!" - they've already been done, the SegaAges series in Japan on the Saturn which contained perfect arcade ports of the classic Sega franchises. These WERE planned for release on the PlayStation at one point but it just didn't happen.
    I love the Virtua Racing port, but the gameplay has been changed quite a bit. The driving model is totally different and feels more like Daytona than Virtua. Also, while they bumped up the polygon counts (especially noticable in the tires) and added some neato effects, they didn't bother doing anything about the draw in problems.

The truest port thus far is the 32x version. It's a shame the Saturn port is such a heaping pile of shit. The go karting was fun, but then you realize that the entire game runs at that speed and it only feels fast in the go karts because you're so low to the ground. If there's one thing I REALLY wish they had added to the PS2 version, is the extra tracks from the Saturn version.

Another game that had not-so-subtle gameplay changes is Space Harrier. It's now much closer to Panzer Dragoon, only without the need to worry about 360 degrees of threats.

Phantasy Star had subtle changes to the structure, so if you tried to play it with a walkthrough for the SMS version you'd find yourself getting stuck.

From what I recall of that painful experience with Golden Axe, not only was the first boss removed and the first and second stages crammed together (making the first stage tiresome and boring as fuck), but also the bridge stage was removed entirely.

NOT COMPLAINING THOUGH! I love the 3D Sega Ages packs and I'd love to be able to import more of them, but sadly I've had to focus on getting more US games. One of these days I'll pick up Virtua Fighter 2, and I've already got Vol 22 on preorder. What can I say? I loved Iron Storm and I even played through Sakusen Fire...I simply must have this!

and to answer the OP, while I love having originals, you can't deny the awesome value that a compilation provides. As long as it's put together well (Taito's and Midway's recent efforts) and not poorly (HI NAMCO), it's all good in the hood to score 'em in favor of the originals. In my book, at least.